[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 v2.9 problems.

kim@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Geoffrey K Kim) (10/22/89)

Has anyone had any problems with the latest (v2.9) of VT100?  When
I converted over from v2.8 the first thing that tipped me off that
something was amiss was that several of my script files which worked
flawlessly under v2.8 would hang on certain ON and WAIT commands.
Next, while logging onto our remote host I noted that control characters
were being displayed rather than interpreted by the emulator.  Does
anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| kim @beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Home of the Garden Weasles)                  |
|        "... ENGAGE!" -- Jean Luc Picard, STTNG                      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) (10/22/89)

In article <7286@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> kim@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Geoffrey K Kim) writes:
>Has anyone had any problems with the latest (v2.9) of VT100?

I, too, had problems with vt100(v2.9).  It seems that it no longer
emulates a vt100 correctly.  Also, the accompanying zmodem package
craps out with errors way too often.  I haven't used zmodem before,
but is it characteristic of zmodem to have such long waits between
the time an error is noticed and the time a retransmission starts?

-Ofer Licht
ofer@gandalf.berkeley.edu

echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (10/23/89)

ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) writes:

>I, too, had problems with vt100(v2.9).  It seems that it no longer
>emulates a vt100 correctly.  Also, the accompanying zmodem package
>craps out with errors way too often.  I haven't used zmodem before,
>but is it characteristic of zmodem to have such long waits between
>the time an error is noticed and the time a retransmission starts?

  I haven't had the zmodem package work once.  If I close the window, it
  ends the zmodem on my host machine, but the transfer never actually starts.

						   -Eli

--
Bitnet: zebcharne@uci.bitnet
Internet: echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu

wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) (10/23/89)

I also have never gotten the Zmodem to work (I have tried for the last
few days).  Also, the Kermit (old version) is defaulting to a very small
packet size.  I tried setting KMAXPACK in my initialization script, but it
doesn't seem to have made any difference.  With the new Kermit, it still
seemed really slow (although the packets MAY have been bigger).  Also, there
are two spots in the file script.c where there is a 'return' without an
argument when there should be one! (you can find these by compiling with
Lattice C) (This may be the reason why it
Guru'ed once when I hit the close gadget).  It would be nice if HANGUP
was recognized in script files too.  And, why doesn't it support 19200 baud?
Anyway, if anyone gets 2.9 working, please let me know.
  //  Bill Dimm  wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU   wcd0@lehigh.BITNET
\X/     "It's not the facts but the explanation that counts." - unknown

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (10/23/89)

In article <3537@orion.cf.uci.edu> echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) writes:
>ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) writes:
>
>  I haven't had the zmodem package work once.  If I close the window, it
>  ends the zmodem on my host machine, but the transfer never actually starts.

For what it's worth..... Zmodem on VT100 (2.9) works fine for me. I am
using the sz/rz programs on a Unix machine to talk to VT100's
sz/rz. They both work, with no hangs (yet).

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/24/89)

In article <7286@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> kim@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Geoffrey K Kim) writes:
>Has anyone had any problems with the latest (v2.9) of VT100?  When
>I converted over from v2.8 the first thing that tipped me off that
>something was amiss was that several of my script files which worked
>flawlessly under v2.8 would hang on certain ON and WAIT commands.

I'm the author of 2.9 (my address is in the documentation that comes with
VT100).  2.9 underwent substantial beta-testing (several months worth) but
that doesn't mean I found all the bugs.  I remember one of my testers
reporting a problem similar to yours...the problem was that the ON command
was actually being encountered (and executed) AFTER the data that was to
be the trigger had been received -- it worked in 2.8 because of a coding
error!  Check out this possibility (the MSG command may be of help here)
and let me know if it solves this particular problem.

>Next, while logging onto our remote host I noted that control characters
>were being displayed rather than interpreted by the emulator.  Does
>anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I've never heard of this one.  It may have to do with your the terminal
settings on your host.  I'm sorry but without more information I'm
afraid I can't help.  Please send me a copy of the scripts that are
failing along with your vt100.init

>| kim @beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Home of the Garden Weasles)                  |

--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

In article <1989Oct22.131448.1113@agate.berkeley.edu> ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) writes:
:I, too, had problems with vt100(v2.9).  It seems that it no longer
:emulates a vt100 correctly.

As I said in an earlier posting, I'm the author of 2.9.  Could you please
e-mail me details of your setup and explain your problems in a little more
detail?

:                             Also, the accompanying zmodem package
:craps out with errors way too often.  I haven't used zmodem before,
:but is it characteristic of zmodem to have such long waits between
:the time an error is noticed and the time a retransmission starts?

I regularly use ZMODEM to our SYSV host with no problems.  Again, please
EMAIL me your setup and a more detailed explanation.

:-Ofer Licht
:ofer@gandalf.berkeley.edu
--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/24/89)

In article <3537@orion.cf.uci.edu> echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) writes:
>  I haven't had the zmodem package work once.  If I close the window, it
>  ends the zmodem on my host machine, but the transfer never actually starts.
>
>						   -Eli

Closing the window will terminate the ZMODEM program.  Please e-mail more
information (like your vt100.init, any scripts used and the commands you
use on your host).

In article <658@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) writes:
>I also have never gotten the Zmodem to work (I have tried for the last
>few days).  Also, the Kermit (old version) is defaulting to a very small
>packet size.  I tried setting KMAXPACK in my initialization script, but it
>doesn't seem to have made any difference.  With the new Kermit, it still
>seemed really slow (although the packets MAY have been bigger).

You also need to tell your host to send/receive long packets.  With
C-Kermit the commands are "set send packet-length 1024" and "set receive
packet-length 1024".  NEITHER side will use long packets unless BOTH sides
request them.

>       Also, there
>are two spots in the file script.c where there is a 'return' without an
>argument when there should be one! (you can find these by compiling with
>Lattice C) (This may be the reason why it
>Guru'ed once when I hit the close gadget).

Hmmmm...I compiled with Lattice and didn't notice these errors (in fact,
the only errors that I remember were from expand.c  Could you be more
specific as to which return statements are in error?  Please EMAIL your
response to me along with your vt100.init and any script files that you
use.

>       It would be nice if HANGUP
>was recognized in script files too.  And, why doesn't it support 19200 baud?
>Anyway, if anyone gets 2.9 working, please let me know.

I have had conflicting reports as to whether 19200 baud works.  For some
it works just fine but for others it munges their data badly.  You can,
of course, add this option to your version.  Same holds true for HANGUP.
I will try to remember to add a HANGUP script command in the next version.

>  //  Bill Dimm  wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU   wcd0@lehigh.BITNET
--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (10/24/89)

Where can one find the sources to sz/rz programs for Unix?
That is of course if they are PD.
-Roger Uzun

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (10/26/89)

In article <7286@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> kim@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Geoffrey K Kim) writes:
>Has anyone had any problems with the latest (v2.9) of VT100?  When

I've had some little problems.  When I do an upload (Xmodem CRC) the byte count
wraps around to negatives.  I suppose I should get the source and recompile
it with long ints.  Also, some scripts don't seem to work the same.  I connected
to Melvyl at UCSD, and instead of clearing the screen it would print ]1]2 -
but I'm not sure if melvyl is to blame or vt100.

PS How do you enable the external Zmodem protocol?

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
Amiga PenPal V1.1 for sale: $90. All original disks, manual, box. Registration.

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (10/26/89)

Another minor bug I noticed: I enable the option to beep at the conclusion of
a down/up-load (DBEEP?) but it does not beep.  This same script worked with
2.8.

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
Amiga PenPal V1.1 for sale: $90. All original disks, manual, box. Registration.

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (10/26/89)

It seems to me that almost all I've seen are problem reports regarding
VT100 2.9.  Gee, Tony, it must get pretty frustrating, eh?

Well, this isn't another problem.  No, this is thanks instead!

In a recent message, Tony Sumrall writes:

>> Hmmmm...I compiled with Lattice and [...lots deleted]

I picked up the sources some days ago, compiled them with Manx 3.6a, and
didn't get a single warning or error.  The resulting binary seemed to
work just fine, although I didn't have the time to test it thoroughly.

Today I made the 'customary' changes (stuff like moving the window down
one pixel to expose the screen depth gadgets...), recompiled, and
started to tweak my existing scripts for it.  (Slight script tweaks
required because lately I've been using VLT for its AREXX support, but
only using a fraction of its features... It's nice, but it's H U G E.)

No problems at all so far.  Same goes for the zmodem stuff - clean
compiles and it works just fine.

While I haven't used it yet, I can see that FORWARD is going to be very
handy.  Doesn't that make this the first PD/shareware type terminal that
can do multiple-branch ON...GOTO stuff?

Just a bit more work to get my AREXX function hosts 'wired in' (maybe the
rexxarplib file requestors, too) and I'll be ready to use 2.9 fulltime,
freeing maybe 80K of precious disk space on my non-hard-drive-equipped
system.

Nice job, Tony!  Looks good so far!  I guess the long wait was worth it
after all.

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav
"I've got a bunch of bananas, and a bottle of bleach..."

jms@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/26/89)

In article <832@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com> acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>In article <1989Oct22.131448.1113@agate.berkeley.edu> ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) writes:
>:I, too, had problems with vt100(v2.9).  It seems that it no longer
>:emulates a vt100 correctly.
>
>As I said in an earlier posting, I'm the author of 2.9.  Could you please
>e-mail me details of your setup and explain your problems in a little more
>detail?

This is what happens when I tried to run the new vt100 program with my old
s:vt100.init file.  I logged in to a Sun 3/50 running SunOS 4.0.3 (bsd).

1> vt100r29/vt100
Can't open rexsyslib.library - AREXX unavailable
   VT100 (V2.9 ACS 8910030) Terminal Window
tardis login: jms
password:
[1;24[24;1
tardis% reset
>[?3l[4l[5l[7h[8h
                 [g

This problem is that vt100 version 2.9 does not respond to any ESCape
sequences if "PARITY NONE" is set.  This puzzled me for a while, since all
the other characters come out OK (as opposed to alternate characters that
you would expect when the high bit is set.)  Typing right-amiga-O or
right-amiga-E makes it work better.  Version 2.8a does not have this problem.

I had a problem while trying to capture this info using the CAPTURE option
to RAM: - it created a file with carriage returns but no linefeeds.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (10/31/89)

In article <125@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>I've had some little problems.  When I do an upload (Xmodem CRC) the byte count
>wraps around to negatives.  I suppose I should get the source and recompile
>it with long ints.  Also, some scripts don't seem to work the same.  I connected
>to Melvyl at UCSD, and instead of clearing the screen it would print ]1]2 -
>but I'm not sure if melvyl is to blame or vt100.

The file-size problem is, I suppose, a *real* bug.  I'll try to remember
to fix it in the next release.  Scripts may not work the same if you use
ON or WAIT commands.  The way that VT100 handles scripts is not too
intuitive in some cases.  You see, VT100 doesn't process a script file
from start to finish.  Instead, it processes one script command then
loops back to wait for data from the serial port (amongst other things).
The next script command (aside from those executed as the result of
matching an ON string) is not executed until after VT100 has processed
the events that woke it up from its Wait() call.  I'm working on a patch
which will cause the script commands to be executed until a DELAY or a
WAIT command is encountered -- this seems to match everyone's expectations
of how it should work.  If you have a counter-proposal or can foresee
problems in handling scripts in this way, PLEASE send me e-mail.

WRT printing "[1[2", what I have seen from folks so far lead me to believe
that they have mismatched parity when connecting to their host (e.g. VT100
is using PARITY NONE but their host is using PARITY EVEN).  If your
situation is different from this PLEASE e-mail.

>PS How do you enable the external Zmodem protocol?

You need to include an EXTERNAL command in your vt100.init (take a look
at the one provided with the VT100 archive) and put the rz and sz commands
into a directory in your path (the external protocols are invoked via
Execute().

>John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
>           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
---
Tony Sumrall   author of VT100 2.9 (and 2.8a and 2.8 and...)

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (11/02/89)

In article <126@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>Another minor bug I noticed: I enable the option to beep at the conclusion of
>a down/up-load (DBEEP?) but it does not beep.  This same script worked with
>2.8.

Hmm...I tried this at home last night and it worked just fine.  Did VT100
hang after you tried that?  Was your volume control turned up :-?  Please
send e-mail and let me know your VT100 configuration (e.g. vt100.init
contents) and whether you can reliably re-create the problem.

In article <23387@cup.portal.com> plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) writes:
:It seems to me that almost all I've seen are problem reports regarding
:VT100 2.9.  Gee, Tony, it must get pretty frustrating, eh?

Yeah but I figure that I'm pretty lucky to only get a half-dozen or so
problems reported with a new release.

:Well, this isn't another problem.  No, this is thanks instead!

Nice to hear it.  Thanks!

:In a recent message, Tony Sumrall writes:
:
:>> Hmmmm...I compiled with Lattice and [...lots deleted]
:
:I picked up the sources some days ago, compiled them with Manx 3.6a, and
:didn't get a single warning or error.  The resulting binary seemed to
:work just fine, although I didn't have the time to test it thoroughly.

There should be no errors reported with Manx (that's my "production" C
compiler...just got the Lattice compiler 'cause I hadn't seen a new Manx
version for so long...and I wanted a new toy :-).  With Lattice there are
quite a few warnings issued from expand.c (never got around to cleaning
those up) and a few warnings from script.c (the guy that told me about
them was right...I apologize for saying that there weren't any there).

There will be a patch release available as soon as I finish closing the
rest of the holes (oh, awright, BUGS...you happy now... :-?)

:Today I made the 'customary' changes (stuff like moving the window down
:one pixel to expose the screen depth gadgets...), recompiled, and
:started to tweak my existing scripts for it.  (Slight script tweaks
:required because lately I've been using VLT for its AREXX support, but
:only using a fraction of its features... It's nice, but it's H U G E.)

Yeah, that's what I hear from most folks that've stayed with VT100.  They
like the features that VLT provides but don't wanna "waste" the space on
features that they don't use.

:While I haven't used it yet, I can see that FORWARD is going to be very
:handy.  Doesn't that make this the first PD/shareware type terminal that
:can do multiple-branch ON...GOTO stuff?

Probably not...there's so much out there, y'know.  But I'm pretty proud
of the FORWARD concept (even though it can slow things down a LOT).  It
also gave me a way to escape from all of the requests for more flexibility
on the script language.  I'm planning on eventually paring the language
down to just a few commands and do all of the interfacing from AREXX (this
will, naturally, be after C=A releases 1.4).

:Just a bit more work to get my AREXX function hosts 'wired in' (maybe the
:rexxarplib file requestors, too) and I'll be ready to use 2.9 fulltime,
:freeing maybe 80K of precious disk space on my non-hard-drive-equipped
:system.

Would you be so kind as to email me a description of your changes like
what extensions you provide and a description of how things appear to the
user? I've been considering using rexxarplib if it's already present on
the user's system (don't wanna make people acquire things that they don't
already have) and so forth.

:Nice job, Tony!  Looks good so far!  I guess the long wait was worth it
:after all.

Glad you like it.

:Rick Plavnicky
:{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav