[comp.sys.amiga] Mac II's for sale??? Why??

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/31/89)

m> Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold...
m> I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

m> Please, no flames, this is just an observation.

It tells me that Apple has obsoleted the original Mac II in much the
same way that Commodore obsoleted the 1000, and that those Mac II
owners are seeking to upgrade to the IIx, IIcx, or IIci.  It's similar
to the batch of A1000 owners who moved to 2xxx series machines -- they
weren't upset with Amigas, but wanted to move to newer hardware.

				--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

mikey@NRC.COM (Mikey Goodglick) (11/01/89)

Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold...
I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

Please, no flames, this is just an observation.

      "I like pizza, I like it green, I like it dripping down my screen!!"
                                           ____________________________________
     LIGHTS!, CAMERA!, ACTION!             |        Mike Goodglick            |
                                           |    Network Research Corporation  |
         **** Mikey ****,                  |    2380 North Rose Avenue        |
    In 3D, Part II, The Final Chapter      |    Oxnard, California 93030      |
  A New Beginning...But this time,         |        (805)485-2700  x355       |
       Someone is waiting.                 |  mikey@nrc.com  mikey@nrcvax.UUCP|
     (Amiga, a REAL Chameleon)             ------------------------------------

wolfe@cygnus.nm.paradyne.com (Mike Wolfe) (11/04/89)

< On 31 Oct 89 16:27:51 GMT, mikey@NRC.COM (Mikey Goodglick) said:
<
< Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold...
< I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

Yeah... Apple sold more MAC II's than C= sold 1000's!

----
Mike Wolfe                          UUCP     {uunet,att}!pdn!wolfe
PHONE 813-530-2196                  DOMAIN   wolfe@pdn.paradyne.com

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/04/89)

In article <393@nrcvax.NRC.COM> mikey@nrc.com (Mikey Goodglick) writes:
|Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold...
|I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

	Unfortunately the conclusion which you are
	obviously zooming towards is overshadowed by
	the fact that there have been a lot more Mac II
	sales than Amiga sales so far...

	Perhaps this new C= marketing push will have
	an influence on this ratio in the long term -
	'twould be nice...

Cheers,
--
  .::.	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (11/04/89)

< Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold.
..
< I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

It tells me first of all that Apple sold more Macs last year than IBM sold
PS/2s.  It tells me second that there are fewer Amigas being sold than you
can shake a stick at.  It tells me third that the Mac II is considered
obsolete technology in Appleland, whereas the 2000 is closer to state of the
art in Amigaland.

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (11/05/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 31-Oct-89 Mac II's for sale???
> Why?? Mikey Goodglick@NRC.COM (1007)

> Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being
> sold...
> I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell
> you???

> Please, no flames, this is just an observation.

It makes good financial sense if you're low on money.  Sell an Amiga,
buy a VCR.  Sell a Mac II, buy a new car...

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (11/05/89)

In article <23681@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>< Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold.
>..
>< I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

Gee, it wouldn't have anything to do with the Mac II c{x,i} being sold, now
would it?  Reminds me of when the A2000 came out.  Lots of A1000 went on
the selling block...
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu

>I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

People advertise Macs on misc.forsale, and Amigas on comp.sys.amiga?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (11/07/89)

In article <393@nrcvax.NRC.COM>, mikey@NRC.COM (Mikey Goodglick) writes:

>Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold...
>I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???

I don't believe that Apple sells Mac II's any more because of the newer 68030
based SE/30, IIcx, IIci, and IIx.  The II just wouldn't fit any more because
it only has a 68020 in it and it would be horrendously overpriced for what it
does.  So, Apple is evidently fazing it out very rapidly...

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                       InterNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!liberty!batman!shrinkit

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (11/07/89)

In article <23681@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>< Has anyone noticed, that in misc.forsale.  MANY used Mac II's are being sold.
>..
>< I see only a handful of used Amigas being sold...What does this tell you???
>
>It tells me first of all that Apple sold more Macs last year than IBM sold
>PS/2s.

>        It tells me second that there are fewer Amigas being sold than you
>can shake a stick at.

Wrong.  There are certainly less Amigas sold than Macs and IBM PS/2s (in the
US), but don't imply that only a few Amigas are being sold.  That's just not
true.

>                       It tells me third that the Mac II is considered
>obsolete technology in Appleland, whereas the 2000 is closer to state of the
>art in Amigaland.

That's not true, either.  Is the Mac II considered obsolete technology or
is it overpriced for what it does compared to the newer Macs?

Also, state of the art in "Amigaland" is a 68030 system with 68882 running
at 25Mhz.  State of the art in "Amigaland" was on the 68020 processors for
awhile before that.

While it's true that you can't say that the Amiga is superior to the Mac
just because more Macs are being sold over the net, you also can't correctly
base judgements of the relative states-of-the-art, or amount of sales
of the two machines based solely on this same information.

If the person who posted the original article REALLY wants an answer, I'll
try my best.  From what I've heard, Apple has basically said that there is
not much reason to buy an original Mac II anymore, since you can get much better
performance out of slightly more expensive 68030 Macs.

Do we REALLY need to continue this discussion?

Rodney
--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson

Rodney Ricks,   Morehouse College