[comp.sys.amiga] atari

C05089%AKRONVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (don) (10/25/89)

atari is messed up and should not be down loaded!
the file some how was messed up before i sent it out!
i am now tring to get it on a ftp sight here on my end sorry for the
inconvience

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (10/26/89)

In article <2458@nigel.udel.EDU> C05089%AKRONVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (don) writes:
:atari is messed up and should not be down loaded!
:the file some how was messed up before i sent it out!
:i am now tring to get it on a ftp sight here on my end sorry for the
:inconvience

Quick question.  The file seemed to unwarp OK and even boot up.
I don't have any atari disks yet to try it with though.  What exactly got
messed up?
(my unix machine gave fits trying to uudecode, but it uudecoded fine on the
amiga)

Joel

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/27/89)

In article <2458@nigel.udel.EDU> C05089@AKRONVM.BITNET (don) writes:
>atari is messed up and should not be down loaded!
>the file some how was messed up before i sent it out!
Well... it wasn't exactly messed up, you just used a dumb uuencode program.
The uuencode you used uses the space character for the 6-bit value "0".
Somewhere along the way, one of the systems transmitting the program chopped
off trailing blanks.  uudecode on the Amiga is apparently smart enough to
interpolate the missing characters; UNIX uudecode isn't.  I programmatically
modified the file on my UNIX host, adding spaces to lines to make them all
the same length.  I was able to uudecode, download, unwarp, and boot the
results.  Unfortunately it wouldn't do anything useful with the TOS 1.0
single-sided boot disk I fed it.  So: IS this a real emulator, or is it just
an elaborate hoax?  Have you actually run it and gotten TOS to boot?

Amiga systems I tried it on were: A1000 with 2.5MB, A500 with 1MB and fatter
Agnus, A2000 with 3MB and fatter Agnus.  In all cases the program got to the
point where it said "Wait for the drive to chatter and the screen to clear,
then insert a bootable ST disk".  At that point the screen glitched randomly
with messed-up sprites (as you can see if you adjust your screen too far to
the left and run a program that uses sprites).  When I inserted the TOS disk
it made booting noises for about 8 tracks, "chattered" the drive, and
repeated.

Has >ANYONE< had any luck with this?  From Don's upload or any other source?
Maybe "atari is messed up" means that it was bad before uuencode made it
worse?  30K (warped) seems suspiciously small for something that's supposed
to trick TOS into running on Amiga hardware ... especially when there are
several standard AmigaDOS files on the disk taking up part of that space.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945

C05089%AKRONVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (don) (10/30/89)

well i got a anonymous ftp sight with atari st emulator on it .
so try try again , i have now been trying to get this atari program
to work ! i have booted it up and it said after the screen turns blue
and the drive chatters insert a atari formatted disk and most programs will
automaticly load! well i have tried 5 atari disks and on luck!
i have herd many bad things about the program like it never works  !
i have been wanting to study the program to see if its a fake but havent the
time. so down load at your own risk! its at ftp 130.101.5.81 and its in pub!

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (10/31/89)

>well i got a anonymous ftp sight with atari st emulator on it .
>so try try again , i have now been trying to get this atari program
>to work ! i have booted it up and it said after the screen turns blue
>and the drive chatters insert a atari formatted disk and most programs will
>automaticly load! well i have tried 5 atari disks and on luck!
>i have herd many bad things about the program like it never works  !
>i have been wanting to study the program to see if its a fake but havent the
>time. so down load at your own risk! its at ftp 130.101.5.81 and its in pub!

I can't believe how much bandwidth is being wasted on this.  The atari
emulator originally comes from Australia, complete with a pirate copy of
the ST roms on several unregistered tracks of the floppy disk.  To the
best of my knowlege, no complete copies have been distributed in the US,
which is good since they are illegal anyway.

All of this was bandied about less than 6 months ago when someone d/l'ed
a zoo file with the same name.  Naturally the zoo was missing all of the
carefully written tracks.  (At least that was the story then.)  Hope this
discussion dies a quick and boring death...

-ss