[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Origins & Trivia

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (10/18/89)

From: Eduardo Horvath <33014-18@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu>
>	Since evryone has been speculating on the origins of the name Amiga,
>I decided to ask the horse's mouth, so I called Jay Miner.  He said that
>Dave Morse was responsible for the name.  The original root was Amic as in
>Amicable, which then underwent cosmetic changes to become Amiga.  Jay wasn't
>very clear about this stuff and promised he would ask Dave and put together
>a posting if he had time.

While you're at the great fountain of Amiga Trivia, how about a few more
answers that have surely been bothering many of us old-timers:

1)  What happened to Daphne and Portia?

2)  What is the significance of the "paw print" inside the Amiga 1000
case along with all the signatures?

(Additional question for extra credit:  Where else did the paw-print
show up?)

   --- Cal

   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
  NW Florida's first Amiga BBS running on NW Florida's FIRST AMIGA!

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (10/19/89)

To answer your questions...

As far as I know, Daphe became Denise and Portia became Paula, perhaps
for aesthetic reasons.

The signatures in the A1000 case are those of the original Los Gatos
blokes, I think.  I'm not sure about the paw print... maybe it was RJ
Mical's dog or something.

Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.

1) What was Kaleidoscope?
2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)
3) What was Brataccas, and why should Psygnosis never be taken seriously
again as punishment?
4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?

Lets see who can come up with the answers to these.

--  Mike (An ex-1000 owner)

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (10/19/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
>500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)
     The "Kickstart Chime?" Wherein the 1000 sends quiet chimes out the
sound channels upon power up?
>4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?
     Graphicraft, I think. I've got a copy.
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (10/19/89)

In article <12974@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
>>500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)
>     The "Kickstart Chime?" Wherein the 1000 sends quiet chimes out the
>sound channels upon power up?

Is it not also the case that the 1000 can control the low-pass
(or is it high-pass) filter and the brightness of the power LED separately?
I was under the impression that on the 2000 and the 500 these are the same
hardware bit and that on the 1000 these are different bits. -- Darren

In article <12974@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>>4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?
>     Graphicraft, I think. I've got a copy.

Is this like the same as Textcraft for graphics?

I have textcraft and I think its is the most wonderful thing!
I can't understand why people complain about a lack
of real wordprocessors for the Amiga, when TextCraft has been
here all along!

If Graphicraft is of the same calibur as TextCraft, how can I get
my copy???

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (10/19/89)

I think the paw print is from Jay Miner's dog.  I remember reading
that the dog would sleep under the drawing table and growl whenever
he drew a gate that wasn't quite right.

OCt

jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (10/19/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>To answer your questions...
>
>The signatures in the A1000 case are those of the original Los Gatos
>blokes, I think.  I'm not sure about the paw print... maybe it was RJ
>Mical's dog or something.
>
>Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.
>
>--  Mike (An ex-1000 owner)

(The dog was Jay Miner's)

Here is some more trivia:

5) What was ABasiC and
   (extra points) what popular computer of 1978 did it model its editor on?
6) Why is there a redraw option on the workbench?
7) Who did the Amiga tutor?
8) How much was Commodore charging initially to tell you about CLI?
9) What is Enable and why did people care about it?
10) When was the last time Commodore show an Ad for the Amiga on network tv,
    and how long did they run?

  // /\   /\/\   | Jonathan Abbey - jonabbey@doc.cc.utexas.edu - (512) 926-5934
\X/ /  \ /    \  | Wanted: Programmers interested in 3d graphics/modem games.

In article <19794@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>5) What was ABasiC and
>   (extra points) what popular computer of 1978 did it model its editor on?
     ABasiC was the original BASIC interpreter for the Amiga. It was replaced
by Amiga Basic. Which was actually an improvement - I've got a copy of ABasiC.
I THINK the editor is the old Atari 400/800 editor. It definately interprets
commands the same way...
>10) When was the last time Commodore show an Ad for the Amiga on network tv,
>    and how long did they run?
     Real network ads? 1985(?) and not very long (I only saw one of them.)
If you count cable (MTV, etc), then 1987, for six weeks I think. I didn't
think they were very good.
                                                         - R'ykandar.
--

In article <5037@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>In article <12974@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>>>4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?
>>     Graphicraft, I think. I've got a copy.
>Is this like the same as Textcraft for graphics?
     Actually, at the time, it was pretty OK. Back in '85, when the Amiga
was first starting to ship, Andy Warhol used it (in conjuction with other
stuff, of course) to produce some fairly neat work.
     Hm. That would have been a good trivia question itself. Anybody remember
any of the names of the pieces he did on the Amiga? (I can't. I've never
been able to remember names...)
                                                    - R'ykandar.
--

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/19/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>To answer your questions...
>
>As far as I know, Daphe became Denise and Portia became Paula, perhaps
>for aesthetic reasons.
Wasn't that the other way around ... Denise became Daphne then Denise
again, and likewise with Paula/Portia.

>Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.
>
>1) What was Kaleidoscope?
The Electronics Arts demo that was shipped with the original 1000s.

>4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?
Was it not GraphicCraft?

--
+ Alan W. McKay       +                                               +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/19/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
> Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.
>
> 1) What was Kaleidoscope?

Kaleidoscope was, and still is, the BEST video graphics feast I have ever seen.
It came as a freebie with my A1000 and still gets plenty of use (it's great to
put on at parties...). It never gets boring.

> 2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
> 500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)

Don't tell me that the 500 & 2000 don't play the little song!

> 3) What was Brataccas, and why should Psygnosis never be taken seriously
> again as punishment?

A horrible alleged comic-book like game. Was it made by psygnosis?

> 4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?

Toughie... maybe this was Aegis Images?

> Lets see who can come up with the answers to these.
>
> --  Mike (An ex-1000 owner)

James, a veteran A1000 owner!
--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (10/19/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>3) What was Brataccas, and why should Psygnosis never be taken seriously
>again as punishment?

    A rather un-intuitive game that was supposed to be intuitive. It also
    broke the rules and at least my copy will not run under 1.3.

    Monty Saine

In article <1989Oct19.115718.15994@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>1) What was Kaleidoscope?
>The Electronics Arts demo that was shipped with the original 1000s.

Actually, upon careful reading of the initial screens, it looks like the program that
came with the A1000's is a DEMO of a Kaleidoscope program that EA was going to sell.
Anybody know where to get the real thing?   -- Darren

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (10/19/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.
>
>1) What was Kaleidoscope?
Painted moving shapes all over the place.  Sort of a self-playing color
organ.  Interesting for a little while (when the 1000 came out it was amazing)
>2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
>500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)
"BEE-DEE-BODY-BOO-DEE-BODOT" power-up melody.
>3) What was Brataccas, and why should Psygnosis never be taken seriously
>again as punishment?
I thought Brataccas was pretty cool (but I didn't buy it - it was too hard
to control the character ;^).
>4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?
Duh, I forget...  You mean it wasn't Deluxe Paint?

>Lets see who can come up with the answers to these.
>
>--  Mike (An ex-1000 owner)
Those were pretty easy, Mike, except I'm not sure about #4...

--Steve (a current 1000 owner)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET (10/20/89)

In message <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu writes:

>3) What was Brataccas, and why should Psygnosis never be taken seriously
>again as punishment?

>--  Mike (An ex-1000 owner)

   Brataccas was horrible.  It was obviously a straight port that did not
use the blitter or any of the advanced sound features at all.  All the
early Psygnosis games were crap.  Nice graphics, but slow.

   But I have to give Psygnosis credit.  They sure have improved.
Have you seen Menace?  One of the best arcade games I have ever seen.
Fast scrolling scenery, smooth animation, great sound and awesome graphics
make this one for the books.  I have not seen the releases version of Beast
but I saw a version of it at AmiExpo Chicago and it looked *better* than
anything I have seen in the arcades.

-------
| "Man, is an endangered species" - Terl   _Battlefield Earth_ |
| IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET (Ian Smith)             L Ron Hubbard    |

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (10/20/89)

In article <1994@nigel.udel.EDU>, new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>Is it not also the case that the 1000 can control the low-pass
>(or is it high-pass) filter and the brightness of the power LED separately?
>I was under the impression that on the 2000 and the 500 these are the same
>hardware bit and that on the 1000 these are different bits. -- Darren

Correction: The 1000 *cannot* turn off its output filters...  That was an
improvement for the 500/2000 lot.

| Jeff Bevis  (bevis)				     "But I don't like spam!" |
| en.ecn.purdue.edu / ei.ecn.purdue.edu	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (10/20/89)

   I belive I know the answer to (4).  It's Graphicraft, the infamous,
   do-nothing paint program made by Commodore.  Due to financial crunches,
   I have been unable to get anything else, 'cept Vdraw, which is p.d./
   shareware.
   ---Prem Subrahmanyam

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (10/20/89)

In article <1989Oct19.115718.15994@aucs.uucp>, 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>To answer your questions...
>>
>>1) What was Kaleidoscope?
>The Electronics Arts demo that was shipped with the original 1000s.

And let me tell ya, it was the most useful program I think I've ever owned.
That C/A didn't include a word-processor, paint-program, or other software
with the machine really didn't matter since we had *Kaleidoscope*!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) !!!

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (10/20/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.
>
>1) What was Kaleidoscope?
I got this as part of a 'starter' kit.  Interesting demo.

>2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
>500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)
It only happened with Kickstart.  I don't miss loading kickstart, but I
wouldn't mind a little tune on startup...

>3) What was Brataccas, and why should Psygnosis never be taken seriously
>again as punishment?
Argh!!  Never finished it.  It was SO annoying to play.  I managed to foist
it off when I sold my 1000.

>4) What was the first commercially available paint program for the Amgia?
GraphiCraft?  I dumped this with the 1000 also.

I hope this doesn't make me an 'old-timer'...  I started with KS 1.1.
Perhaps the people who had 1.0 should be considered the 'ancient masters'.

Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (10/20/89)

In article <19794@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>To answer your questions...

[questions deleted for brevity]

>>Here are some other trivia questions for Old Timers.
>>
>>--  Mike (An ex-1000 owner)
>

>Here is some more trivia:
>
>5) What was ABasiC and
>   (extra points) what popular computer of 1978 did it model its editor on?

ABasic was the original BASIC that came with the Amiga.  It was only
available for DOS1.0 machines (1.1 introduced the Microsoft AmigaBASIC).
ABasic had all the graphic hooks built in...i.e. no need for .fd files,
or .bmaps for that matter.  it's editor and front end was based heavily
on Applesoft BASIC.  Many of the commands were the same.
What IS suprising, is that ABasic still works fine with DOS1.3 machines,
and handles extra memory by ignoring it.

THe conputer name?  Apple IIe, of course.

>6) Why is there a redraw option on the workbench?

The Redraw option is a hangover from 1.0 DOS, in that the Workbench graphics
often got munged.  Redraw forces a refresh of the screen.  This would
happen a LOT when scrolling icons, or moving windows in 1.0.
Even in 1.3 it has it's uses, for example WICON doesn't always do it's
expanding windows right when more than two are opening/closing at the same
time.  (WICON is a PD program to do exploding windows and iconization)

>7) Who did the Amiga tutor?

Ah, the Amiga Tutor.  A PROGRAM THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN KEPT.  Mindscape
did a good job on the graphics, and it gives a good idea of what the
Amiga's all about.  It's an interactive intro to Amiga concepts.

I'd bet many new Amiga users wish they had a similar program these days
(NO B->)....B-<  Believe it or not, it still works under DOS1.3, but
not with the Overfed Agnus.  Wonder why......

>8) How much was Commodore charging initially to tell you about CLI?

At the place I bought mine, they wer charging $89 for the Amiga
C and for the Amiga Macro Assembler packages, which were the only
places where there was CLI ANYTHING.  THe Assem manual had the CLI
instructions in it.....the C manual mostly had info so's you could compile
and ALink.  Interesting: There was a copy of the .i files on the old
Cambridge LISP disk!

>9) What is Enable and why did people care about it?

Enable?  Oh yes, Enable/Write.  Back in '86, Enable/Write was a big
WP package on IBM machines.  Was never as bis as WordPerfect, not even
sure if the company that made it still exists.  They were working on
a version that would have been the first "name" WP for the Amiga...I still
have a late beta of it.  Still works, too....though is NOT an intuitive one.

It never DID come out commercially.  Don't know why.

>10) When was the last time Commodore show an Ad for the Amiga on network tv,
>    and how long did they run?

If I recall correctly, those were the "I am an AMiga 500" commercials, they
aired in mid-1987, and ran here in Ca for about three weeks.

>  // /\   /\/\   | Jonathan Abbey - jonabbey@doc.cc.utexas.edu - (512) 926-5934
>\X/ /  \ /    \  | Wanted: Programmers interested in 3d graphics/modem games.

 Here's some trivia for you:

What was AmigaCalc, who wrote it, and what commercial product looks
like it today?  It never was commercially released.

John

w-stephm@microsoft.UUCP (Stephan Mueller) (10/21/89)

In article <19794@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>7) Who did the Amiga tutor?

MindScape.

>9) What is Enable and why did people care about it?

An integrated package from the world of Big Blue.  Word processing,
spreadsheet, etc.  I don't know why people cared about it, I
certainly didn't :-)

>  // /\   /\/\   | Jonathan Abbey - jonabbey@doc.cc.utexas.edu - (512) 926-5934
>\X/ /  \ /    \  | Wanted: Programmers interested in 3d graphics/modem games.

void stephan(void);  // now ANSI compliant with C++ extensions

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (10/21/89)

Okay, I can answer some of your trivia questions....

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 19-Oct-89 Re: Amiga Origins &
> Trivia Jonathan Abbey@walt.cc.u (1007)

> 5) What was ABasiC and
>    (extra points) what popular computer of 1978 did it model its editor
> on?
> 6) Why is there a redraw option on the workbench?
> 7) Who did the Amiga tutor?
> 8) How much was Commodore charging initially to tell you about CLI?
> 9) What is Enable and why did people care about it?
> 10) When was the last time Commodore show an Ad for the Amiga on network
> tv,
>     and how long did they run?

ABasic was the sluggish, lo-res precursor to AmigaBASIC, and it modeled
its alleged editor on that of the TRS-80 (I think).
The Redraw option on the WB is beyond me, but it may be related to that
old "fuel gauge" bug.
AmigaTutor... hmmm.  Mindscape, I think.  Gad, that was a while ago.
The rest is beyond me.

-- Mike

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (10/22/89)

In article <7267@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> djohnson@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Darin Johnson) writes:
>In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>
>I hope this doesn't make me an 'old-timer'...  I started with KS 1.1.
>Perhaps the people who had 1.0 should be considered the 'ancient masters'.

WOW!  All this time I thought I was just another Amigan, but now I know
that I have actually attained the title 'ancient master'.  AWESOME.
May 1.0 rest in peace, or burn in hell.
:-) :-) :-)

--

In article <89292.135300IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET> IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>    But I have to give Psygnosis credit.  They sure have improved.

Technically, yes. They still haven't figured out the difference between a
computer game and an arcade game, though. They've already *got* your money,
so why don't they let you play long enough to enjoy it? Graphics 10, Effects
10, Difficulty 10, Playability 1.

> Have you seen Menace?  One of the best arcade games I have ever seen.

I rest my case.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (10/22/89)

Frighteningly enough, I saw the Kaleidoscope demo on a bulletin board the other
day!  I was tempted to download it, since my Kaleidoscope disk crashed quite a while ago.  (I don't think many people appreciate how much nicer AmigaDOS 1.3 is
to floppies than 1.0 and 1.1 were...)

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (10/23/89)

In article <oZDsRcG00WE501V2Jm@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:

> ABasic was the sluggish, lo-res precursor to AmigaBASIC, and it modeled
> its alleged editor on that of the TRS-80 (I think).

Yes, ABasiC used a "line editor" quite similar to the TRS-80
Basics, and yes its initial running interface used big fat
40 column characters so it looked C64-ish, although that was
easily changed with one command.  But have you ever actually
USED ABasiC? If so I don't see how you can call it sluggish
when comparing it to AmigaBasic which often reacts as though
it's running in slow motion under water.

Find and play any of David Addison's *excellent* ABasiC games
such as Milestone, Tunnelvision, Monopoly, or his card games.
He did some truly amazing stuff with ABasiC and the neat thing
is that it all still works  under 1.3.

--
| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |

pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) (10/23/89)

In article <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:

>1) What was Kaleidoscope?

Wow.  I remeber that.  This was one of the disks that came with the Amiga way
back when ABasiC did.  EOA promised that it would be a commercial program,
and there was a GREAT slide show on that disk that amazed my friends back then.
It also advertised Deluxe-Pinball Construction set, with a great screen shot.
And many other advertisements (which never came to be...) {except Arkanoid}.
Kaleidoscope (the demo) also comes with one of EOA's current software packages.
Can anyone identify it?

--
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Worcester Polytechnic Institute   | "It happens sometimes, people just     |

jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (10/23/89)

In article <oZDsRcG00WE501V2Jm@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>Okay, I can answer some of your trivia questions....

>ABasic was the sluggish, lo-res precursor to AmigaBASIC, and it modeled
>its alleged editor on that of the TRS-80 (I think).
>The Redraw option on the WB is beyond me, but it may be related to that
>old "fuel gauge" bug.
>AmigaTutor... hmmm.  Mindscape, I think.  Gad, that was a while ago.
>The rest is beyond me.
>
>-- Mike

Absolutely correct!  Incidentally, Richard Ramella, who publishes JumpDisk,
wrote for 80 micro way back when, and Online! (as well as MSS itself), was
originally a TRS-80 product!  (I've got ads for the TRS-80 version! 8-))

Anyone interested in a TRS-80 Model I emulator for the Amiga? 8-)

In article <1973@sactoh0.UUCP> hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) writes:
>In article <oZDsRcG00WE501V2Jm@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>
>> ABasic was the sluggish, lo-res precursor to AmigaBASIC, and it modeled
>> its alleged editor on that of the TRS-80 (I think).
>
>Yes, ABasiC used a "line editor" quite similar to the TRS-80
>Basics, and yes its initial running interface used big fat
>40 column characters so it looked C64-ish, although that was
>easily changed with one command.  But have you ever actually
>USED ABasiC? If so I don't see how you can call it sluggish
>when comparing it to AmigaBasic which often reacts as though
>it's running in slow motion under water.

As one who did a good deal of programming in ABasiC way back when
(no software! 8-)) I have to agree.  For me, ABasiC defined the
Amiga feel and style, along with those balloon icons from the orig.
Workbench demos and the multitasking demo. ABasiC had style.. I would
much rather have had an improved ABasiC over the crippled, unsupported
AmigaBasic we have now.  (although a *lot* of nice things have been done
with it).  ABasiC made the power of the machine (sound especially) available
to the user better than anything that's come out since in terms of power
versus difficulty.

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (10/24/89)

In article <1973@sactoh0.UUCP> hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) writes:

>.....  But have you ever actually
>USED ABasiC? If so I don't see how you can call it sluggish
>when comparing it to AmigaBasic which often reacts as though
>it's running in slow motion under water.

'nother piece of trivia, not that this matters to ANYONE but me, but
during a lull in the production of the documentation, the implementors
of ABASIC needed someone to decide on the keywords and to produce the
code for the graphics part of ABASIC.  All of the "normal" programming
staff was too tied up creating what became Workbench 1.0 then 1.1 and
Metacomco had nobody available.  I did the graphics commands for ABASIC;
Metacomco added them to the basic command parser.

============
more trivia ... use-whatcha-got to make whatcha want... some of the
bitplane display code was debugged on an Atari 800 operating in 320 by 200
mode -- Sam Dicker created a program to walk through a 3D maze with the
display in color on the Atari.  Also, the code for driving (an 8049?) for
the keyboard in the first machine was debugged on a SYNERTEK SYM-1 single
board computer, setup to scroll pairs of hex digits from the keyboard across
its 6-digit display with decimal points separating the hex digit pairs.

Rob Peck

33014-18@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Eduardo Horvath) (10/25/89)

In article <1921@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
[ line eater food ]

>2)  What is the significance of the "paw print" inside the Amiga 1000
>case along with all the signatures?

	It's the paw print of Jay Miner's dog, who's name escapes me at
the moment.

>(Additional question for extra credit:  Where else did the paw-print
>show up?)
>
>   --- Cal
>
>   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
> \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
>  NW Florida's first Amiga BBS running on NW Florida's FIRST AMIGA!

         //x                                    =	MEN AT WORK
        /// \	Try:  33014-18@sjsumcs.SJSU.EDU =
       ///   \                                  =	This space
      ///     \		Eduardo Horvath		=	    is
\\\  ///=======\ 				=	   UNDER
 \\\///         \				=	CONSTRUCTION
  \xxx           \miga. The computer for the corruptive mind.

bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) (10/25/89)

 pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) writes:
>  there was a GREAT slide show on that disk that amazed my friends back then.
> It also advertised Deluxe-Pinball Construction set, with a great screen shot.
> And many other advertisements (which never came to be...) {except Arkanoid}.

  Here are all the programs that were advertised in the slide show:
Dr. J & Larry Bird Go One-On-One, Skyfox, Archon, Return to Atlantis,
Arcticfox, Marble Madness, Adventure Construction Set, Seven Cities of Gold,
Deluxe Music Construction Set, PolyScope, Instant Music, Pinball Construction
Set, Deluxe Paint, Deluxe Video Construction Set, Deluxe Printing, and
Financial Cookbook.
  I think most of these eventually came out.  Arkanoid wasn't on the slide
show, probably because it was from a different company.

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.150503.14099@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu> 33014-18@sjsumcs.SJSU.EDU (Eduardo Horvath) writes:
>In article <1921@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>>2)  What is the significance of the "paw print" inside the Amiga 1000
>>case along with all the signatures?
>
>	It's the paw print of Jay Miner's dog, who's name escapes me at
>the moment.

Mitchie  (I'm not sure of the spelling)

>>(Additional question for extra credit:  Where else did the paw-print
>>show up?)

Well, I'm not sure if this is what you're refering to, but...  Many years
ago we made up a bunch of t-shirts with all our signatures silk screened
on it.  Mitchie's "signature" is right there too!
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/27/89)

Assorted trivia responses...

Michael Gordon Shapiro in <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu>:
> 1) What was Kaleidoscope?
Has been answered...  I still think this is a wonderful demo.  I believe I
saw a program that claimed to be the actual Kaleidoscope generator program; I
forget when or where.  It looked like it had MOST of the capabilities of the
demo, but not all.

> 2) What hardware audio capability does the 1000 have that the 2000 and
> 500 don't?  (It relates to powering up...)
Has been answered...  My right sound channel was damaged a couple of years
back and this capability was quite nice -- as the tech messed around with
the machine, all he had to do was turn it on and wait a couple of seconds to
find out whether or not it was fixed.  (The first half of the little tune
comes from the left sound channel, the 2nd from the right).

Jonathan Abbey in <19794@ut-emx.UUCP>:
> 5) What was ABasiC and
>   (extra points) what popular computer of 1978 did it model its editor on?
A weaker BASIC implementation than AmigaBASIC, but with a user interface
several orders of magnitude better.  Recommended if you want to program in
BASIC.

(Lost the reference for this one, but):  Someone asks where else Jay Miner's
dog's footprint appears.  I believe it was actually etched into the mask for
one or more of the custom chips.  Anyone?

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945

gheff@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary R Heffelfinger) (10/27/89)

>>>(Additional question for extra credit:  Where else did the paw-print
>>>show up?)

Can't remember if anyone mentioned this yet, but there is a
Graphic Craft brush that is a paw-print.

Gary

--
             Gary R Heffelfinger ------ gheff@hubcap.clemson.edu
               Clemson University - Info. Systems Development

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (10/30/89)

     I bought my amiga 1000 back in '86.  It came with AmigaDOS 1.1,
AmigaBASIC, AmigaTutor, and PolyScope.  I am not sure if this is the same
thing as the Kaliedoscope program you are talking about.

At any rate, PolyScope has a very impressive graphics display of collages
of triangles, lines, rectangles circles, in all sorts of blending colours.
You could watch it for a long time.

However, when I got a 1 meg Insider board, it failed to work properly.
It would always mess up when it drew circles, turning them into messy boxes.
I tried using FixHunk2, NoFastMem and even ran under KickStart 1.1 with no
luck!

I would like to know if this program has been fixed or if It can be purchased.

P.S.  Also on the PolyScope disk (ElectronicArts) was a SlideShow off their
current games and offerings.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/04/89)

In article <65.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
|Michael Gordon Shapiro in <MZD=X6e00WE7M2tm1o@andrew.cmu.edu>:
|> 1) What was Kaleidoscope?
|Has been answered...  I still think this is a wonderful demo.  I believe I
|saw a program that claimed to be the actual Kaleidoscope generator program; I
|forget when or where.  It looked like it had MOST of the capabilities of the
|demo, but not all.

	It's the generator, not the demo, that's being
	sought, I think.

	Does anyone currently have this program, or know
	how to get it?

Thanks,
--
  .::.	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.