[comp.sys.amiga] Reflections on VLT

bagchi@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (10/29/89)

	Well...I've finished downloading VLT 4.226 from comp.binaries.amiga.
It's without much doubt the best term program that I've seen for the amiga.
It beats the pants off of commercial programs like Online! and Diga! (further-
more I don't have to deal wit the annoying exclamation point) in terms of
performance.  With anything over 2400 baud, the program would gag at the
excessive speed.  The only other PD term program I have, JRComm was alright
in terms of speed, but it just couldn't compete in terms of features.
VLT seems to a better job in all respects.

	Unfortunately, living on a Macintosh dominated campus (U of M)
I've used the standard term program, VersaTerm.  It is a wonderful program.
My main green-tinge is caused by the display window.  Why is it that with the
exception of the Meshuguma VT-220 emulator (which was really really slow, and
had zilch in terms of features), all Amiga terms have the review buffer as a
separate window?  It's a royal pain in the butt, and I would be much happier
if I could simply use a scroll bar (With interactive scroll) and highlight
what I find interestering.

	Ah, well...I suppose I'm going to continue with VLT.  Maybe the next
version will have such a window.

	-rj
	bagchi@eecs.umich.edu

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (10/31/89)

In article <679@zip.eecs.umich.edu> bagchi@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) writes:

>	Well...I've finished downloading VLT 4.226 from comp.binaries.amiga.
>It's without much doubt the best term program that I've seen for the amiga.

	I used VLT version 3.5xx and was impressed by its features too,
but I decided not to use it.  Why?  Because there was a noticable delay
between the time I pressed a key and the time the character appeared on
the screen.  To me, the singlemost important feature of a terminal is that
it keeps up with my typing.
	VT100 2.8a (and now 2.9) serve me well.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (11/01/89)

In article <3106@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	I used VLT version 3.5xx and was impressed by its features too,
>but I decided not to use it.  Why?  Because there was a noticable delay
>between the time I pressed a key and the time the character appeared on
>the screen.  To me, the singlemost important feature of a terminal is that
>it keeps up with my typing.
>	VT100 2.8a (and now 2.9) serve me well.

  Now this is quite bizarre. I've never noticed such an effect, and
I've been using VLT since before it was publicly distributed, and I'm
a touch typist even. Are you sure that something wasn't hoggin' the
CPU when you tried VLT? I'd recommend trying it again. Especially if
you have any need for Tektronix.

>| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |

  Jim