[comp.sys.amiga] anonymous ftp

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (11/10/88)

When you log into an "anonymous FTP" place, you log in as account "anonymous".
When it asks for a password, it doesn't matter what you type.
But whatever it is gets stored on that system.

The guys who set up the anonymous FTP usually have gone to an enormous amount
of work, and they obviously would like to know who is using it.

So as a matter of courtesy, you should use your normal login name as the
password so they know you've been there. This way they get a warm-and-fuzzy
feeling to compensate them for all the work they've done - since they're not
going to get any other reward for it.

A_HINDS%HVRFORD.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (11/02/89)

        Can somebody post the anonymous ftp addresses for amiga
stuff?  Or any ftp addresses for that matter.  (That is again, for
amiga stuff)  Thanks.

Alexander Hinds
A_HINDS@HVRFORD
(^^^^^^ My bitnet address.  This pathetic school has no decent UNIX boxes,
        hence, to direct USENET access.
)

zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) (11/02/89)

In article <3147@nigel.udel.EDU> A_HINDS%HVRFORD.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>        Can somebody post the anonymous ftp addresses for amiga
>stuff?  Or any ftp addresses for that matter.  (That is again, for
>amiga stuff)  Thanks.
>
>Alexander Hinds
>A_HINDS@HVRFORD
>(^^^^^^ My bitnet address.  This pathetic school has no decent UNIX boxes,
>        hence, to direct USENET access.
>)

                    AMIGA SOFTWARE SOURCES (Sep 20, 1989)

The following is a list of mail-servers and anonymous Internet FTP sites that
I know, and which provide a large selection of Amiga software.

Please keep me informed about any new sites, mail-archives, IP-addresses, and
directories, as well as the ones which have been removed, changed, or
manipulated (enough to make this list "old").  I'd appreciate it.

My plan is to extend the list of mail servers and UUCP ftp sites etc., in
order to enable people without access to Internet to have some sort of
software source.  If you operate such a server or site, please send me couple
of lines describing how people can connect to it, or send requests, what kind
of programs you have, whether it is also accessible via Internet anonymous
ftp, if yes what the IP-address is, what the directories are etc.  Include any
information you think would be appropriate.  I will add those instructions to
the end of this list, and won't be able to check their validity (is there
someone willing to make that test for me?).  Internet anonymous ftp sites will
be checked as before.  Still, I may miss some directories or removed sites
since I don't have infinite supply of time to spend on this list.  So, please
do not ignore the previous paragraph.

Another thing: Since many people were asking me where a specific file could be
found, because they thought that I also know the contents of the archives
since I know their names, I decided to be able to answer such questions
instead of saying, "Sorry, I don't know!". I set up a mechanism to extract the
contents of FTP-sites using 'ls -CFRla' once a week.  So, I *may* be able to
answer your questions.  e.g.  if you ask the whereabouts of NIB, I'll do a
'fgrep -i nib *' over my files of directory listings, and tell you that they
seem to be existing in f.ms.uky.edu. Also, if you wish, I can email you those
directory listings (either one or all of them).  However, there is no
guarantee that they reflect the *latest* contents of that site. No, I don't
have this service for Mail servers.  *You* can always send a request to the
server for its index.  I shouldn't be contributing to the load.

Name                IP-Address(es)  Files
a.cs.uiuc.edu       128.174.252.1   /pub/amiga/*
                    128.174.237.2
bach.berkeley.edu   128.32.135.1    /pub/*
bucsb.bu.edu        128.197.10.200  /src/AMIGA
cs.utah.edu         128.110.4.21    /pub/amiga-forth/*
cseg.uark.edu       130.184.64.202  /amiga/* (you can also login as 'bbs'
                                              to have bbs service)
etana.tut.fi        128.214.1.1     /amiga/*
e.ms.uky.edu        128.163.128.5   /pub/amiga/*
                                    /comp.sources.amiga/*
f.ms.uky.edu        128.163.128.7   /alt.sources.amiga/*
                                    /comp.sources.amiga/*
                                    /pub/amiga/*
gtss.gatech.edu     128.61.4.1      /pub/*
ix1.cc.utexas.edu   128.83.1.21     /microlib/amiga/*
ix2.cc.utexas.edu   128.83.1.29     /microlib/amiga/*
j.cc.purdue.edu     128.210.9.2     /comp.binaries.amiga/*
                                    /comp.sources.amiga/*
louie.udel.edu      128.175.1.3     /pub/amiga/*
                                    /pub/ka9q/*
sauna.hut.fi        128.214.3.119   /pub/amiga/*
                    192.26.107.100
ssyx.ucsc.edu       128.114.133.1   /pub/amiga/*
swan.ulowell.edu    129.63.224.1    /amiga/*
                    129.63.1.1
tolsun.oulu.fi      128.214.5.6     /amiga/*  (you can also login as 'box'
                                    /amiga3/*  to have bbs service)
                                    /amiga4/*
topaz.rutgers.edu   128.6.4.194     /pyr-public/text/mg2/sys/amiga/*
trantor.umd.edu     128.8.10.14     /info-amiga/*
                                    /pub/*
tukki.jyu.fi        128.214.7.5     /pub/amiga/*
                                    /pub/dnet-amiga.zoo
ucbvax.berkeley.edu 128.32.133.1    /pub/amiga/*
                    128.32.130.12
                    128.32.149.36
                    128.32.137.3
ucsd.ucsd.edu       128.54.16.1     /hamradio/karn/*
                                    /midi/sofware/amiga/*
uihub.cs.uiuc.edu   128.174.252.27  /pub/amiga/*
uunet.uu.net        192.48.96.2     /amiga-sources/*
ux.acss.umn.edu     128.101.63.2    /usenix87/Amiga/*
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu    128.174.5.50    /utils/cshar/*
uxe.cso.uiuc.edu    128.174.5.54    /amiga/*
xanth.cs.odu.edu    128.82.8.1      /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/*
                                    /usenet/comp.sources.amiga/*
                                    /amiga/*

