[comp.sys.amiga] 68030 Accelerators, Info Wanted

larryc@hpfinote.HP.COM (Larry Chesler) (10/10/89)

I'm in the market to add an '030 accelerator to my 2000. My primary reason
is to accelerate things like ray tracing. I don't have much backround on the
various '030 options available. Several questions come to mind;

	1. Are all '030 accelerators equal ? Are they all compatible with
	   existing AMIGA software ?

	2. The GVP A3001 comes with it's own SCSI controller, if you add
	   this accelerator card to your system, must it also have it's
	   own dedicated harddrive ? I currently have a GVP Qauntum 80 Meg
	   hardcard in my system.

	3. Does AMIGA software like Sculpt 4D automatically notice that
	   you have FPU hardware in the system and use it appropriately ?
	   Alas, perhaps the ability to use FPU hardware in the system
	   has been compiled into the code.

	4. Any info on the Ronin '030 accelerators or others.

	5. How about the Commmodore '030 board, what will it contain and
	   at what cost ?

I'll appreciate any and all answers or editorial comments.

Larry Chesler
Hewlett Packard
Colorado Integrated Circuits Division
larryc@hpltbf

easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) (10/11/89)

In article <18650001@hpfinote.HP.COM>, larryc@hpfinote.HP.COM (Larry Chesler) writes:

> I'm in the market to add an '030 accelerator to my 2000. My primary reason
> is to accelerate things like ray tracing. I don't have much backround on the
> various '030 options available. Several questions come to mind;
[....]

> 	2. The GVP A3001 comes with it's own SCSI controller, if you add
> 	   this accelerator card to your system, must it also have it's
> 	   own dedicated harddrive ? I currently have a GVP Qauntum 80 Meg
> 	   hardcard in my system.

  Wrong! The GVP comes with a IDE interface for a Hard disk that has
the controller on board.  Quantum and Conner's sell these types of
drives.  The only signals on the interface connector is the data bus,
R/W lines and a chip select.  Its not even close to SCSI.
  The card has boot ROM sockets so that you can autoboot this drive.
As far as I know, this drive acts like any other Amiga hard disk.
Nothing special.  It may DMA directly into 32 bit RAM since the
interface is on the accelerator card but I'm not sure.  The specs are
at home. :-(  I talked to the GVP people at AmiExpo/Chicago and they
sent me later a 8 page technical discussion of the card.  I suggest you
call them and ask for it.

> Larry Chesler

Jeff Easton		UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton
Zenith Data Systems	OEM Engineering

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/12/89)

In article <18650001@hpfinote.HP.COM> larryc@hpfinote.HP.COM (Larry Chesler) writes:
-
-I'm in the market to add an '030 accelerator to my 2000. My primary reason
-is to accelerate things like ray tracing. I don't have much backround on the
-various '030 options available. Several questions come to mind;
-
-	1. Are all '030 accelerators equal ? Are they all compatible with
-	   existing AMIGA software ?
-
You could say that a lot of existing games software (and some non-games)
is not compatible with anything but vanilla 68000 Amiga. Proper written
software would work on them all, but there would be a lo more of
compatibility to think of with other hardware (like memory and disk
controllers). I think it is important to have the opportunity to easy
select normal 68000 operation (I have the A2620 and you just press the
two buttons during boot), since so many programs won't work otherwise.

-	3. Does AMIGA software like Sculpt 4D automatically notice that
-	   you have FPU hardware in the system and use it appropriately ?
-	   Alas, perhaps the ability to use FPU hardware in the system
-	   has been compiled into the code.
-
Sculpt 4D has a special 68020 version, which can only be un on
systems with 68020 and up. This would use a FPU, as some other of the
more professional product. Most programs, though, wouldn't care a lot.

-	5. How about the Commmodore '030 board, what will it contain and
-	   at what cost ?
-
(The rumours that sounded most beleivable) is 68030, 68882 FPU and
2 MB 32-bit memory (MMU built-in).

tope@enea.se
Tommy P.

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/13/89)

In article <517@aucis.UUCP> easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) writes:
>  Wrong! The GVP comes with a IDE interface for a Hard disk that has
>the controller on board.  Quantum and Conner's sell these types of
>drives.  The only signals on the interface connector is the data bus,
>R/W lines and a chip select.  Its not even close to SCSI.

My friend has this setup, with the Quantum 40 meg drive.  Since the
system is running a 25MHz 68030, and the controller is 32 bit (right?)
and the hard drive is a Quantum, I was expecting to see incredible speed
from the hard drive.  Instead, the diskperf numbers are more like 450K
per second.  This is respectible, (lots faster than my C.Ltd.!) but
hardly up to the 800K/sec that I've seen reported with, say, the
HardFrame.  Is there something that could speed this up, or barring
that, an explanation for the relatively unimpressive speed?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/13/89)

in article <19968@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) says:

> In article <517@aucis.UUCP> easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) writes:
>>  Wrong! The GVP comes with a IDE interface for a Hard disk that has
>>the controller on board.

> My friend has this setup, with the Quantum 40 meg drive.  Since the
> system is running a 25MHz 68030, and the controller is 32 bit (right?)

The controller is 16 bit, non-DMA.  It's bascially a PC-AT expansion bus.

> Instead, the diskperf numbers are more like 450K per second.

The other thing is, at least last time I checked, GVP device drivers were
written in C.  If you use SetCPU, and can get a CARDROM entry for the GVP
ROMs (assuming they run directly from ROM and don't load that ROM code
into RAM), you can boot performance a bit if you have 32 bit memory.

> This is respectible, (lots faster than my C.Ltd.!) but hardly up to the
> 800K/sec that I've seen reported with, say, the HardFrame.  Is there
> something that could speed this up, or barring that, an explanation for the
> relatively unimpressive speed?

The Hardframe, like the Commodore controllers, is DMA driven, and so you
can get over 1 megabyte/second, though the filesystem (FFS), with the
right hard drive (CDCs, not Quantums).  While the PC-AT bus is in theory
capable of 4 MB/s transfers, it's not clear that [A] the Quantum goes
anywhere near that speed, or [B] what the GVP interface can actually achieve;
it could be their interface to the AT drive is less than optimal.  And it
could always be software, too....

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/14/89)

In article <8182@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>in article <19968@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) says:
[talking about GVP 68030 board with hard drive controller]
>> My friend has this setup, with the Quantum 40 meg drive.  Since the
>> system is running a 25MHz 68030, and the controller is 32 bit (right?)

>The controller is 16 bit, non-DMA.  It's bascially a PC-AT expansion bus.

Then why did they bother?  I figured if they go to the trouble of adding
a hard drive controller to the accelerator card, there would at least
be some reason for it, some distinguishing characteristic.  The way
they've done it, you're paying for a sub-par controller that you most
likely won't want if you're building a fast system.  Unvelievable.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) (10/15/89)

I'm currently using a Ronin 030 on my A1000, at 14Mcycles. The hardware is
excellent. The Ronin 030 for the A2000 supports 28Mcycles. I also have an
881 overclocked to 20Mcycles. Unlike some 030 boards, the Ronin boards
support the data cache (video ram must not be cached, so most boards inhibit
the Dcache, which kind of limits the value of the board). The Amiga ROM can
also be mapped into 32 bit ram, which makes for a VERY fast, tight machine!
The ROM math libraries automatically detect an 881/882, but optimized code
(like SculptAnimate 4d) helps.

****Let's all fight against bandwidth wasting signatures!!! Paul T.*****
ZZ

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/25/89)

in article <19997@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) says:

> In article <8182@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>The [GVP '030] controller is 16 bit, non-DMA.  It's bascially a PC-AT
>>expansion bus.

> Then why did they bother?

They had room left over on the '030 board, and an AT bus hard drive interface
only costs a couple of dollars.  This might give them an edge in selling the
board, since for folks who don't yet have a hard drive controller, this lets
them buy the controller and '030 accelerator in one.

> I figured if they go to the trouble of adding a hard drive controller to
> the accelerator card, there would at least be some reason for it, some
> distinguishing characteristic.

They're distinguishing the '030 board, not the controller.  Commodore chose to
distinguish their board by providing built-in 32 bit memory, but that's not
the way to make a bargain-basement '030 board.

> The way they've done it, you're paying for a sub-par controller that you
> most likely won't want if you're building a fast system.  Unvelievable.

IF you can find an imbedded AT drive with decent performance, it's likely that
this drive could be as fast as the SCSI controller GVP makes for the Amiga
bus, though not likely as fast as a good DMA controller.  It's certainly faster
than the simple 8-bit SCSI controllers you can get cheap these days, so I'd
guess this would be somewhere in the "medium-performance" category.  Though
it's a hard call; the AT bus characteristic is only 1/2 the question -- their
interface between that '030 and the AT bus could be a big factor.

--

in article <14108@well.UUCP>, theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) says:

> I'm currently using a Ronin 030 on my A1000, at 14Mcycles. The hardware is
> excellent. The Ronin 030 for the A2000 supports 28Mcycles. I also have an
> 881 overclocked to 20Mcycles. Unlike some 030 boards, the Ronin boards
> support the data cache (video ram must not be cached, so most boards inhibit
> the Dcache, which kind of limits the value of the board).

If this new Ronin board is like the Ronin "020 board converted to 030 board",
it's not quite up to par with the other '030 boards (GVP and Commodore) in the
way it handles the data cache.  Ronin's previous board controlled the data
cache in software only, via an MMU table.  This allowed data caching of the
Ronin 32 bit memory only.  All other memory in the system was uncached.  This
has two problems.  First of all, requiring an MMU table of any kind is going
to waste some memory.  Secondly, without any hardware control of data caching,
you have to have multiple tables for different data spaces, so that caching can
be on for instruction space, off for data space.  That at least doubles the
size of the MMU table required.

Both the Commodore and GVP boards control caching in Hardware.  Since I
designed the '030 board for Commodore, I can tell exactly what it does -- the
GVP board is apparently doing a similar thing.  The A2630 hardware inhibits
the data cache for chip memory, I/O registers, and the I/O section of
expansion memory.  It also generates port wide reads for cachable areas of
Amiga memory, so that the data cache can operate on $00C00000, ROM, and
normal expansion memory.  This solves most of the data caching problems
based on Amiga system problems.  DMA devices need to have a cache dump
instruction incorporated in their device driver to properly maintain cache
consistency in conjunction with the data cache.  And MMU tables can still be
used for finer control of the MMU table to support ROM mapping (of the
system ROM or and device driver ROMs) or unusual device that don't follow
the normal memory-I/O space assignments of the expansion bus (like the bridge
card).  The SetCPU program manages all of these extras, and should work with
any '030 card.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) (10/29/89)

Dave Haynie of C-A writes [regarding the Ronin 030 board] -
>First of all, an MMU table of any kind is going to waste some memory.
Well, i suppose so, though i can't imagine too many folks with 030 systems
having memory constraints so severe that they can't afford a coupla dozen
kilobytes for some page tables.
Secondly, can you explain why the Ronin board tends to do better on almost
all benchmarks against other, equivalently clocked 030 systems (such as the
Commodore 030)? Seems to me that that vindicates their use of software
memory control.
*****Stamp out bandwitdth wasting signatures! Paul Theodoropoulos*****

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/31/89)

in article <14325@well.UUCP>, theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) says:

> Dave Haynie of C-A writes [regarding the Ronin 030 board] -
>>First of all, an MMU table of any kind is going to waste some memory.
> Well, i suppose so, though i can't imagine too many folks with 030 systems
> having memory constraints so severe that they can't afford a coupla dozen
> kilobytes for some page tables.

No problem there.  Only, the software only method Ronin uses doesn't allow
caching of 16 bit RAM.  If you're only using 32 bit RAM, that may not be a
problem, but it's certainly a disadvantage.  Plus, the software-only method
will either result in lower performance or more memory wasted on tables than
a hardware/software combination.  Because you need separate tables for I
and D cache inhibit if you're software-only, or you end up inhibiting the
I-cache were it's totally unnecessary to do so (in CHIP RAM, expansion RAM,
etc).  This is a complaint, not the end of the world.

> Secondly, can you explain why the Ronin board tends to do better on almost
> all benchmarks against other, equivalently clocked 030 systems (such as the
> Commodore 030)?

Probably because it doesn't.  First of all, the Ronin '030 hasn't been compared
to the Commodore '030, at least anywhere I've seen.  None of the magazines have
a Commodore '030 board, and I sure don't have a Ronin '030 board.  The Ronin
board does use a 28MHz clock, rather than the 25MHz clock used by Commodore
and GVP.  I think both Commodore and GVP designs work just fine at 28MHz (I
run my office board at 28MHz) without changing anything but the CPU (Motorola
CPUs come in 16.667MHz, 20.000MHz, 25.000MHz, 33.3333MHz, 40.000MHz, and
50.000MHz speeds -- running a 25MHz part at 28MHz, while you might get away
with it most of the time, is "asking for it").

> Seems to me that that vindicates their use of software memory control.

No.  All software memory control does for you is simplify hardware design by a
very small amount, and of course _require_ the use of the software.  The use
of an MMU will in fact slow the system slightly, since every time that CPU hits
a page that's not in the ATC (22 fully associative entries in the '030), the
MMU has to go out and find the new page.  So to the purist at least, the software
only method is guaranteed to be slower than the hardware only menthods.  In
reality, you probably won't notice the difference, especially if you use short
trees in your MMU software -- SetCPU tables never get more than two levels
deep, and the second level is only for supporting expansion ROM translations
(since expansion ROMs are small).  And of course, software is software -- any
benefit available on a Ronin board under software control is available on
a Commodore or GVP board.

Like I said, I don't think there's been a real comparison of real '030 boards.
I know some of the magazines are waiting for Ronin and Commodore boards to do
just such a comparison.  But whatever the results, be assured that you can
look elsewhere to explain any performance differences (the 32 bit memory system
is always the first place to look).

> *****Stamp out bandwitdth wasting signatures! Paul Theodoropoulos*****
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) (11/02/89)

Dave, true - no 030 comparisons published yet....i mistakenly pointed to data
from 020  board performance comparisons previously published, which did in fact
show the Ronin board to be somewhat superior in performance. mea culpa.
   I do not see that address translation will incur any performance penalty
worth mentioning. The 030 supports 2 clk cycle accesses to physical address
space, while addresses are translated in parallel with D and I cache accesses,
if they are in the ATC. Only in the most demanding CPU core intensive situations will the MMU incur a performance overhead, and even then, i believe it would be minimal (time for me to RTFM!)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/03/89)

in article <14405@well.UUCP>, theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) says:

> Dave, true - no 030 comparisons published yet....i mistakenly pointed to data
> from 020  board performance comparisons previously published, which did in fact
> show the Ronin board to be somewhat superior in performance. mea culpa.

Yup.  The Ronin memory for their '020 board runs 1 wait-state faster than the
A2620 memory, due to the A2620's MMU.  Clock speeds were the same.

>    I do not see that address translation will incur any performance penalty
> worth mentioning.

Yeah, like I said, the only performance hit at all is an ATC miss.  Nothing you're
likely to be able to measure, but if you're counting every cycle, it is a performance
hit.  Microcoded tree walks certainly are a good idea.

> The 030 supports 2 clk cycle accesses to physical address space, while addresses
> are translated in parallel with D and I cache accesses, if they are in the ATC.

I though that was impressive, but of course, with the logical caches, you either
need a translation or a cache hit, never both.  The '040 has physical caches and
still manages to run without a slowdown.  Of course, in both cases, you can
identify the cache line without any translations, since the cache size is always
smaller than the MMU's page size.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

brant@alberta.uucp (Brant Coghlan) (11/04/89)

Have you heard about the latest oh thirty expanson for the A1000 and A500?
The soon to be released Infinity Machine by M.A.S.T. is an inexpensive
accelerator and more.  MAST claims the board will support SCSI, 8Megs
of 16 or 32 bit RAM, a 68K running at 7 or 16Mhz, a '030 at up to 50Mhz,
and a 68881/2.  This board is not a real speed deamon but a feature freek.

	Since this board is a RSN product, are their any Beta testers
on the net?  Does this board really work?  How does it compare to the
other '030 boards?

	I have asked MAST for info on their board and I'll post the
details if anyone is interested.

-Brant
I am not affiliated with MAST except as a potenital buyer of their products
--
 Brant Coghlan	(career student)  (403) 487-3619     ...!alberta!brant
 Dept. of Comp. Science, 615 GSB, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada