[comp.sys.amiga] Xoper 2.0 in binaries - dead?

haj@auc.UUCP (Harvey Johnson) (10/30/89)

In article <671@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
>with the executable as posted.
>
>I get a blank window that will not accept input, can not be
>killed with the window gadget and will not iconify.
>
>Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...

When I first ran Xoper, the same thing happened to me, so I went back and
read the documentation and saw that I forgot to place "Xoper.startup"  in
"s: " as instructed.  Once I did this, everything worked fine.  However,
using the -b option hung up, so I just used Xoper.

The program is quite nice, running quietly in the background until needed.
It is similar to the 'monitor' command on the VAX.  Since I almost entirely
use the CLI (shell) interface, it comes in very handy for tracking tasks
and processes (also, memory, resources, devices, etc.).

Setup:  Amiga 500 expanded to 1M (A501).

harve!

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (10/31/89)

I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
with the executable as posted.

I get a blank window that will not accept input, can not be
killed with the window gadget and will not iconify.

Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...

A2000 2mg (40 meg quantum with GVP conroller 1 mg). 1084 and 2 floppies.
Running under Wshell.

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (10/31/89)

In article <671@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
>with the executable as posted.
>
>I get a blank window that will not accept input, can not be
>killed with the window gadget and will not iconify.
>
>Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...
>
>A2000 2mg (40 meg quantum with GVP conroller 1 mg). 1084 and 2 floppies.
>Running under Wshell.

I don't think it is Wshell because xoper ran on my 1 meg 500 at home last
night.  And I use Wshell on both my machines.  However, like you I get the
blank window when I ran Xoper on my 2000 here at work.  System= 3meg +
Bridgeboard + 20Meg Harddrive off of Bridgeboard running Janus 1.0 (XT release
software) system timing off of Supergen Genlock with no external reference.
System software equal parts 1.3.2 and Arp.

Xoper ran well on my home machine though.  System there = A500 with A501 and
2 external Drives.

 Marc Siskin = Msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu
               userHEBE@umichub

dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu (10/31/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <671@uwm.edu>, duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes...
>I get a blank window that will not accept input, can not be
>killed with the window gadget and will not iconify.
>
>Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...

Xoper works for me, except that it hangs if I use the stack command.
it displays any CLI's I have running as having 4K stacks and having
used 4Megs of stack (I only have 2 megs) I havn't yet tried to run
it from anything other than a CLI so I don't know if the bug is
related to CLIs.

Douglas Peale.

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (10/31/89)

In article <671@uwm.edu>, duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
> I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
> with the executable as posted.
>
> Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...
>
> A2000 2mg (40 meg quantum with GVP conroller 1 mg). 1084 and 2 floppies.
> Running under Wshell.

I just downloaded Xoper 2.0 from comp.binaries.amiga and it
works fine for me (in a mesmerizing sort of manner--what are
those ports doing-click, click-Ah, hmmmm).

The setup: A1000, dual floppies, 1-meg starboard.

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax[.bitnet]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (10/31/89)

From article <1989Oct30.213338.10140@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, by msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin):

> Xoper ran well on my home machine though.  System there = A500 with A501 and
> 2 external Drives.

	But it wont work on my machine.

	It's A500 + 1 Meg RAM + Vortex Harddisk.

	1.2 kickstart + 1.3 WB + Arp 1.3

--
pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (10/31/89)

As long as bunches of people are talking about their Xoper woes ...

It seems to work fine for me except that when I put Xoper -b in
my Startup-Sequence the system froze when I tried to reboot and
it was a real hassle, as always when Startup-Sequences go bad,
trying to pull it out of there and get up again.  I also had it
hang on me a couple of other times when I tried to run it in
background.

Concerning the startup file supplied with this version -- I haven't
looked real closely at the documentation, but I did scan it and
didn't see any reference to it -- does anyone know, does this go
in the S: directory or in the current directory from where the
program is called, or as an argument, or what?

My config: standard 2500, 5MB RAM, + Seagate ST277N, running
WShell and ARexx and DMouse and a host of PD goodies.

Lynn D. Newton            | System Test
Motorola MCD, Tempe, AZ   | (Department of Heuristic Neology)
(602) 437-3739            | "The bug stops here!"
lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com |

2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/01/89)

Xoper 2.0 works ok for me except that the xoper screen becomes blank after
it is pushed back and subsequently brought forward using Dmouse 1.10.  The
screen is refreshed when I click on the (now invisible) sizing gadget in
the bottom right corner.  Perhaps the problem is in the screen refreshing?

