[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive On 1000 Interleave problems

mentor@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rodney K Rickenbach) (10/30/89)

I have a 1000 w/ a Supra SCSI interface going to a 72 meg Priam drive (MFM)
using an Adaptec controller.  Anyway, the Supra-format util. didn't have
my drive's specs, so I had to enter them by hand - including the interleave.
I kinda guestimated, and well, using diskperf I have found a throughput of
around 45K/sec.  Is there any easy way to find the optimum interleave (ie
a program) or do I have to keep re-formatting the drive and using Diskperf?
Any Idea of what kind of thruput I should be getting on something like this?
(the Priam has an 18ms access time and I am using FFS)

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx much
-Rod

| mentor@vax1.acs.udel.edu  | "Tighten 'till it strips, then back off          |
| Rod "Doc Olds" Rickenbach |  a quarter turn" - Mechanic's rule of thumb      |

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (11/02/89)

From article <4842@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU:, by mentor@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rodney K Rickenbach):
: I have a 1000 w/ a Supra SCSI interface going to a 72 meg Priam drive (MFM)
: using an Adaptec controller.  Anyway, the Supra-format util. didn't have
: my drive's specs, so I had to enter them by hand - including the interleave.
: I kinda guestimated, and well, using diskperf I have found a throughput of
: around 45K/sec.  Is there any easy way to find the optimum interleave (ie
: a program) or do I have to keep re-formatting the drive and using Diskperf?
: Any Idea of what kind of thruput I should be getting on something like this?
: (the Priam has an 18ms access time and I am using FFS)

	You can cut the time down by quite a bit by only formatting a small
part of the disk. Try doing only the first 30 or 40 cylinders. That should
give you a good approximation of the speed with a quick format. You should
be able to see speeds of about 150-200K/sec with your system. The Adaptec
4000a doesn't go too much faster than that. Also turn on the 'blind reads'
from the SupraEdit utility. Your drive is fast enough to keep ahead of the
Adaptec and you'll see a significant improvement in speed.

: ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
:
: Thanx much
: -Rod
:
:
: --
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (11/07/89)

In article <1667@agora.UUCP> billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:
>From article <4842@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU:, by mentor@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Rodney K Rickenbach):
>: I have a 1000 w/ a Supra SCSI interface going to a 72 meg Priam drive (MFM)
>: using an Adaptec controller.  Anyway, the Supra-format util. didn't have

>: I kinda guestimated, and well, using diskperf I have found a throughput of
>: around 45K/sec.  Is there any easy way to find the optimum interleave (ie

>give you a good approximation of the speed with a quick format. You should
>be able to see speeds of about 150-200K/sec with your system. The Adaptec
>4000a doesn't go too much faster than that. Also turn on the 'blind reads'
>from the SupraEdit utility. Your drive is fast enough to keep ahead of the
>Adaptec and you'll see a significant improvement in speed.

I have a Supra SCSI controller on my A500.  I used Adaptec 4000a->40M ST506
drive.  It was a Micropolis w/28ms ave access time.  With blind reads turned
on, interleave of 3, I never got better than 55K/sec transfers.  I now have
a SCSI disk and get 210K transfers.  I talked to Supra about the slow speed
and they said "The adaptec is slow, get a SCSI disk."  My controller is about
6 months old and I have the Series II V1.09 software.

Good Luck,
Steve
-----
stevem@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400