[comp.sys.amiga] Online! v. 2.11 Work Around

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (10/30/89)

One of the irritating quirks of Online's vt100 emulation is that
various control characters shift it into an alternate character set (I
don't remember real vt-100s being such a pain, but it's been awhile).
Anyhow, if your screen output turns to garbage, the following is
quicker than logging out, exiting Online?, restarting Online?, and
logging back in to whatever remote system you use:

	Go to the setup menu, select terminal, and set your terminal
type to something other than vt100; then set it back.  Online? resets
your terminal.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

"Never trust anyone wearing a wedding gown, especially a woman." --
		Sam Malone

ltf@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (10/31/89)

In article <73385@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Anyhow, if your screen output turns to garbage, the following is
>quicker than logging out, exiting Online?, restarting Online?, and
>logging back in to whatever remote system you use:
>
>	Go to the setup menu, select terminal, and set your terminal
>type to something other than vt100; then set it back.  Online? resets
>your terminal.

Another solution is to go to the window menu, select chat on, then select
chat off...this will also clear the screen.

Of course, you could also try typeing a ctrl-o, which, if whatever computer
you're talking to will be so kind as to echo it to your terminal, will reset
the character set to the GO character set...a ctrl-n sets the terminal to the
G1 character set, the one with all the wierd characters.

an ESC-c sequence should also do the job, resetting the terminal to it's
power-on characteristics (although I haven't tried this one, on a real
VT-100, it would do the job).

Lance

--
+-------------------------+ +------------------------------------------+
| Lance T Franklin        | | "And all who heard should see them there,
| ltf@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US | |  And all should cry, Beware!  Beware!
+-------------------------+ +  His flashing eyes, his floating hair!"

bah@tippy.uucp (11/01/89)

In one of the old issues of Amigaworld, someone said to add SETMAP USA0
to the startup-sequence. I tried it, but still get a lot of garbage when
I use either the REVIEW, BUFFER REVIEW, or make a printout. So for me
just using TTY is the simplest way to beat it. I'll try the previous
suggestions next. Also, sure wish there was a way to compose text
within Online! like one could with the old VIP XL for a C64. Still think
that was one of the best terminal programs sold.

    Bob Hahn        tippy!bah@newton.physics.purdue.edu