[comp.sys.amiga] Xoper Bug Figured Out.

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) (11/01/89)

     Well, after much fighting, I think I finally figured out the problems
with Xoper 2.0 (yes, I meant plural).
     First of all, Xoper will hang if you don't have "xoper.startup" in s:,
but this could be related to another bug.
     Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.
     Finally, you can't use the -b command on the CLI line, nor can you
use the "hold" command in the xoper.startup file, because both cause
XOper to get hung up.

     In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.

Eric Schwertfeger, UNLV, maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (11/01/89)

From article <970@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, by maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER):

>      Well, after much fighting, I think I finally figured out the problems
> with Xoper 2.0 (yes, I meant plural).
>      First of all, Xoper will hang if you don't have "xoper.startup" in s:,
> but this could be related to another bug.
>      Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
> Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.
>      Finally, you can't use the -b command on the CLI line, nor can you
> use the "hold" command in the xoper.startup file, because both cause
> XOper to get hung up.
>
>      In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
> must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.
>
> Eric Schwertfeger, UNLV, maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

This is exactly what I finally figured out.  This means no
iconify feature.

Good work Eric!

I reread the docs and it does say xoper will not startup until after
the file xoper.startup has been read.  He also says the file goes in
S:

I haven't tried the usewindow instead of usescreen so I'm holding off
writing the author (on bitnet) until I RTFM.

-Shan D.

rszinn@spurge.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) (11/02/89)

In article <970@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu.uucp (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:

>     Well, after much fighting, I think I finally figured out the problems
>with Xoper 2.0 (yes, I meant plural).
>     First of all, Xoper will hang if you don't have "xoper.startup" in s:,
>but this could be related to another bug.

I just extracted the binary file from the zoo file and ran it and it didn't
hang at all.  Thus, it will work without xoper.startup in s:

>     Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
>Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.

I was also running it on the workbench screen from a WShell.

>     Finally, you can't use the -b command on the CLI line, nor can you
>use the "hold" command in the xoper.startup file, because both cause
>XOper to get hung up.

Haven't tried the switches, wil try them as soon as I'm done everything
important since Murphy sometimes likes to play games.  :-)

>     In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
>must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.

I think that you should re-examine your configuration since what you have
found as the bugs aren't bugs for me.

>Eric Schwertfeger, UNLV, maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

---
Scotte Zinn
rszinn@spurge.uwaterloo.edu

jmc@inesc.UUCP (Miguel Casteleiro) (11/02/89)

In article <970@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:

>      Well, after much fighting, I think I finally figured out the problems
> with Xoper 2.0 (yes, I meant plural).

       Sorry to disapoint you, but Xoper works fine for me.

>      First of all, Xoper will hang if you don't have "xoper.startup" in s:,
> but this could be related to another bug.

       I tried running Xoper with or without xoper.startup and it runs fine.

>      Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
> Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.

       I don't use "usescreen", Xoper opens a WB window and does not hang.

>      Finally, you can't use the -b command on the CLI line, nor can you
> use the "hold" command in the xoper.startup file, because both cause
> XOper to get hung up.

       I tried to run Xoper with the -b option, and it stays in the background
until I hit LA-RA-X. At that point it starts running normaly. The hold command
works fine too, and makes it go to the background again.

>      In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
> must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.

       I don't think that is the solution.
       To resume everything, Xoper has never hanged on me, does everything
the docs say it does and is a fine utility.

My system:  A2000 + 1.5MB + 20MB MiniScribe
            KS 1.3, WB 1.3, ARP 1.3, QMouse, MyMenu.

--
                                                                      __
 Miguel Casteleiro at                                            __  ///

marc@Clik.QC.CA (Marc Boucher) (11/03/89)

In article <696@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
!From article <970@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, by maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER):
!>
!>      Well, after much fighting, I think I finally figured out the problems
!> with Xoper 2.0 (yes, I meant plural).
!>      Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
!> Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.
!>      In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
!> must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.
!>
*** sorry, but my xoper crashes if I put "usescreen" in the startup file..
which looks like:

IconifyOff
TrapGuru
; UseScreen
Hide Xoper
Hide RAM
Hide CON
Hide NULL
Hide NEWCON
Hide DH0
Hide A590/A2091 IORequest handler
Hide A590/A2091 SCSI handler
Hide File System
Hide input.device
Hide trackdisk.device
Hide DMouse
Hide Snap

!Good work Eric!
	Really? :-)

--
Marc Boucher, sys/netadm @ Clik Telematique Inc - marc@clik.qc.ca | zoom!marc
5144668932_home 5149337161_clik 5149332164_fax  - uunet!philmtl!zap!zoom!marc

davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) (11/06/89)

From article <970@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, by maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER):
>      First of all, Xoper will hang if you don't have "xoper.startup" in s:,
> but this could be related to another bug.

It is.

>      Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
> Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.

You just found it. :-)

>      In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
> must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.

Near as I can figure, the only reason that you HAVE to have a s:Xoper-startup
file is because without it, you can't specifiy a line which says "usescreen".
Without that, the default is "usewindow", and THAT will hang the program (and
trash something in low memory, according to GOMF...).
            --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
                       INET: davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US  (killer)

davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) (11/06/89)

From article <696@uwm.edu>, by duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan):
> I reread the docs and it does say xoper will not startup until after
> the file xoper.startup has been read.  He also says the file goes in
> S:

Actually, it says that it will read in a s:Xoper-startup file, IF IT IS
AVAILABLE.  In other words, you shouldn't HAVE to have the file there for the
program to work.  However, the default condition is usewindow if you don't
have the file there with a line saying usescreen, and usewindow will hang you
out to dry....
             --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
                       INET: davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US  (killer)
"...New ship, but she's got the right name. ...Treat     --Admiral L. McCoy
 her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."   "Encounter at Farpoint"

) Seaman) (11/09/89)

First, let me say that Xoper 2.0 works well on my 2500 (3 megs RAM, SetCPU,
ARP, dmouse, MyMenu, SimGen, ...).

maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:
<      Well, after much fighting, I think I finally figured out the problems
< with Xoper 2.0 (yes, I meant plural).
<      First of all, Xoper will hang if you don't have "xoper.startup" in s:,
< but this could be related to another bug.

Hmmmm...  I was lucky enough to copy the file to s: before I tried it the
first time, so this one  never bit me.

<      Second, if you don't specify "usescreen" in the xoper.startup file,
< Xoper will attempt to open a window on the WB screen, and will hang.

Oops!  Putting 'usescreen' in my Xoper.startup GURU'd my Amy every time.
In fact, it only starts up when there is NO usescreen present.  As an
aside, if I specify usescreen AFTER popping up the window the first time,
everything is OK.

<      Finally, you can't use the -b command on the CLI line, nor can you
< use the "hold" command in the xoper.startup file, because both cause
< XOper to get hung up.

Don't know about 'hold', but I have 'xoper >NULL: -b' in my
startup-sequence, and it works just dandy.

<      In other words, you must have a file "xoper.startup" in s:, and you
< must also specify "usescreen" as an option in that file.

Probably for some, but not all Amy's.

< Eric Schwertfeger, UNLV, maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           | |              |     Where does he get