[comp.sys.amiga] Can I mail to CompuServe from here?

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/01/89)

My question, more specifically, is:  given someone's CompuServe mailbox,
can I (and how do I) send mail to that person/entity?  I remember seeing
in Larry Phillip's .signature an address to send to on USENET that would
put the mail into his CompuServe mailbox.  Now INFO magazine has a CompuServe
mailbox and it made me wonder how I could send to it from here.  Their
CompuServe box is 70215,1034.

So how do I do this? (or is it possible in this case?) Just curious, thanks.

# Baird McIntosh  "Oh it doesn't seem like this Blue Sky's here for me..."   #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) (11/02/89)

In article <3050@lab.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:

>can I (and how do I) send mail to that person/entity?  I remember seeing
>Their CompuServe box is 70215,1034.
>So how do I do this? (or is it possible in this case?) Just curious, thanks.

Try the following mailing address:

70215.1034@compuserve.COM

Good luck.

--
|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |
|University of Washington      |  "Always be sincere, whether you        |

harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/02/89)

>My question, more specifically, is:  given someone's CompuServe mailbox,
>can I (and how do I) send mail to that person/entity?  I remember seeing
>in Larry Phillip's .signature an address to send to on USENET that would
>put the mail into his CompuServe mailbox.  Now INFO magazine has a CompuServe
>mailbox and it made me wonder how I could send to it from here.  Their
>CompuServe box is 70215,1034.

To send mail to the INFO mailbox, you would type:

mail 70215.1034%COMPUSERVE.COM@SAQQARA.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
          ^
          Note the period!

Hope this actually works.  This is just what I've heard, I haven't actually
tried it myself. ;-)

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (11/02/89)

In article <3050@lab.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
|My question, more specifically, is:  given someone's CompuServe mailbox,
|can I (and how do I) send mail to that person/entity?  I remember seeing
|in Larry Phillip's .signature an address to send to on USENET that would
|put the mail into his CompuServe mailbox.  Now INFO magazine has a CompuServe
|mailbox and it made me wonder how I could send to it from here.  Their
|CompuServe box is 70215,1034.
|
|So how do I do this? (or is it possible in this case?) Just curious, thanks.

     Yup, it's possible.  To send mail to someone on CompuServe, take
the person's UID, and exchange the comma for a period.  Then tack on
"@compuserve.COM", and drop it in the mail.  For example, to send
something to me, send mail to "74756.666@compuserve.COM".  (My User ID
is 74756,666.)  To send to INFO, mail to "70215.1034@compuserve.COM".

     That's all there is to it.

                                --dds

Big Whorls Have Little Whorls         | Dale D. Snell     BIX:  ddsnell
Which Feed On Their Velocity          | UUCP:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
And Little Whorls have Littler Whorls | CompuServe:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
And So On To Viscosity.               | Disclaimer:  My opinions.  Not Tek's

ayrjola@kampi.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (11/03/89)

In article <45600073@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>To send mail to the INFO mailbox, you would type:
>
>mail 70215.1034%COMPUSERVE.COM@SAQQARA.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
>          ^
>          Note the period!
>
>Hope this actually works.  This is just what I've heard, I haven't actually
>tried it myself. ;-)

	I have tried to send e-mail to GoAmigo! address in CompuServe,
	but havent got any reply :-(

	I used same address format that you recommend and it
	*should* work but it does not seem to. Hm, other reason
	could be that GoAmigo! dont want my money...

	You can also try xxxxx.xxxx@compuserve.com ( xxx.xx meaning
	that number in CompuServe ), but all sites dont know how
	to route e-mail to compuserve.com ( trust me, I have tried ;-)

	BTW, does anybody from where I could buy HardFrame in Finland?
	It is nice to have 80 MB Quantum without hd-controller :-I

-->    // This msg is sent by:  Ari  Yrjola    + Internet: ayrjola@kampi.hut.fi
-->:: //  Address: JMT 3B 231b                 + BITNET:   lk-ay@finhut.bitnet
--> :X/           02150 ESPOO ,Finland,Europe  + VoiceNet: +358-0-468 3088

rps2@conexch.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (11/04/89)

In article <3050@lab.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>My question, more specifically, is:  given someone's CompuServe mailbox,
>can I (and how do I) send mail to that person/entity?  I remember seeing
>in Larry Phillip's .signature an address to send to on USENET that would
>put the mail into his CompuServe mailbox.  Now INFO magazine has a CompuServe
>mailbox and it made me wonder how I could send to it from here.  Their
>CompuServe box is 70215,1034.
>
>So how do I do this? (or is it possible in this case?) Just curious, thanks.
>
># Baird McIntosh  "Oh it doesn't seem like this Blue Sky's here for me..."   #
># INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

You can send any mail to CIS by taking the user's PPN, replacing
the "," in it with a ".", and mailing it to the PPN@compuserve.COM.

For example, to send mail to me (my PPN is 75006,1355), send it to

    75006.1355@compuserve.COM

'Nuff said.

--
| "A day without sunshine is like...night!"              |
|  [O O] Rick Stevens                                    |