[comp.sys.amiga] Interlace on Multisync Monitors

JAGBDCD%PANAM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (10/16/89)

   I have a question about multisync monitors. Right now I can afford to buy
a multisync montior, but I'll have to wait a few months to buy a FlickerFixer.
Are there any good multisyncs that can display the standard Amiga RGB analog
signal in interlace mode? I heard that quite a few montiors can't display
an interlaced picture. I'd like to buy one that can now, then get a Flicker-
Fixed later on. I'd really appreciate any help or suggesitons. Thanks.

Aaron Gonzalez
JAGBDCD@PANAM.BITNET
Mission,TX

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/31/89)

bobl> I don't understand why anybody would even consider buying a FlickerFixer board
bobl> for the outragously high price of about $500 just to stop interlace flicker.
bobl> It continually amazes me that people want to do this.  Interlace flicker is
bobl> normal and the interlace feature is actually intentional.  It is a requirement
bobl> of NTSC video and shouldn't be non-interlace in the first place.

Perhaps these people spend money on flickerFixers and the like because
using interlace modes on an RGB monitor causes eyestrain and headaches.

bobl> In the second place, you can wait a few months when Commodore releases it's
bobl> complete ECS (or at least the Denise) and get the "Productivity Mode" display
bobl> of 640x400 non-interlace and pay alot less than the $500.00 the FlickerFixer
bobl> costs.

Nobody (maybe not even the people at Commodore) know how long "a few
months" is going to be.  1.3 was delayed for several months in quality
assurance testing, and it was a relatively minor update compared to
1.4.  I've heard several times that the ECS will appear simultaneously
with 1.4, since it needs new system software support.  For some people
spending $500 on something which works now is an acceptable solution.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (10/31/89)

Network Comment: to #4434 by JAGBDCD%PANAM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu

> I have a question about multisync monitors. Right now I can afford to buy
> a multisync montior, but I'll have to wait a few months to buy a FlickerFixer.
> Are there any good multisyncs that can display the standard Amiga RGB analog
> signal in interlace mode? I heard that quite a few montiors can't display
> an interlaced picture. I'd like to buy one that can now, then get a Flicker-
> Fixed later on. I'd really appreciate any help or suggesitons. Thanks.

I don't understand why anybody would even consider buying a FlickerFixer board
for the outragously high price of about $500 just to stop interlace flicker.
It continually amazes me that people want to do this.  Interlace flicker is
normal and the interlace feature is actually intentional.  It is a requirement
of NTSC video and shouldn't be non-interlace in the first place.

In the second place, you can wait a few months when Commodore releases it's
complete ECS (or at least the Denise) and get the "Productivity Mode" display
of 640x400 non-interlace and pay alot less than the $500.00 the FlickerFixer
costs.

I have a prototype ECS and combined with a MultiSync monitor, the display is
rock solid and clear as can be.  Don't waste your money on a FlickerFixer.
Just wait until the Denise is final and released and you will thank the day
you didn't blow that $500.00!

-- Bob

> Aaron Gonzalez
> JAGBDCD@PANAM.BITNET
> Mission,TX
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: {..crash!}pro-graphics!bobl           |    ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com             |     CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: {..crash!}pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil  |  AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

cogswell@egrunix.UUCP (Dan Cogswell) (11/01/89)

In article <627@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System
Administrator) writes:
>I don't understand why anybody would even consider buying a FlickerFixer board
>for the outragously high price of about $500 just to stop interlace flicker.
>It continually amazes me that people want to do this.  Interlace flicker is
>normal and the interlace feature is actually intentional.  It is a requirement
>of NTSC video and shouldn't be non-interlace in the first place.

Oh, come on!  So flicker is what *GOD* intended??!!??  I don't understand
why people spend all that money on color televisions!  After all, it's
*NORMAL* for black and white t.v.'s to *BE* black and white!  It's a
requirement for them and they shouldn't be color in the first place.

Get serious.