[comp.sys.amiga] Character generators

GDFAMBROUGH%UALR.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Gare) (10/27/89)

Does anyone know some specifics on CHARACTER GENERATORS used

by television studios etc.  Also, how does the Amiga compare

to these dedicated systems?  Disadvantages? Advantages???

                            Gary

GDFAMBROUGH@UALR
GDFAMBRO@UALR
GDFAMBRO@UALR.BITNET

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct25.232153.5911@agate.berkeley.edu> Robert Gutierrez writes:
>For those of you who dont know, character generator resolution is measured
>in nanoseconds (refresh time). Plain DP-II fonts would be equavelent to,
>say 120ns, and Broadcast Titler is 70ns (so-called cable-TV quality). Well,
>Newtek says the toaster will do 35 NANOSECONDS!!! That is considered broadcast
>quality, and for $1.6k!!! This is a HELL of a lot better than getting a For-A,
>Quantel, or other broadcast character generators, with prices of $5k (for 70ns)
>and $10k (for 35ns) on up.

When browsing through an old Amazing Computing (Vol 3, No 8) I came across
an article called 'V1.4: A Pre-preview' which says (among other things) the
following:
-------------------------------------
Enhanced Chip Set (ECS)

    The ECS consists of the 1 meg
Agnus chip and the new Denise chip.
These chips are plug compatible with
all models of the Amiga, except,
unfortunately, the A1000.

[stuff deleted]

    The new Denise chip will provide
SuperHires mode, Productivity mode
and four Genlock capabilities.

    SuperHires mode (35 nanoseconds
pixels vs the old pixels at 70 ns)
will support up to 1280 horizontal
pixels per scanline on a standard
NTSC or PAL display.
-------------------------------------
Anybody care to comment on this?

>You're damn right I'll be putting in my advanced order for my toaster, since
>my need is right up it's alley.....(subtitling Japanese animated TV shows).
Perhaps you should hold on to your money a little longer.

Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
micke@slaka.UUCP, micke@slaka.sirius.se
{mcvax,munnari,seismo}!enea!liuida!slaka!micke
C86.M-KARLSSON@LINUS.liu.se

laba-2ac@web-1a.berkeley.edu (Na Choon Piaw) (10/29/89)

In article <3756.AA3756@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>In article <1989Oct25.232153.5911@agate.berkeley.edu> Robert Gutierrez writes:
>>For those of you who dont know, character generator resolution is measured
>>in nanoseconds (refresh time).........
[...]
>When browsing through an old Amazing Computing (Vol 3, No 8) I came across
>an article called 'V1.4: A Pre-preview' which says (among other things) the
>following:
>-------------------------------------
>Enhanced Chip Set (ECS)
[...]
>[stuff deleted]
>
>    The new Denise chip will provide
>SuperHires mode, Productivity mode
>and four Genlock capabilities.
>
>    SuperHires mode (35 nanoseconds
>pixels vs the old pixels at 70 ns)
>will support up to 1280 horizontal
>pixels per scanline on a standard
>NTSC or PAL display.
>-------------------------------------
>Anybody care to comment on this?

Here is the problem I have, and maybe you can help.

I subtitle Japanese TV programs, and I've tried to demo the two big char.
generators (titling programs), PV-Gold and Broadcast Titler. The problem
is not the programs, they're excellent, the problem is writing time to Denise.
Some titles I need to do will last on the screen for 1/2 second (15 video
frames), and Denise cannot take the next picture (title) in quick enough,
which leaves me out in the cold waiting for the next title to pop up. Very
unprofessional looking, as far as I'm concerned. Being a broadcast engineering
graduate, I'm trying to go for the look and feel of pro video. The Amiga by-
itself comes damn close, but what I specifically need it to do, I still
have to use a broadcast character generator until they have a faster Denise
or the Toaster.

I would love to hear suggestions.

     Robert Gutierrez
     (from a borrowed acct.)

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (11/04/89)

In article <1989Oct29.044758.14676@agate.berkeley.edu> laba-2ac@web-1a (Robert Gutierrez) writes:
>generators (titling programs), PV-Gold and Broadcast Titler. The problem
>is not the programs, they're excellent, the problem is writing time to Denise.
>Some titles I need to do will last on the screen for 1/2 second (15 video
>frames), and Denise cannot take the next picture (title) in quick enough,

I'm afraid you're blaming the wrong component.  Denise is written to for things
such as changing the color palette (which can be done at over 150,000 changes
per second).  Displaying a new screen involves updating the Copper list, and
well written software can switch screens up to 30 times per second.  That's
assuming that the required frames fit into RAM so that you aren't:
   A) waiting for the next title screen to load from disk, or
   B) waiting for the CPU to create the next screen.

>I still have to use a broadcast character generator until they have a
>faster Denise or the Toaster.

If you are talking about the width of the pixels (35 nanoseconds vs 70 ns)
then the new Denise or Toaster will do it.  But if you are talking about
screens per second, all you need is different software.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms