[comp.sys.amiga] PLotting Programs For Amiga

whicker@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Gary Whicker) (11/06/89)

  I have recieved several responses to my query about using  the PLPlot
library to make a general purpose 2D and 3D Plotting program. It looks
like there is only one front-end available at this time. Namely
Glenn Lewis' Arexx front end.

 Unfortunatly I haven't gotten around to getting Arexx yet. (Waiting for
1.4 I guess). So this isn't very usefull to me right now.

 What other programs are people using for plotting on the Amiga? If you
have experience using one could you pleas comments on it? I will post
results to the net.

            Gary

phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) (11/07/89)

In article <3092@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> whicker@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Gary Whicker) writes:

>  I have recieved several responses to my query about using  the PLPlot
>library to make a general purpose 2D and 3D Plotting program. It looks
>like there is only one front-end available at this time. Namely
>Glenn Lewis' Arexx front end.
>
>  [ stuff deleted ]

I use Lattice C for my frontend to PlPlot.  That was what it was originally
designed to be used with (I at least believe this to be true).  In fact I
do not as yet have the PlPlot system with the AREXX interface.  Could
someone tell me which archive it lives at?

BTW, one of the greatest things about PlPlot on the Amiga side (I also
use it on a BSD4.2 UNIX(TM) mainframe) is its interface with the PLT
device handler for printing your plots.

Regards,
Randy
--
Randy M. Roberts
phao172@emx.utexas.edu

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (11/08/89)

In article <3092@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> whicker@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Gary Whicker) writes:

>  I have recieved several responses to my query about using  the PLPlot
>library to make a general purpose 2D and 3D Plotting program. It looks
>like there is only one front-end available at this time. Namely
>Glenn Lewis' Arexx front end.

I have been reluctant to post about PlPlot, but I will admit to a second
front end for PlPlot.  It is not completely polished and presently does
2D plots.  You can change the line style, symbol style, axis labels and type
as well as plot multiple data sets on a plot.  The front end relies upon
the ARP libraries for a file requestor.  Data must be in an ASCII two column
format in order to be read by the front end.

This package is not polished, but worked well enough for the author to
finish his disertation.  Note, I am not the author.  Anyhow, I would be
willing to post this if I get some time to recompile it with the newer
version of the PlPlot library.

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/08/89)

In article <20581@ut-emx.UUCP>, phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) writes:
> In article <3092@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> whicker@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Gary Whicker) writes:
>>
>>  I have recieved several responses to my query about using  the PLPlot
>>library to make a general purpose 2D and 3D Plotting program. It looks
>>like there is only one front-end available at this time. Namely
>>Glenn Lewis' Arexx front end.
>>
>>  [ stuff deleted ]
>
> I use Lattice C for my frontend to PlPlot.  That was what it was originally
> designed to be used with (I at least believe this to be true).  In fact I
> do not as yet have the PlPlot system with the AREXX interface.  Could
> someone tell me which archive it lives at?

--
A while back someone mentioned that they were converting PlPlot to work
with Aztec C; a very brief summary of the things needing changing was

The documentation mentions that PlPlot is rewritten in C from Fortran
originals (for the PC?).  I use a 386-PC at the office, so I would appreciate
if somebody would direct me to the Fortran source as well.

E-mail is fine; I can summarize to the net if there is enough interest.

--
Terry Gaetz         --  gaetz@uwovax.bitnet  --  gaetz@uwovax.uwo.ca
Astronomy Dept.     --