[comp.sys.amiga] Quarterback: was Re: HD Backup problems

hugh@kink.UUCP (Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) (10/31/89)

In article Message-ID: <2926@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) states:

[Glowing recommendations for Quarterback deleted]

>much better). Quarterback is said to be up to version 2.2.

Well, I have 2.3, dated June 2, & have for quite a while.
Those guys are great about updates

>It looks like if I can't get my tape drive working I'll
>have to get Quarterback and start working with
>those floppy-things again :-).  -- Darren

And if you do get your tape drive working?

Quarterback should work with any DOS device, why not use it
with the tape drive?  If the s/w support for the tape drive
is limited whatever you can do might still be useful though.
I'd especially want a working tar & maybe cpio, mostly to
facilitate file transfer to and from unix boxes.

--
# Hugh D. Gamble (416) 267-6159  No Disclaimers.
# hugh@kink or {censor, geac, becker, clunk, cbmtor}!kink!hugh

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (11/04/89)

In article <18539.AA18539@kink> hugh@kink.UUCP (Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) writes:
>In article Message-ID: <2926@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) states:
>
>[Glowing recommendations for Quarterback deleted]
>
>>much better). Quarterback is said to be up to version 2.2.
>
>Well, I have 2.3, dated June 2, & have for quite a while.
>Those guys are great about updates

Good about updates?  Say what????

I'm a registered owner of Quarterback 2.2, and I received
no update notice!  Most I got was literature about
Mac-2-Dos, which I am definitely not interested in

>>[stuph about tape drive deleted for brevity.
>
>And if you do get your tape drive working?
>
>Quarterback should work with any DOS device, why not use it

No, it does NOT.  I have a Syquest SQ555 removable media HD attached
to a Hardframe-2000.  When I try to use Quarterback to backup from
my normal HDs (a Quantum Pro40S and a Q280) to floppy, it works.
Try to backup one to the Syquest (device name CART:), Quarterback
refuses the drive name.

Told CCS about it, and the person I talked to said "Gee, I dunno."

John

(.sig under construction)

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (11/05/89)

In article <21782@gryphon.COM> jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:
>No, it does NOT.  I have a Syquest SQ555 removable media HD attached
>to a Hardframe-2000.  When I try to use Quarterback to backup from
>my normal HDs (a Quantum Pro40S and a Q280) to floppy, it works.
>Try to backup one to the Syquest (device name CART:), Quarterback
>refuses the drive name.

If the >only< reason it's failing is the drive name, there are a number of
things you can do.  They won't help if the problem is due to Quarterback
driving the floppies directly, but I suspect that is not the case.

Basically, you need a way to access your Syquest under a floppy's name.
Simplest would be "assign DF2: CART:", or something equivalent.  You should
have an available DFn: name unless you have 4 floppies.  Hopefully QB isn't
written to understand only DF0: and DF1:; and even if that's the case, with
a 2000 you likely have DF0: and DF2: with DF1: available.

If the "assign" doesn't work, you might try changing the drive's name in
the mountlist and actually >mounting< it as "DFn:".

If QB insists on DF0/1 and both are already filled, you can actually
disconnect DF1: for your backup session, but that's a big pain.  There's
also a PD program called "AssignDev" that lets you rename devices.  You'd
  AssignDev DF9: DF1:       ; add a new device DF9: that duplicates DF1:
  AssignDev DF1:            ; remove DF1:
  AssignDev DF1: CART:      ; now duplicate CART: device as DF1:
  (backup for a while)
  AssignDev DF1:            ; remove bogus DF1:
  AssignDev DF1: DF9:       ; move the real DF1: back where it belongs
  AssignDev DF9:            ; remove "backup" copy of DF1:

I don't know where I got AssignDev and I don't know where my copy is, but
if you try everything else unsuccessfully, I can dig it up and send you it.

Update: it's on Fish 79 and 111.

Please post a short note if this works.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]