[comp.sys.amiga] Pen Pal, and fonts

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (11/05/89)

In article <1995@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) says:

>You can use your printers fonts AND Amiga graphics together at the same time
>(to a limited, but useful degree).

Could you say more about how Pen Pal utilizes the printer's fonts.  Are
there a million drivers, like with Word Perfect, or can the user build a
custom driver?  I would like to use Pen Pal with a Itoh Prowriter (aka
NEC 8023).  This is for a computer illiterate friend of mine that I am
advising.  His wife needs a simple word processor for straightforward
college term papers.

Oh yeah.  Does Pen Pal work OK in 512K?

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (11/06/89)

In article <89308.113120UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>In article <1995@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) says:
>>
>>You can use your printers fonts AND Amiga graphics together at the same time
>>(to a limited, but useful degree).
>>

>Could you say more about how Pen Pal utilizes the printer's fonts.  Are
[stuff deleted for brevity]

PenPal can use both the Draft and NLQ fontsets in printers.  It does
this through the Preferences driver, so if you've set Preferences
correctly, you get ALL of PenPal's capabilities.  Problem with using
graphics/text printing is that kerning may be off....most printer
fonts are monospaced, and PenPal has to work around that.

>custom driver?  I would like to use Pen Pal with a Itoh Prowriter (aka
>NEC 8023).  This is for a computer illiterate friend of mine that I am
[more stuph deleted]

If the C.Itoh has a Preferences driver that supports graphics, PenPal'll
work with it.  PenPal graphic output is pretty nice, they use 12-bitplane
rasterizing for output.

>Oh yeah.  Does Pen Pal work OK in 512K?

NO.  PenPal needs 1MB minimum, more if you can get it.  The 12-bitplane
printing needs a good bit of memory.

John