[comp.sys.amiga] Where are the Amiga commercials?

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (10/18/89)

Would it be at all possible for the people from Commodore-Amiga who read
comp.sys.amiga to post a list of shows or times when we could watch for
the big 'Stevie' commercials?  I know they are just starting up, but it
is really hard for me to watch a whole lot of t.v.  I really want to see
the commercials, but it's gonna be tough to track them down without a
little help.  I was watching Monday Night Football tonite for awhile, but
I didn't see any Amiga ads...I did see an IBM 'PS/2 It!' ad and a Mac ad :-(

Can anyone give specific shows or times to watch?....Please!

Thanks if you can help,

# Baird McIntosh  "...Why do people choose to live their lives...this way?"  #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

jal@pan.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (10/18/89)

In the Detroit area I accidentally caught the ad in the middle of 911
on CBS.  I don't know if it was on Monday Night Football since I couldn't
be bothered to go through several hours of video tape looking for it.
But it seems rather unpredictable right now when those ads are on.

--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)	 It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose.       (v:

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (10/25/89)

Well, I saw the star studded one last night here in Boston.
First off, I think too much emphasis was placed on the stars
and not enough on the REAL star, the computer.  Although, the
screen shots were nice, you almost had to be sitting in
front of the TV to see what was going on.  I have to admit that
the demos were nice.  If anyone out there knows how they did that
space-station animation, please email me.  Having seen a
Tandy (blech) commercial earlier in the night, I noticed that Tandy
really shows you and tells you what the computer can do that's
different from the other PC-Clones.  I'm not sure that your
average PC or Mac literate user will believe that such nifty
graphics can be done on a machine that costs less.
But, hey, don't get me wrong.  I think the ad campaign is the
best thing to come along to help out.  Now if someone at CBM would
give me a student discount on a 2000... :-)

pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) (10/30/89)

I don't know where they got the animation, but from watching the commercial a
few times i'll bet that they assembled the entire shebang on videotape and
just played it through the 1084 while they shot the commercial. I've never
played that baseball game Stevie was playing, but I doubt a commercial game
like that multitasks.

 ProLine: pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID              | Pro-Graphics  24hrs
    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID | 201/469-0049 3/12/24
ARPA/DDN: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID@nosc.mil

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (11/01/89)

In article <621@crash.cts.com>, pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) writes:

> I don't know where they got the animation, but from watching the commercial a
> few times i'll bet that they assembled the entire shebang on videotape and
> just played it through the 1084 while they shot the commercial. I've never
> played that baseball game Stevie was playing, but I doubt a commercial game
> like that multitasks.

If you're talking about the space station animation, it was done by Leo
Schwab.  He showed it at the BKDC.  I don't think the "game" (game?  This
is a SERIOUS computer!) exists, it was another animation.

Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.
Santa Clara, CA

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (11/01/89)

In article <41145@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>If anyone out there knows how they did that space-station animation, ...

Leo Schwab admits to doing that one.  He showed it after the Killer Demo
contest.  It's a run-of-the-mill anim; starting full-screen shot of the
toroidal space station, move the camera back to see a wider view (including
the Earth in the background), then move an Apollo-type space craft until
it docks with the hub of the space station.  The sort of thing that
VideoScape-3D does all the time.

By the way: The space craft has writing on the side.  You can't read it
in the commercial, but it says "A500 EnterBoing".
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (11/02/89)

In article <621@crash.cts.com> pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) writes:

>I don't know where they got the animation, but from watching the commercial a
>few times i'll bet that they assembled the entire shebang on videotape and
>just played it through the 1084 while they shot the commercial. I've never
>played that baseball game Stevie was playing, but I doubt a commercial game
>like that multitasks.

That was no game, that was DPaint III! Riechart vonWolfshield did that over
about a weeks worth of time. By now you now that Leo did the space station
animation, although Riechart told me that he (Riechart) originally wanted to do
a souped up version of Galileo. But the Ad-critters wanted more motion,
so they went with the Space Station. (which was done using Turbo Silver
BTW).

I really like the print ad. Breaks the traditional "My-computer-can-do-
pie-charts-really-really-fast!" kind of ads. The sweep of the testimonials
shows the versitility of the thing. I'd like to see video versions of those
on TV beside the Stevie ads.

mike

                                                      *** mike smithwick ***

"Los Angeles : Where neon goes to die"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (11/04/89)

In article <163@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) writes:
$In article <621@crash.cts.com>, pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) writes:
$
$
$> I don't know where they got the animation, but from watching the commercial a
$> few times i'll bet that they assembled the entire shebang on videotape and
$> just played it through the 1084 while they shot the commercial. I've never
$> played that baseball game Stevie was playing, but I doubt a commercial game
$> like that multitasks.

It is obvious from the above statements that you are not aware of what the
Amiga can really do in terms of Video and Animation!

The animations used in the commercials were all being played back real time
from an Amiga to the monitor in S-VHS mode. You are seeing the system run as
the anims were playing, The only usgae of video tape playback was in "Girl Next
Door" commercial where we played the sequence back to the girls television
set from the overlayed tape.  The Baseball animation was done by Silent
Software as was the space Animation "Leo Schwab" and the Music Animation By
Reichart. The Girl Next Door graphics and the Best New Album graphic at the
Music awards opening were done by Rick Probst of Pacific Motion, He also has
done Three Men and A Baby, Good Morning Vietnam, DOA, Shoot To Kill, and a slew
of other Trailor Titles as well as the openings for the new tv show RollerGames.
He works exclusivly on the Amiga for design and then goes to high End rendering
Systems for final.

The "Levitation animation was done by HollenBeck Design and was also played
back in real time from the Amiga.  So as you can see Everytime the
Amiga was supposed to be doing something, IT Was!  And you might ask how I know?
I was in charge of the Technical for the commercials and every time you see
anything on the Amiga in the AD, I was controlling it. Also just for the record
Everything that you see was designed to run on a Three megabyte Amiga 500.

$>
$
$If you're talking about the space station animation, it was done by Leo
$Schwab.  He showed it at the BKDC.  I don't think the "game" (game?  This
$is a SERIOUS computer!) exists, it was another animation.
$
$
$Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
$Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.
$Santa Clara, CA

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *