[comp.sys.amiga] 1000 drive problems

GDFAMBROUGH%UALR.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Gare) (10/27/89)

For all of you Amiga 1000 owners...

A friend of mine has an Amiga 1000 and something strange has

happened.  Neither the external nor internal drive will

read a disk. They were both working fine and all of the sudden,

during a computing session, both drives started giving read/

write errors.  A warm boot did not change things.  Turning the

computer off only resulted in not being able to boot up at

all...with ANY version of Kickstart.  The computer just acts as

though you inserted a disk other than Kickstart.  He thinks

maybe one or both of the controller chips have gone berserk.

Any ideas?????

                           Gary
GDFAMBROUGH@UALR
GDFAMBRO@UALR
GDFAMBRO@UALR.BITNET

GDFAMBROUGH%UALR.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Gare) (10/27/89)

For all you Amiga 1000 owners...and others...

A friend of mine is having problems with his disk drives.

He has an Amiga 1000 and was doing some computing when

all the sudden both his internal and external drives

started giving read/write errors.  He did a warm boot

from RAD: to see if this would solve the problem and

nothing doing.  So, as a result he turned the computer off

and back on.  When asked to insert Kickstart he did so...

but all he got was a drive access (like it recognized that

he put a disk in) but no bootup.  He did this with all

his Kickstart versions and received the same result.

He thinks that maybe one or both of his Disk Controller

chips have gone berserk.  Any ideas??

                         Gary

GDFAMBROUGH@UALR
GDFAMBRO@UALR
GDFAMBRO@UALR.BITNET

rps2@conexch.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (10/31/89)

Yes, it's entirely possible you lost a chip. The chips are 8520s, and
there are two of them. One is used primarily for the disks, and one for the
serial port. They're not easy to replace in an A1000, due to the shielding
and such on the board. And they're soldered in, if I recall correctly.
Best bet....take it to an authorized service center.

--
| "A day without sunshine is like...night!"              |
|  [O O] Rick Stevens                                    |

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (11/04/89)

In article <39913@conexch.UUCP> rps2@conexch.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>Yes, it's entirely possible you lost a chip. The chips are 8520s, and
>there are two of them. One is used primarily for the disks, and one for the
>serial port. They're not easy to replace in an A1000, due to the shielding
>and such on the board. And they're soldered in, if I recall correctly.
    look first, mine and all 4 A1000's I've been in are socketed. Besides
swapping them is the first thing to do to check if the problem changes
to the other functions.

    Monty Saine