[comp.sys.amiga] Tek graphics emulation.

estes@iris.ucdavis.edu (Robert Estes) (10/24/89)

Hi,
I'm looking for a terminal emulation program with support for tektronix
4100/4200 graphics.  Are there any out there (PD, or otherwise)?
Thanks, Robert

zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) (10/27/89)

In article <5683@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> estes@iris.ucdavis.edu (Robert Estes) writes:
>Hi,
>I'm looking for a terminal emulation program with support for tektronix
>4100/4200 graphics.  Are there any out there (PD, or otherwise)?
>Thanks, Robert

I think
JRcomm will do this.  Either that or Online.

--
|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |
|University of Washington      |  "Always be sincere, whether you        |

In article <583@milton.acs.washington.edu> zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) writes:
>In article <5683@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> estes@iris.ucdavis.edu (Robert Estes) writes:
||I'm looking for a terminal emulation program with support for tektronix
||4100/4200 graphics.  Are there any out there (PD, or otherwise)?
||Thanks, Robert
|
|I think
|JRcomm will do this.  Either that or Online.

No, neither JRComm nor Online do Tek 4100/4200 graphics.  VLT supports
the most simple Tek 4100 escapes (draw line, point, change color), but it
is not usable with any of the commercial packages.  We've had a Tek 4105
emulator done since 1987, but it is not clear if it will ever be released.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

costello@eplrx7.uucp (Tim Costello) (10/29/89)

From article <20823@usc.edu>, by papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa):
> No, neither JRComm nor Online do Tek 4100/4200 graphics.  VLT supports
> the most simple Tek 4100 escapes (draw line, point, change color), but it
> is not usable with any of the commercial packages.  We've had a Tek 4105
> emulator done since 1987, but it is not clear if it will ever be released.
>
> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
> "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

	Gee, why might that be?  Is there some legal problem with releasing
it?  Could you release it as shareware?  I remember some company from Alabama
was selling a 4105 emulator with adds in AmigaWorld and one other Ami magazine
a few years ago.  However, the add gave a date as to when the package would be
available (another RSN story).  Anyway, as far as I know, the actual package
was never released.  Sorry, I just can't seem to remember the name of the
thing...

	Anyway, I think there is a crying need for this package, at least for
those of us in technical fields.  So many "mainframe" (couldn't think of a
better term) packages that use graphics use 4105 style terminal output, that
almost everyone I know using a PC or a MAC is using a 4x0y emulation package of
some sort.  Including me, as I have a (YECHHH) PS/2 on my desk at work, Amiga's
are not, hmmmm, accepted well around here.  Personally, a commercial package
like that, would make my efforts to convince the powers that be, that I should
have an Amiga on my desk and not this silly (makes me) blue thing.

	I use VLT right now because it's the closest thing available.  The
biggest drawback in it's 4105 emulation is the lack of separate DIALOG and
GRAPHICS areas, which 4x0y terminals do have.  There are also problems with
selective erasure and even tho' differing colors are recognized, sometimes
the color isn't right.  (Quite often I get dark gray instead of white, which
makes it very hard to see against a dark background.)  The latest version of
VLT that I have is 4.064 (I think), if it makes a difference.

Tim Costello
Du Pont
Medical Products
..!uunet!eplrx7!costello

The UUCP Mailer

In article <1989Oct28.200749.14829@eplrx7.uucp> costello@eplrx7.uucp (Tim Costello) writes:
>From article <20823@usc.edu>, by papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa):
[....]
|| is not usable with any of the commercial packages.  We've had a Tek 4105
|| emulator done since 1987, but it is not clear if it will ever be released.
|| -- Marco Papa 'Doc'

|	Gee, why might that be?  Is there some legal problem with releasing
|it?  Could you release it as shareware?

No legal problem. Only *MONEY* is the problem: money to polish the product,
and minimum assured sales for it.  Right now, we can't get either, though
we might end up porting it to MS-Windows. Sad, but true.  BTW, the Tek4105
emulator for the Amiga was shown at AmiEXPO '87 in LA, and I showed it myself
to Willy Langeveld at the last DevCon.  Unlike VLT, our supports each and
every Tek4105 graphics command. But then, since it might never be available,
the issue is moot.

|	Anyway, I think there is a crying need for this package, at least for
|those of us in technical fields.  So many "mainframe" (couldn't think of a
|better term) packages that use graphics use 4105 style terminal output, that
|almost everyone I know using a PC or a MAC is using a 4x0y emulation package of
|some sort.  Including me, as I have a (YECHHH) PS/2 on my desk  not, hmmmm,
|accepted well around here.  Personally, a commercial package
|like that, would make my efforts to convince the powers that be, that I should
|have an Amiga on my desk and not this silly (makes me) blue thing.

It is a chicken and egg problem. Until we can be assured of minimum sales
to fund the rest of the development, we can't do it.  The Amiga sales in
the technical field currently do not support that assurance (and no publisher
seems to be convinced that he could assure us ANY sales).

Shareware? You were joking, right?  At tonight PAX meeting, it was noticed
of how many of the 'earlier' Amiga developers (including myself) now are NOT
developing for the Amiga any more.  Is it a trend? I don't know.

costello@eplrx7.uucp (Tim Costello) (10/30/89)

From article <20893@usc.edu>, by papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa):

> It is a chicken and egg problem. Until we can be assured of minimum sales
> to fund the rest of the development, we can't do it.  The Amiga sales in
> the technical field currently do not support that assurance (and no publisher
> seems to be convinced that he could assure us ANY sales).

	Well, this is a personal opinion, but by in large I'd say that the
MAC caught on around here (and it is BIG here at Du Pont) because of only
three or four programs.  One of them was VersaTerm Pro, a 4105 emulator.

	One of the others was Chem Draw a chemical structure building
program.  I really doubt we'll see a similar program for the Amiga for a
long time.

	BOTH of these programs were done by small, independent developers.
Niche markets you might say but it points out that software was the deciding
factor leading to the hardware decision.  So which is the egg?

> Shareware? You were joking, right?  At tonight PAX meeting, it was noticed

	I'm just looking for some way to have this software appear.

> of how many of the 'earlier' Amiga developers (including myself) now are NOT
> developing for the Amiga any more.  Is it a trend? I don't know.

	And I hope not.

> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
> "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Tim Costello
Du Pont
Medical Products
..uunet!eplrx7!costello

The UUCP Mailer

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (11/04/89)

In article <20893@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>Shareware? You were joking, right?  At tonight PAX meeting, it was noticed
>of how many of the 'earlier' Amiga developers (including myself) now are NOT
>developing for the Amiga any more.  Is it a trend? I don't know.
Sorry to hear this news.

Except for such as Pixmate, AmigaTeX and ACDA's efforts, I don't see
much technical software available for purchase.  There are many
professional, technical programs which I believe would sell. The Amiga
is extremely well suited to lab/real-time activities.  It is my
experience to hear "I agree, but where are the products to implement
this stuff?" I see technical MacII applications popping up all the time
which could be done much better on an Amiga.

Professional applications I need:

 - Instrumentation & data acquisition?
   a. DSP boards & software.
   b. GPIB software such as LabTech on the PC's & Macs.

 - Professional CAD/CAM - If Commodore is serious about CAD/CAM & the
   Amiga as their '89 Annual Report mentions, they should look into funding
   for such as GenericCAD or DITS (Do It ThemSelves).

 - Signal processing.

 - RadioGraphic Image processing. CT is a good start. How about a
   product?  This is one of the areas we are ready to pursue, but it is
   quite expensive for us to develop. I have also talked to several
   doctors and RT's who would LOVE to have such professional
   capabilities with Amigas.  One route is to contract these services &
   turn the result into a product. I'm looking into that also.  We're
   ready to buy. Any volunteers?

 - Function libraries or source code 'libraries'.  These might really
   be more useful to start with. License the stuff & sell it.  Listen
   carefully to your customers & allow for special circumstances. Then
   try to contract finished products based on the function libraries.

   a. FAST signal processing functions? ('881/blitter optimised)
   b. FAST real-time data plotting functions? (like AudioMasterII's
   sampling windows)
   c. FAST 2D/3D (volumetric data) pixel oriented data manipulations.
   d. Data manipulation & report functions?
   Package them with configurable user interface functions and usable
   examples.

 - Math packages (Mathematica)

 - A Postscript Printer Driver? B^)

Right now, I'm trying to build up some of these tools at project
expense, and I'm quite expensive. For those who say such is easy,
remember that not all of the Amiga news readers are hard-core
programmers. I'm a scientist and have other obligations.  Programming
has become a major part of my work over the years, but there
limitations...

Send me some mail. I brainstorm with you. Looks like we have a surplus
of programmers who need some different ideas. Benefits of using the Amiga
for real-time technical applications:
 1) High-speed Synchronous bus.
 2) Shared I/O interrupts
 3) Multitasking & all it's benefits.
Why not pursue them?  Don't forget that there's more $$$/package to be
had in the technical field than in the home market, but higher quality
is essential. I know many more people who adequately supplement their
income from technical software than from non-technical commercial
software.

We have found that the Amiga can do some incredible things in a lab
environment which is starting to turn some heads. They were easy
things. Now I have to come up with a more polished look and better user
interfaces.

I'm ready to do business.

/*
Home oriented software:
What about REAL educational software for kids?
What about REAL musical score editing & printing complete with proper text
handling - like a usable version of DMCS (Dr T's is not acceptible).
etc...
*/

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"