[comp.sys.amiga] Shadow of the Beast...Dissection 101

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (11/08/89)

     I just purchased Shadow of the Beast by Psygnosis. My question
posed to the board is; 'How do they do it?' (meaning how are 128
colors achieved on the screen...is it palette swapping?); the 900K
of digitized soundtrack (IFF track splicing?) or the huge animated,
well at least moving on the screen, characters? Was this done in C?
Assembler? How did they create such a huge parallax effect and no
slow down?

-Steve Suhy

piaw@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Na Choon Piaw) (11/09/89)

In article <20500@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
>posed to the board is; 'How do they do it?' (meaning how are 128
>colors achieved on the screen...is it palette swapping?); the 900K
>of digitized soundtrack (IFF track splicing?) or the huge animated,
>well at least moving on the screen, characters? Was this done in C?
>Assembler? How did they create such a huge parallax effect and no
>slow down?

Well, I talked to Jay Miner on Sunday, and he said he thought some of it was
definitely dual playfield mode.  (especially the inside levels.)  I think
all of the Psychnosis games are assembly, given that they always crash on
68020 and above machines. :-)

As for the parallax effect, another friend told me he thinks it's done by
manipulating some rastport structures --- the problem is that you'll have to
take over the entire machine to do that...

The characters are done by sprites.

>-Steve Suhy

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
piaw@cory.berkeley.edu		Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
piaw@ocf.berkeley.edu		"Still on honeymoon with his Amiga...."