[comp.sys.amiga] ST277N-1 noises

jms@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/26/89)

In article <749@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>     drive was replaced with a newer ST277N-1 (I think it was '-1' but maybe
>     '-2', anyway it's 28ms). As soon as the new drive was installed it
>     started to make occasionally sporatic access sounds, usually when the
>     machine is on, but not being used. The sounds don't sound 'bad' and only
>     happen approxiametly every 5 or 6 minutes for about 1 second.

It's probably designed to do that.  I have an ST157N and its embedded SCSI
controller seems to do its own auto-parking.  Or you could call it
"auto-lets-move-the-heads-and-spread-the-lubricant-around".  The muscles in
the disk get cramps from staying in one place for so long, so it has to get
up an stretch a bit.  :-)
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (10/28/89)

In article <719@doctor.Tymnet.COM>, jms@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
> In article <749@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
> >     drive was replaced with a newer ST277N-1 (I think it was '-1' but maybe
> >     '-2', anyway it's 28ms). As soon as the new drive was installed it
> >     started to make occasionally sporatic access sounds, usually when the
>
> It's probably designed to do that.  I have an ST157N and its embedded SCSI
> controller seems to do its own auto-parking.  Or you could call it

This makes sense but why does it have to park every 4 or 5 minutes, even if
I don't use it between parks ( if they are parks). This usually happens
when I'm watching TV, which in my case is a VCR running into the 1080 (that
makes a very good TV). As I said parking sounds like a reasonable
explanation but it would seem that once it is parked it should stay
parked, unless its' muscles do get lethargic and it needs to get up[ and
wander around. Still confused alittle.

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again                   Michael Figg
Heavy on the thirty weight!"                   DLA Systems Automation Center

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton x5179) (10/29/89)

In article <752@dsacg2.UUCP>, nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
> In article <719@doctor.Tymnet.COM>, jms@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>> In article <749@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>> >     drive was replaced with a newer ST277N-1 (I think it was '-1' but maybe
>> >     '-2', anyway it's 28ms). As soon as the new drive was installed it
>> >     started to make occasionally sporatic access sounds, usually when the
>>
>> It's probably designed to do that.  I have an ST157N and its embedded SCSI
>> controller seems to do its own auto-parking.  Or you could call it
>

> This makes sense but why does it have to park every 4 or 5 minutes, even if
> I don't use it between parks ( if they are parks). This usually happens
> when I'm watching TV, which in my case is a VCR running into the 1080 (that
> makes a very good TV). As I said parking sounds like a reasonable
> explanation but it would seem that once it is parked it should stay
> parked, unless its' muscles do get lethargic and it needs to get up[ and
> wander around. Still confused alittle.

Here's what I have noticed with my ST277N (and pre-Kronos A1000 CLTD
controller, although not for much longer):   After a write, there's a second
or two before it flushes the buffer and closes the file which makes a little
noise and flashes the light.  A second or two after THAT, I always hear
a tiny noise and a very brief flash, which I always assumed was the drive
autoparking after a few seconds of non-use.

But about a week ago, for the first time, the drive started doing stuff
by itself when I was **not** accessing it.  Since then it has stopped.
I'm begining to think this might be some sort of virus.  Gee, I hope it
isn't...

Anybody else out there getting unwanted hard disk accesses?

> --
> "Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again                   Michael Figg
> Heavy on the thirty weight!"                   DLA Systems Automation Center
>                                                Columbus, Oh.
>                                                (614)-238-2446 (Temporarily)

Fred Hamilton

rps2@conexch.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (10/31/89)

Those aren't parks, they're track 0 reseeks (otherwise known as "recalibrates")
As to why they happen...I dunno. All SCSI drives do it, some more than
others. Just ignore it. Consider it your Seagate saying, "Hi! I'm healthy!"

--
| "A day without sunshine is like...night!"              |
|  [O O] Rick Stevens                                    |

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (10/31/89)

<Lots of talk about ST277N SCSI harddrives making noises and doing things
by themselves>

> Here's what I have noticed with my ST277N (and pre-Kronos A1000 CLTD
> controller, although not for much longer):   After a write, there's a second
> or two before it flushes the buffer and closes the file which makes a little
> noise and flashes the light.  A second or two after THAT, I always hear
> a tiny noise and a very brief flash, which I always assumed was the drive
> autoparking after a few seconds of non-use.
>
> But about a week ago, for the first time, the drive started doing stuff
> by itself when I was **not** accessing it.  Since then it has stopped.
> I'm begining to think this might be some sort of virus.  Gee, I hope it
> isn't...

Well, (embarrased :-), it turns out that I had selected the "Continuous
Spell Checking" option available in the new ProWrite without knowing what
it did.  All the noises (and the occasional BEEPS that I'd forgotten about
until last night) were due to the spell checker accessing the dictionary
and beeping at me when I goofed up a word.  So.......nevermind.

Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.
Santa Clara, CA