[comp.sys.amiga] What the sales of Mac II's mean

acm131@eric.ccs.northeastern.edu (Craig Scott Lennox) (11/02/89)

It means there are many more Mac II's in circulation!!

				** A Proud Hoser **

					Craig.

mjr@welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/02/89)

	I love my MacII. I use it to hold my coffee machine.

	After about the 200th "Sorry a system error has occurred" I reassigned
it to its current duties.

	Of course, my Amiga is heading in the same direction - I am sick of
braindead GURUs.

--mjr();
--
	He was in his room half awake, half asleep. The walls of the room
seemed to alter angles, elongating and shrinking alternately, then twisting

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/02/89)

in article <3148@nigel.udel.EDU>, acm131@eric.ccs.northeastern.edu (Craig Scott Lennox) says:

> It means there are many more Mac II's in circulation!!

In that "more Mac IIs are circulating", perhaps.  But I doubt that it
implies that there are more Mac IIs, period.  One reasonable explanation
might be that the folks selling Mac IIs are upgrading to IIxs or, more
likely, IIcs or IIcis.  While Apple will let you upgrade a Mac II to a
Mac IIx, that's a pretty expensive upgrade for 15% more speed (being kind)
and the ability to read PS/2 disks.  Unless the used Mac II market gets
saturated, I'll bet it's much better to sell your Mac II and buy a newer
MacII-something.

One reason I like to have Amigas upgradable via add-ins, where possible,
rather than board swaps.  Of course, you can buy a decent Amiga system
for the price of a Mac II -> Mac IIx upgrade...

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/03/89)

in article <1989Nov2.024147.15966@welch.jhu.edu>, mjr@welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) says:

> 	I love my MacII. I use it to hold my coffee machine.

> 	After about the 200th "Sorry a system error has occurred" I reassigned
> it to its current duties.

> 	Of course, my Amiga is heading in the same direction - I am sick of
> braindead GURUs.

I suppose lots of it depends on what you're doing with either machine.  Our
lab Mac IIc crashes far more often, with the one application it runs, than
my office Amiga, which is running tons of different stuff all the time
(even stuff I write myself, which is really tempting fate :-).  The
application on the lab machine is rather new, and I'd certainly expect these
crashes to be much less frequent in the next release of that software.
Despite the crashes, it's doing useful work.

Now, my machine at home crashes constantly, but I'm actually writing the
software there and causing the crashes, so that's to be expected under any
OS without hardware memory protection.  But I'd rather write for the Amiga
OS than UNIX anyway.

--

mjr@welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/03/89)

In article <8388@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <1989Nov2.024147.15966@welch.jhu.edu>, mjr@welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) says:
>
>Now, my machine at home crashes constantly, but I'm actually writing the
>software there and causing the crashes, so that's to be expected under any
>OS without hardware memory protection.  But I'd rather write for the Amiga
>OS than UNIX anyway.

	That's basically what I meant: I simply can't take a machine
without hardware memory protection very seriously. For a machine that
doesn't have it, the Amiga is my favorite, but I'll never consider it a
serious development platform. Just as many people say "I can't imagine a
machine without a multi-tasking OS" :-)  I just have trouble trusting a
machine that can get toasted by applications-level software.

--mjr();