[comp.sys.amiga] NULL device glitch

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/04/89)

In article <3143@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>2.  Verify the backup *YOURSELF*.  Don't trust the "read-after-write"
>options.  Put each of the floppies in *ANOTHER* floppy drive and copy
>the files to NULL: to make sure that they are readable.  Only then are
>you really confident that you have a good backup.

This reminds me; since I have 9Mb on my 2000, and have FACC set up to hold
two full floppy disks worth of data, I commonly copy all of a floppy to
the NULL: device in order to get the data into FACC's caches.  I've noticed
that the output to the console of a command of the form:

	copy df0: null: all

comes out something like:

	Expansion.info..copied
	  Trashcan (dir)   .info..copied
	  c (dir)        Run..copied
	    Fault..copied
	    Install..copied

etc.  Note that the verbosity info for the first file after the (dir) message
comes out on the same line.  When copying to any other device, ram: for
example, this glitch does not occur.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is it
a glitch in the copy command (most likely) or a glitch in the NULL: device
(not so likely since it's copy that issues the messages)?

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf