[comp.sys.amiga] Plplot programs

whicker@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Gary Whicker) (10/26/89)

Hello net!

  I recently read a messagee asking about the availability of a plotting
program for the Amiga. The poster mentioned a programmer/friend who said
it would take 3 months to port a good plotting prog from his sun. I would
think that if he used the PD PLplot library, it shouldn't take that long. In
fact it would just involve making the front end.

 Has anyone seen any programs that use PlPlot?

phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) (11/06/89)

In article <2986@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> whicker@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Gary Whicker) writes:
>Hello net!
>
>  I recently read a messagee asking about the availability of a plotting
>program for the Amiga. The poster mentioned a programmer/friend who said
>it would take 3 months to port a good plotting prog from his sun. I would
>think that if he used the PD PLplot library, it shouldn't take that long. In
>fact it would just involve making the front end.
>
> Has anyone seen any programs that use PlPlot?

In answer to your question, I have not seen other programs using PlPlot,
but I have ported PlPlot to a BSD4.2 unix(TM) system on our Encore Multimax
machine here at UT.  I used the BSD plot(5/3X) package.  I have it create
plot(5/3X) files which I then post to the terminal of my choice with the
plot(1) utility.  We even have a printer deamon which understands the
plot(5/3X) file language.  It was real easy.  The only thing I did a little
weirdly was to change all the float's to double's in Jim's PlPlot libraries.
I've got a lot of my thesis project hooked up to PlPlot.  They run the same
on my Amiga and my Unix(tm) box.

PlPlot is well worth your effert to port to any system.  I have some X11R3
experience, and feel the port to the X window system would be a piece of cake.

Regards,
Randy
--
Randy M. Roberts