[comp.sys.amiga] Sculpt Objects

benji@pnet01.cts.com (Brad Pennock) (11/06/89)

Here's a question I have been wondering for a long time.  Why is it that I
rarely ever see anyone releasing the Sculpt 3/4D objects that they have
created?  I would love to do an animation (or atleast give one a try) with,
say a USS Enterprise spaceship...but NONE are to be found on any of the BBSs
that I call.  Is that they are so coveted or ???

                                  Curious minds want to know :)

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!benji
ARPA: crash!pnet01!benji@nosc.mil
INET: benji@pnet01.cts.com

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (11/07/89)

In article <651@crash.cts.com> benji@pnet01.cts.com (Brad Pennock) writes:
>Here's a question I have been wondering for a long time.  Why is it that I
>rarely ever see anyone releasing the Sculpt 3/4D objects that they have
>created?  I would love to do an animation (or atleast give one a try) with,
>say a USS Enterprise spaceship...but NONE are to be found on any of the BBSs
>that I call.  Is that they are so coveted or ???
>
>                                  Curious minds want to know :)

There actually ARE a lot of Sculpt (and Silver, and VideoScape)
objects "out there" which you can get.  With InterChange (by
Syndesis) you can get 'em for renderers you don't even own and
convert 'em to the formats used by renderers you DO own - so
that if you only own Sculpt you can still use nifty objects
created by Allen Hastings for VideoScape by just converting
them from one format to another.

On People/Link in our AmigaZone library we have (best guess)
dozens of 3D objects in differen formats our members can
download - the Enterprise (in a couple different formats),
cars, fantasy beings, space ships, hot air balloons, even
stuff like "scrubbing bubbles" and a Sculpt converstion of
AutoDesk's "St. Paul's Cathedral" AutoCAD object, etc. etc.

Lots of these files find their way onto BBSes, p/d disk
collections, etc.

Try a local user group.  Many groups have "3D SIGs" where
members share tips'n'tricks and disks of objects.

Quite a few 3D artists ARE loathe to give out their objects.
Lou Markoya, for example, probably the pre-eminent Turbo
Silver talent these days loves to distribute his pictures
but RARELY gives out his objects.  However a diskfull of
his "organic" objects (mushrooms, leaves, etc.) is available
for a nominal price in Turbo Silver format from Impulse, Inc.
Marvin Landis, who's done wonderful animations in Sculpt,
often uploads his objects and many others are buyable.
So it varies from artist to artist as to whether or how their
object files are gettable.  It's like a developer giving out
or wanting to hang onto his source code.  In some instances
it's a legal obligation to keep the code private.. in other
cases not, but just a personal decision.

It's also a matter of a talented artist having to decide whether
to give away his objects or to put some food on his table by
selling them to a magazine or software publisher who then get
exclusive distribution rights.

So I guess the simple answer to your question is that there
ARE a lot of objects out there that are freely gettable, but
it might take some work on your part to get 'em.

--
 Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.
 People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!hrlaser

leeg@mcrware.UUCP (Lee Glen) (11/07/89)

In article <651@crash.cts.com> benji@pnet01.cts.com (Brad Pennock) writes:
>Here's a question I have been wondering for a long time.  Why is it that I
>rarely ever see anyone releasing the Sculpt 3/4D objects that they have
>created?  I would love to do an animation (or atleast give one a try) with,
>say a USS Enterprise spaceship...but NONE are to be found on any of the BBSs
>that I call.  Is that they are so coveted or ???
>
>                                  Curious minds want to know :)

I would love to have this, too.  If you get it, could you send?
By the way:  last week's show (Star Trek/TNG) showed the ship's computer
simulating the ship moving through an asteroid field.  I believe this was
done by a computer although I'm not sure if it was an Amiga.  If the ship
exists in 3d, I'm sure they would have it.  But, getting it is another thing.

Lee Glenn