My configuration:
    Amiga 1000; 2M expansion memory; WB1.3.2 + Arp1.3 + Wshell + ARexx
    Also: Gomf3.0; DMouse1.10; FaccII
--
Terry Gaetz         --  gaetz@uwovax.bitnet  --  gaetz@uwovax.uwo.ca
Astronomy Dept.     --

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) (11/01/89)

> I just downloaded Xoper 2.0 from comp.binaries.amiga and it
> works fine for me (in a mesmerizing sort of manner--what are
> those ports doing-click, click-Ah, hmmmm).
>
> The setup: A1000, dual floppies, 1-meg starboard.
>
> Ken

Well, add one more to the list for which Xoper fails.

system:

        A500+A501
        EXP1000 ram expansion (+1 Meg)
        Palomax Hard Drive
        modem, printer, monitor

    running:
        ARP
        Conman
        Qmouse
        Snap
        ARexx
        Xoper
        lv

Eric Schwertfeger, UNLV, maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (11/01/89)

Xoper works here:
System: A1000, with Starboard 2.5 Meg and Stardrive
Running: 1.3 with ARP, Memwatch, Popcli, FaccII, Wiconify, Helios.

I am getting sporadic gurus seemingly unrelated to a particular
program. Could anyone tell me how to interpret Guru #
0000000B.00251428?
 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea
 INTERNET: jea@snipe.cvs.rochester.edu

G35%DHDURZ1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Werner Guenther) (11/01/89)

>In article <671@uwm.edu>, duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
> I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
> with the executable as posted.
>
> Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...
>
> A2000 2mg (40 meg quantum with GVP conroller 1 mg). 1084 and 2 floppies.
> Running under Wshell.

It seems I did something stupid again.
Well, while trying to fix it as fast as possible, could someone, having the
same problem(s), send me some information about his setup? The problem
doesn't seem to be related to a specified Amiga model, so I somehow think
it may have to do with the installed Kickstart (1.2/1.3).

Thanks in advance,
Werner  Guenther (G35@DHDURZ1.BITNET)

BTW. My system is a PAL AMIGA 500 / A590 HD / 2M expansion/ 1.3 Kickstart.

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (11/01/89)

my setup is running KS 1.3? But there was a curious thing...
Xoper would not hang the machine when I did not have an
S:Xoper.startup file and it would appear to work properly
(except for the Kill command) -- its just that I would
be doing something else -- like transfering files using
vt100 (2.8) and then everything would hang -- cursor would
be still and no popcli's -- in other cases I would get a guru
and have flashed a memwatch screen before reboot.

After I installed a s:Xoper.startup I have not had either crash
yet, but I did not have time to use the system much after startup
installation.

davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) (11/06/89)

From article <671@uwm.edu>, by duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan):
> I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
> with the executable as posted.

> I get a blank window that will not accept input, can not be
> killed with the window gadget and will not iconify.

> Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...

There definately seems to be some kind of bug here.  When I run it as such, I
get the same thing (blank window that you can't do anything with), plus the
GOMF requestor (I'm running v3.0, with the switch set to watchdog low memory
vector tables) pops up screaming that something trashed low memory.  It's able
to fix the vector tables, but it can't seem to find the window of the program
(automatically) and remove it as part of the cleanup process.  This only seems
to happen if you're trying to use a window on the WorkBench screen.  If you
create a s:Xoper-startup file, and in it include a line saying "usescreen"
(don't put in the quotes), it will create it's own custom screen and use it
instead.  This screen works fine.

> A2000 2mg (40 meg quantum with GVP conroller 1 mg). 1084 and 2 floppies.
> Running under Wshell.

I'm using an A500 with an A501 memory expansion, and one external drive.
                     --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
                       INET: davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US  (killer)

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (11/06/89)

haj@auc.UUCP (Harvey Johnson) writes:
>In article <671@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>>I recently download the 2.0 version of Xoper and have not had any luck
>>with the executable as posted.
>>
>>I get a blank window that will not accept input, can not be
>>killed with the window gadget and will not iconify.
>>
>>Is this a problem with xoper 2.0 as it was posted to c.b.a? Or...
>
>When I first ran Xoper, the same thing happened to me, so I went back and
>read the documentation and saw that I forgot to place "Xoper.startup"  in
>"s: " as instructed.  Once I did this, everything worked fine.  However,
>using the -b option hung up, so I just used Xoper.
>
>The program is quite nice, running quietly in the background until needed.
>It is similar to the 'monitor' command on the VAX.  Since I almost entirely
>use the CLI (shell) interface, it comes in very handy for tracking tasks
>and processes (also, memory, resources, devices, etc.).
>
>Setup:  Amiga 500 expanded to 1M (A501).
>
>harve!

I don't know about anybody else, but Xoper 2.0 works fine! Yes, the -b option
for the startup-sequence DOES work! It has never failed or GURUed on me. My
configuration: A2000 (4.3 motherboard), 512K chip, GVP 80-meg hard card, 3 meg
RAM (no RAD or VD0). SOftware: GOMF 3.0, ARP 1.3 (WB 1.3.2), KS 1.3, NoClick
3.6, NewLook, Blitzdisk2, Dmouse 1.20.

Oh yes, I run an interlace workbench (use FlickerFixer with NEC Multisync II
monitor)...maybe that's what Xoper needs??

My Xoper.startup:

time 2
iconfiyoff
alias ih inputhandler

Larry Greenwald

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
"I'm looking over a three-leaf clover that I overlooked be-three!"  -Bugs Bunny