============================= AMIGA MAIL SERVERS =============================

---------------------------------- SERVER 1 ----------------------------------

Correspondence to: greg@noel.CTS.COM

Requests to: amiga-archive@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Registered domain address)
             amiga-archive@ncr-sd.UUCP             (Psuedo-domain address)
             ...!ncr-sd!amiga-archive              (UUCP path)

Ncr-sd is not on the Internet; FTP access is not possible.  Anonymous UUCP is
not supported.

All lines of the incoming mail message are ignored except lines that begin
with either "path" or "send".  (For compatibility with other servers, "help"
and "index" are also recognized and are treated as equivalent to "send help"
and "send index".)

If a line saying "path route-from-us-to-you" is encountered, it will be used
for any subsequent mail.  If the path line is missing, the system will try to
determine the reply address; it's pretty good at guessing, but it's not
perfect.  Try it initially without the path line; if you don't get an answer
in a reasonable period, try again with one.  We run a full domain router, so
the route-from-me-to-you should be a domain address (or a UUCP psuedo-domain
address) if you have one.

Start with "send help" for information on how to get started.

The mail server is actually the beta test version of an archive server that I
hope to fill with Amiga sources and binaries.  If you are interested in
providing some feedback, try the requests "send help" and "send index" to see
how to use it.  I'd appreciate any help you can offer in getting this started.
There's only about 15MB of stuff so far, so I need to make arrangements to get
access to more of the comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga archives; anybody have
this in a form that I can conveniently get?

---------------------------------- SERVER 2 ----------------------------------

Correspondence to: archive-management%kilowatt@sun.com

Requests to: archive-server%kilowatt@sun.com      (domain address)
             ...!sun!kilowatt!archive-server      (UUCP path)

Kilowatt is not FTP-accessible outside Sun.  UUCP to the machine is not
available.

The archives are organized into a series of directories and subdirectories.
There is only one index.  If you ask for an index of a subdirectory, the
server will return the top-level directory index.  This is because we don't
want to maintain 24 different index files.

The archive server has 4 commands.  Each command must be the first word on a
line. The archive server reads your entire message before it does anything, so
you can have several different commands in a single message. The archive
server treats the "Subject:" header line just like any other line of the
message. You can use any combination of upper and lower case letters in the
commands.

Start with a message that says "help" for information on how to get started.

Please add a line saying "path someroute" (you fill in "someroute" with a way
to get from Sun to where you are).  It will be used to reply to your mail.
The best way to go would be to either use a fully qualified Internet domain
name.  If you can't, supply an address relative to a known Internet host (e.g.
host!user@uunet.uu.net).  The mail code of the server software isn't too smart
- if your mail comes in with anything other than a domain address and you
haven't supplied a 'path', chances are good the reply will fall into a black
hole.

The archive server acknowledges your request by return mail.  If you don't get
a message back in a few days (depending on how close you are to Sun on the
network) you should assume something is going wrong, and perhaps try sending
another request, this time with a different "path" command. If you aren't
getting anywhere, try sending a message to "archive-management" at kilowatt
(instead of user "archive-server") where it will be read by a live, warm
person who might be able to figure out how to help you.

The server enforces a concept of quotas and limitations, because the delivery
resources are finite, and there may be many people who would like to make use
of the archive.  For details request the "help" file.

================================ END OF LIST =================================

This file cheerfully lifted from...

>| Mr. Tuna Ertemalp        | Manzanita Park 26X      | Small things together |
>| Stanford University      | Stanford University     |   form the quality,   |
>| Computer Science MS      | Stanford, CA 94305, USA | But quality is not a  |
>| Ertem@Polya.Stanford.Edu | (415) 328-8515          |     small thing!      |

|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |
|University of Washington      |  "Always be sincere, whether you        |
|ZENO@blake.acs.washington.edu |          mean it or not"                |
|   Savery hall, room 135.     |                                         |

sfs654@csc.anu.oz (11/03/89)

In article <3147@nigel.udel.EDU>, A_HINDS%HVRFORD.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>         Can somebody post the anonymous ftp addresses for amiga
> stuff?  Or any ftp addresses for that matter.  (That is again, for
> amiga stuff)  Thanks.
>
> Alexander Hinds
> A_HINDS@HVRFORD

Since posting an equivalent request, I've received information that
in Finland, etana.tut.fi contains a copy of the fish disks, which can be
copied using anonymous ftp.

Any other info would be helpful still.

- SAM (&SIMON) -
sfs654%csc.anu.oz