[comp.sys.amiga] BADGE Killer Demo Contest / Winners and Prizes

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (10/25/89)

In article <12576@polya.Stanford.EDU> Tomas G. Rokicki writes:
>Well, folks, I'm just back from the third annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest.
>This contest, under the name BKDC-2 (the first was BKDC-0), went well beyond
>anything I expected. ...
>Thanks to Lee and Ali Ozer, Gary Starkweather, and Grant [something], who
>ran the entire show did a marvelous job.  ...

Grant Tegtmeier.  Thanks Tom, for the kind words.  Lots of other people
helped in many ways, and we'd like to thank them as well:

	Paul Higginbottom, our very helpful and patient Commodore contact
	Paul Malnati, for helping print out the t-shirt iron-ons
	Rob Peck, for donating the use of his PO Box as the collection
		center for demos and getting them to us
	Tom Rokicki, for providing the backup machine (now you know
		why the 32RADIO BBS was down on Friday) and helping with
		the distribution/copying
	Leo Schwab, for MCing
	and everyone at BADGE, for getting the word out

And special thanks go to all the contestants and the prize contributors
(listed below), and AmiEXPO, for providing the use of the Santa Clara
Convention Center.

		BKDC2 --- WINNERS, PRIZES, AND CONTRIBUTORS
Place	Demo & Author		Prize & Contributor
  1	The Sentinel		Amiga 2000
	 by Brad Schenck	 donated by Commodore Business Machines

  2	The VAUX-Killer Demo	A2620
	 by Roger Curren	 donated by Go Amigo

  3	AmigaTrek		Flicker Fixer
	 by Bill Koester	 donated by MicroWay

  4	Klide			DigiView Gold and DigiPaint 3
	 by Jerry Kallaus	 donated by NewTek

  5	Radar Station at Khern	AmigaTeX with set of printer drivers
	 by Jim Robinson	 donated by Radical Eye Software

  6	Spigot			Fantavision, Star Wars, Space Racer, and
	 by Dr. Gandalf		 Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
				 donated by Broderbund

  7	RADBOOGIE		2400 baud micro-modem
	 by Tomas Rokicki	 donated by Xecom

  8	Point of View		Boing Mouse donated by
	 by Todd Gantzler	 Boing/GfxBase

  9	Only Amiga		Microfiche Filer
	 by Rob Peck		 donated by Software Visions

 10	Too Much 3D		TxEd Plus V2.2
	 by Jim Robinson	 donated by Microsmiths

 11	Lost in Scape		Elan Performer
	 by Jim Robinson	 donated by Elan Design

 12	Fantastic Fractals	Programmer's Guide to the Amiga plus Disk and
	 by Kevin Clague	 The Amiga Companion
				 donated by Datapath

 13	Duds			Accolade Mean 18
	 by Stephen Pietrowicz	 donated by Charlie Heath

 Funniest
	The VAUX-Killer Demo	Populous and Zany Golf
	 by Roger Curren	 donated by Electronic Arts

 Best Graphics
	The Sentinel		Boing Jacket
	 by Brad Schenck	 donated by Boing/GfxBase

All 31 contestants will also receive a BKDC-2 t-shirt iron-on donated by
Seiko and printed on a Seiko 5300 thermal printer.  (Before anyone
asks, in case anyone does, we have a limited number of these, just for
the contestants. No more.)

The winners were announced and prizes awarded at AmiEXPO, on Oct 22, Sunday.

Contestants who weren't present will be notified of the results by mail
(real US mail) this week; winners will also receive their prizes at the same
time.

Now the goal is to get the demos out there as soon as possible; because the
distribution is huge we will try to get them to the major distribution centers
before anywhere else.  So, if you wish the see the demos, please be
patient; they will probably be available at an archive or BBS or dealer
near you, and perhaps even on Fish disks, in the coming weeks.  We'll keep
you posted as to the progress of the distribution.

Oh, and start cooking up more great demos, in case we do have a BKDC3.
More later.

Finally, thanks to the net for putting up with months of BKDC2 notices.

Ali Ozer, for the BADGE Killer Demo 2 Committee

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (10/27/89)

In article <12628@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>Oh, and start cooking up more great demos, in case we do have a BKDC3.
					    ^^^^^^^
IN CASE!?!  What a damned alarming thing to say.  I'm just starting on my
first, I'd hate to think there wasn't a contest around for it when I get it
finished :-).

John Munsch

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (10/30/89)

In article <12628@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>Now the goal is to get the demos out there as soon as possible; because the
>distribution is huge we will try to get them to the major distribution centers
>before anywhere else.  So, if you wish the see the demos, please be
>patient; they will probably be available at an archive or BBS or dealer
>near you, and perhaps even on Fish disks, in the coming weeks.  We'll keep
>you posted as to the progress of the distribution.

I just received 9 disks with 12 of the demos on Saturday (10/28) and am in
the process of getting them into the next batch of disks (261 to 270+).
They should be available by next weekend.  I will be incorporating more
of them as I receive them, and can fit them into each new batch of disks.

As a side note, apparently one of the demos that I haven't received yet
takes 8 disks (!!!).  Because of it's size, I'm hesitant to include it in
the normal library set.  I also have other material that people have sent
me, such as a 3-disk bible text set, various multiple disk sets of images,
etc.  What I'm considering doing is starting a separate series for these
large distributions, so that people can order them separately.  This way
those people who maintain a current positive account balance to obtain
disks as they are released, won't have to worry about having them wiped
out in one big gulp for a multidisk set of material they may already have,
or not even want.  Any feedback or additional thoughts on this idea are
welcome.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (10/30/89)

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) writes
>In article <12628@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>>Oh, and start cooking up more great demos, in case we do have a BKDC3.
>                                            ^^^^^^^
>IN CASE!?!  What a damned alarming thing to say.  I'm just starting on my
>first, I'd hate to think there wasn't a contest around for it when I get it
>finished :-).

Speaking of pessimism, does anyone out there have a phone#/email address/
anything I can use to get in touch with A squared?  I still have not
received my prize from them for the BKDC held ***ONE YEAR AGO***!!!
Dale Luck's email address would also come in handy if anyone has it on
the top of their head.

Lets hope this year's contest follow-up is better organized, for the sake
of the sanity of those who won something in the contest just held, not to
mention the reputation of those donating prizes.

John M. Olsen, Graphics Software Engineer
olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM  -or-  ...!hplabs!hpfcdq!olsen
(W) Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525
(H) 700 E. Drake Rd. #E12, Ft Collins, CO 80525

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (10/31/89)

     'In case' there's a BADGE Killer Demo Contest next year???  Ack?!!
It was the highlight of the conference!!!  Well, if you BADGiEs need some
encouragement and support, Classic Concepts will donate a copy of their
Professional Font Library for next year's contest.  That should get some-
thing started!  A truckload of thanks to the organizers of this year's
contest.

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (10/31/89)

In article <233@estinc.UUCP> fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <12628@polya.Stanford.EDU> Ali Ozer writes:
>>Now the goal is to get the demos out there as soon as possible; because the
>>distribution is huge we will try to get them to the major distribution
>>centers before anywhere else.
>
>I just received 9 disks with 12 of the demos on Saturday (10/28) and am in
>the process of getting them into the next batch of disks (261 to 270+). ...
>As a side note, apparently one of the demos that I haven't received yet
>takes 8 disks (!!!).  Because of it's size, I'm hesitant to include it in
>the normal library set.  ...  What I'm considering doing is starting a
>separate series for these large distributions, so that people can order them
>separately ...

I think it sounds reasonable to distribute these large demos separately;
especially considering that you will need 8 Megs of memory, most people won't
be able to enjoy that demo even if they do get it. (The demo actually comes on
ten disks, not 8... I meant to say "requires 8 Megs of memory and comes
on 10 disks.")

By the way, thanks, Fred, for making the demos available so quickly!
The rest of the demos will be on their way to you within the week.

Ali

In article <4710005@hpfcdq.HP.COM> olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:
>Speaking of pessimism, does anyone out there have a phone#/email address/
>anything I can use to get in touch with A squared?  I still have not
>received my prize from them for the BKDC held ***ONE YEAR AGO***!!! ...
>Lets hope this year's contest follow-up is better organized, for the sake
>of the sanity of those who won something in the contest just held, not to
>mention the reputation of those donating prizes.

Hmm; that is pretty bad! We'll check to see if anyone from A-Squared is
at the next BADGE meeting.

This year all prizes were sent to BADGE before the contest; they were all
sitting at the front, on a table, during the judging.  Some were given to
the winners directly at the "awards ceromony," two days later, and the
rest were shipped out this past weekend; winners should receive them soon.

Ali

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (11/02/89)

In article <23532@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>     'In case' there's a BADGE Killer Demo Contest next year???  Ack?!!

I didn't mean to imply there wouldn't be a contest next year; seems like there
certainly is enough interest to have one!  But first BADGE has to get together,
and see how everything went this year, and decide to hold another contest
before we can officially go around and announce BKDC3.  After all, it has been
close to three months since the last BADGE meeting, and we didn't even have
a room for the November meeting so it was not clear that anything was going
to get done. (But I just saw a message from Thad about Foothill providing
a room for BADGE; that's great news; first step towards another contest...)

Anyway, that's the scoop.

Ali

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (11/03/89)

[ I didn't want to post yet about this, but since there's already been
  discussion... ]

In article <233@estinc.UUCP> fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
   I just received 9 disks with 12 of the demos on Saturday (10/28) and am in
   the process of getting them into the next batch of disks (261 to 270+).
   They should be available by next weekend.  I will be incorporating more
   of them as I receive them, and can fit them into each new batch of disks.

I also have this first group of demos, and will begin uploading them
to xanth Friday (I'm going to bring my Amiga to work to do this...).

Between work and my responsibilities with the Regional ACM Programming
Contest we're hosting this weekend, I suspect I'll get the most
uploaded around Sunday.  They will be made available via anonymous ftp
from XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU in /amiga/badge2/ as zoo and warp files...

Please note this is *future* tense.  I'll post an article when I have
them all uploaded...

	...tad

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (11/03/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Nov2153934@oswald.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>They will be made available via anonymous ftp
>from XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU in /amiga/badge2/ as zoo and warp files...

Great!  One question: where can unwarp be FTP'ed from?
	       -- Darren

In article <3229@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
   In article <TADGUY.89Nov2153934@oswald.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
   >They will be made available via anonymous ftp
   >from XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU in /amiga/badge2/ as zoo and warp files...

   Great!  One question: where can unwarp be FTP'ed from?

Warp also unwarps.  If I do warp some of these (I may just use zoo for
everything), I'll include warp with it.

	...tad