[comp.sys.amiga] Mailing to Compuserve -- an answer

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/02/89)

From the several responses I have so far, the way to mail to a Compuserve
mailbox of the form AAAAA,BBBB is to address your email to
AAAAA.BBBB@compuserve.com.  Note the '.' between AAAAA and BBBB instead of a
comma.  So, to answer my original question, to mail to INFO magazine's
Compuserve mailbox, you would send your mail to 70215.1034@compuserve.com.

Thanks to all who answered and I hope this helps others.

# Baird McIntosh  "Oh it doesn't seem like this Blue Sky's here for me..."   #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (11/02/89)

In article <3144@nigel.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>From the several responses I have so far, the way to mail to a Compuserve
>mailbox of the form AAAAA,BBBB is to address your email to
>AAAAA.BBBB@compuserve.com.  Note the '.' between AAAAA and BBBB instead of a
>comma.  So, to answer my original question, to mail to INFO magazine's
>Compuserve mailbox, you would send your mail to 70215.1034@compuserve.com.

Ok, that's fine and dandy, but, can the person who receives this message
reply back easily or at all?  Is the reply path automatically reversed at
their end?

Also, how would somone in compuserve initiate a message to be sent to somone
on internet.

And finally, do any "gates" like this also exist for other services (such as
GEnie?).

Danka,
PD

--
My other .sig is a Porsche.  Boongawa.

harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/03/89)

>Ok, that's fine and dandy, but, can the person who receives this message
>reply back easily or at all?  Is the reply path automatically reversed at
>their end?

To send mail from CompuServe to an internet address, simply address the mail to
INET:<internet address>  For example to send mail to me, you would use CS's
EasyPlex mail service to send mail to INET:HARPER@UXE.CSO.UIUC.EDU.

This is all in theory, though.  I haven't tried it myself.  ;-}

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (11/03/89)

In article <45600074@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>To send mail from CompuServe to an internet address, simply address the mail to
>INET:<internet address>  For example to send mail to me, you would use CS's
>EasyPlex mail service to send mail to INET:HARPER@UXE.CSO.UIUC.EDU.
     Actually, unless they've changed it in the last couple of weeks (when I
last used that facility), the proper form is:
     >INTERNET:address
     Including the > sign. That was the only way I could get it to work,
although once I did get it running, it worked well and quickly.
                                                - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/03/89)

In somebody's article@somewhere, c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (me) writes:
>From the several responses I have so far, the way to mail to a Compuserve
>mailbox of the form AAAAA,BBBB is to address your email to
>AAAAA.BBBB@compuserve.com.  Note the '.' between AAAAA and BBBB instead of a
>comma.  So, to answer my original question, to mail to INFO magazine's
>Compuserve mailbox, you would send your mail to 70215.1034@compuserve.com.

Except that the MAILER here doesn't like .com addresses (usually) so I had to
use the following:
                   70215.1034%compuserve.com@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu
which was suggested by one of the latest responses I got.  I don't give that
person credit here, but apparently the above address works so thanks (you know
who you are).  Anyway, for people who can't use the first address, you might
have luck with the second.