[comp.sys.amiga] What Is Compuserve

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (10/23/89)

I have been looking for a number of PD programs and I keep being told by people
that so-and-so is on CompuServe. What is CompuServe? Where is CompuServe? How
do I get on CompuServe?

Thanx in advance.

Sean Schur

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (10/23/89)

In article <10228@venera.isi.edu>, schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>that so-and-so is on CompuServe. What is CompuServe? Where is CompuServe? How
>do I get on CompuServe?

...Can you afford CompuServe? :-)

| Jeff Bevis  (bevis)				     "But I don't like spam!" |
| en.ecn.purdue.edu / ei.ecn.purdue.edu	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (10/30/89)

In article <8910230337.AA14494@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
>In article <10228@venera.isi.edu>, schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>>that so-and-so is on CompuServe. What is CompuServe? Where is CompuServe? How
>>do I get on CompuServe?
>>
>...Can you afford CompuServe? :-)
>
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Jeff Bevis  (bevis)				     "But I don't like spam!" |

Have you investigated the costs of CompuServe?  Membership is almost always
free, since CompuServe SnapPacks (free trial memberships) are packed in
almost every modem, sometimes in magazines, and otherwise made readily
available.  I have not seen other networks offering free signup.   The
connect fees?  There is a local CompuServe node available to about 85% of
the people in the U.S., so no telephone charge except for 30 cents per
hour that CompuServe charges for its own packet-switching network.  Then, as
with every other service, there are connect fees.  Please notice that on
CompuServe, the price is the same 24 hours a day.  This is NOT true for
any of the others, to my knowledge.  The connect fees are $6 per hour at
300 baud (excellent for conferencing or for reading and answering messages
while online), and $12.50 per hour at 12/2400 baud, to be used for up and
downloading lots of information in a hurry.

CompuServe offers good service.  It is fast and easy to get around.  Its
B Protocols are fast and accurate.  There is an automated software package
made just for CompuServe (Whap, Library 16 of AmigaTech Forum) that will
sign you on, do all of the uploading and downloading of Email, messages, and
software, and then sign you off to do the reading and other slow work offline
saving lots of money.

If you compare CompuServe's prices with those of other information services,
and consider the fact that they are the same 24 hours a day, you will see
that they are not very different from the others.  During the day, they are
far lower than most.  At 2400 baud they are about the same during evening
hours.  One exception - some networks offer lower rates to those who have
PCPursuit, but then you have to add in the costs of PCPursuit in order to
fairly compare the prices.

Betty

Betty Clay
.........texbell!pollux!bjc
         CompuServe   76702,337

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (10/31/89)

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) writes:

>Have you investigated the costs of CompuServe?  Membership is almost always
>free, since CompuServe SnapPacks (free trial memberships) are packed in
>almost every modem, sometimes in magazines, and otherwise made readily
>available.  I have not seen other networks offering free signup.   The
>connect fees?  There is a local CompuServe node available to about 85% of
                ^^^^^ ^^ ^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^ ^^^
>the people in the U.S., so no telephone charge except for 30 cents per
 ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^  ^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>hour that CompuServe charges for its own packet-switching network.

Yea, but how about the remaining 15 and some odd percent of people who
do not have local CS numbers?  Should we pay addition $$$ / hour to
Telenet on top of regular CS charges?  I don't think it's worth it!

Although I guess that's what happens when you live in Iowa 8-)

-Mike.

The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.
Only Amiga makes is possible.
|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |
|         Pony Express: Dept. of Biomedical Engineering                 |
|                       1146 Veterinary Medicine                        |
|                       Iowa State University                           |
|                       Ames, Iowa   50011                              |
|         Phone:        (515) 294-6520                                  |

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (rob gabbard) (10/31/89)

In article <15983@pollux.UUCP>, bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) writes:
> If you compare CompuServe's prices with those of other information services,

I've been a long time user of Compuserve. I first signed up when I got a C64
in 1983 (remember the VICmodem ? :-) When I got my A2500 I decided to give GEnie
a try since all of the Amiga people I talked to said how cheaper GEnie was and
how much better its services were.

I did get free sign up through the offer in my Supra 2400 and the access was
cheaper than CServ (I don't have the numbers here). But the responsiveness on
GEnie is so slow that I hardly see it as a bargain. I get sick of sitting at
that "Please wait...." prompt over and over again. You also can't type ahead
in GEnie wheras you can in CServ. CServ uses terminal smarts to do screen
clears while GEnie always scrolls. The greatest use of GEnie is their
Round Table conferences and the PD terminal programs that allow visual
conferencing.  So, money saving wise they are about the same but CServ's
software libraries are bigger and it's less frustrating to use.

I'm no GEnie expert so there may be a way to get around these limitations I
listed. If so please let me know. In that case, GEnie would turn out to be
a better bargain than CServ money wise. The software libraries aren't as big
but they are growing.

Flamers to /dev/null.

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!evgabb)                 _    /|
Workstation Systems Programmer                  \'o.O'
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        =(___)=

scott@ssgp32.UU.NET (Scott Evernden) (11/02/89)

In article <15983@pollux.UUCP>, bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) writes:
> CompuServe offers good service.  It is fast and easy to get around.
                                         ^^^^

Fast?? hahah.   Compuserve is the slowest thing I've ever used.  If you
are interested in the Amiga, then join PeopleLink.  It's rates are 1/2
those of Compu$erve, it really is fast, and it features Harv Laser.

-scott
--
Scott Evernden            PRIME Computer Inc.
scott@ssgp32.Prime.COM    Commercial Systems Group