[comp.sys.amiga] Wordperfect <> ASCII

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (11/01/89)

Hi!  I've hit a minor hassle in learning WP.  My problem is that I want
to print WP documents into straight ASCII (to disk).  I've tried their
print to disk, but it still leaves in line returns and form feeds.

Is there any way to print to a straight ASCII file?  Feel free to email
any responses, 'specially if this has been asked before.  Thanks!
------------
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
------------   "sleep is for the weak and sickly"  ------------

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (11/02/89)

In article <8911010154.AA02367@astro.psu.edu> antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:

>Hi!  I've hit a minor hassle in learning WP.  My problem is that I want
>to print WP documents into straight ASCII (to disk).  I've tried their
>print to disk, but it still leaves in line returns and form feeds.
>
>Is there any way to print to a straight ASCII file?  Feel free to email
>any responses, 'specially if this has been asked before.  Thanks!

Just look at the main (far left hand) menu in WP. See "SAVE TEXT"?
That's what you want to use. Don't go thru the "Print" program..
t'aint necessary.  In the new upgrade "SAVE TEXT" has been changed
and now the selection "EXPORT" with the submenu item "TEXT"
performs the same function.

WordPerfect 4.1 is one of the few Amiga word processors I've used
that doesn't try to turn every paragraph into one ridiculous long
line when you save as ASCII. I use its EXPORT TEXT feature almost
every day of my life and never have seen this "still leaves in line
returns and form feeds" problem you describe.  If you're trying to
send ASCII out of WP thru its separate "PRINT" program than you
should EXPECT to see form feeds 'cuz the PRINT program is treating
the disk file the same as it'd treat continuous perf paper in your
printer. So use EXPORT TEXT instead of PRINT.

If you haven't upgraded yourself to the newest release, do it. The
charge is very nominal (like $10 or $12, or FREE if you previously
reported bugs to WP Corp), and you get three new disks, an
installer program, and 50 pages of new docs for your WP binder. WP
now has REAL file requesters and many little niggling problems have
been remedied. Still the *KING* of non-graphic Amiga word
processors, in my opinion.

--
| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |