[comp.sys.amiga] All this Flicker-Fixer/ECS discussion

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/03/89)

Several people have shown interest in buying MicroWay's Flicker-Fixer.  Then
someone else (Bob <....> of Pro-Graphics?) says the Flicker-Fixer fixes a
non-problem, namely interlace flicker.  I'd like to put the arguments for and
against the FF into perspective here if I may.  (and I may bunge it up anyway)

FLICKER-FIXER:
First of all, what do you get with the Flicker-Fixer?  You get flicker-free
400 vertical-line displays.  This could be 320x400 HAM, 320x400 normal (2-64
colors), or 640x400 hi-res (2-16 colors) OR any of those with your favorite
overscan resolution thrown in.  Now, the 16 colors in hi-res can be ANY of the
Amiga's 4096 colors;  for example a grey-scale.  This would be good for
people who need flicker-free multi-color CAD displays or a 16-color graphics
terminal (color X11?) or for desktop publishing.  Obviously, flicker is a
real feature when you're talking about video applications, but there are
times when one may need flicker-free 16-color hi-res.  MicroWay has released
a modification for the FF to allow the use of a genlock while the FF is still
plugged in (I assume this mod. just turns interlace back on).

To use the FF, you pay something like $450-599 for the actual board and then
you need a multi-sync monitor which costs maybe $500+ (not sure of price).

ECS:
On the other hand, with ECS you can have a Productivity Mode that gives a
screen res. of 640x480 (note: not 640x400!) like that of a Mac II, but you
are limited to 4 colors (2-bitplanes) out of a palette of 64 colors.  This
is great for a professional looking Workbench, but it may not be adequate for
hi-res CAD, DTP, or other multi-color work.  I would be interested if anyone
knows exactly which 64 colors (RGB values) the user can pick from to make the
4 color screen.  One final note:  I read in Amiga Sentry that the ECS also
supports a 1008x800 greyscale display.  I think that this is an interlaced
display (i.e. flicker).  The ECS also has many other special attributes that
will make it a must-have for video work.

To use the ECS you need to purchase it when it finally gets here ($ ?) and
you need a multi-sync or perhaps a Commodore bi-sync (less expensive but non-
existant right now).

QUESTIONS:
Does the flicker-fixer work with 1008x800 greyscale displays with the current
chips and a custom driver/monitor?  I thought that you could open a 1008x800
window with some custom drivers for a Viking monitor with the current chip
set.  Is this true?

I hope I have given factual info, and maybe someone with ECS knowledge
and/or knowledge of the 1008x800 resolution could answer the questions I have.

# Baird McIntosh  "Oh it doesn't seem like this Blue Sky's here for me..."   #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (11/07/89)

What happens if you are using the "productivity mode" of the ECS
and you drag down the screen to reveal some other screen on the
top half of the display?  -- Darren

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (11/08/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.amiga: 6-Nov-89 Re: All this
> Flicker-Fixer/.. Darren New@udel.edu (165)

> What happens if you are using the "productivity mode" of the ECS
> and you drag down the screen to reveal some other screen on the
> top half of the display?  -- Darren

I'd speculate that would happen is analgous to what happens when you
drag down a 640 x 200 screen when there's a 640 x 400 screen behind....
the entire view goes into FLICKER_MODE, but the PRoductivity screen
would be refreshed normally (not every other scan cycle, or whatever you
call it.)

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (11/09/89)

In article <3241@lab.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh)
 writes:
>Several people have shown interest in buying MicroWay's Flicker-Fixer.  Then
>someone else (Bob <....> of Pro-Graphics?) says the Flicker-Fixer fixes a
>non-problem, namely interlace flicker.  I'd like to put the arguments for and
>against the FF into perspective here if I may.  (and I may bunge it up anyway)

I appreciate the effort. There are a number of areas where there is
confusion.  I apologise for the length of this (and other) postings on
the subject, but the pre-announcement of the non-interlace capability
of the ECS has led to inordinate confusion. This has been going on for
two years now and I'm looking forward to the release of 1.4 and the
enhanced Denise so that people will be able to see the difference for
themselves.

>FLICKER-FIXER:
>First of all, what do you get with the Flicker-Fixer?  You get flicker-free
>400 vertical-line displays.  This could be 320x400 HAM, 320x400 normal (2-64
>colors), or 640x400 hi-res (2-16 colors) OR any of those with your favorite
>overscan resolution thrown in.  Now, the 16 colors in hi-res can be ANY of the
>Amiga's 4096 colors;  for example a grey-scale.  This would be good for
>people who need flicker-free multi-color CAD displays or a 16-color graphics
>terminal (color X11?) or for desktop publishing.

The important point is that flicker fixer is compatible all the display
modes of the Amiga, is transparent to the system and works with all software.
It displays overscan to 704 by 470. It improves the appearance of all Amiga
displays by eliminating the visible scan lines of non-interlace modes and
de-interlacing the interlaced modes.

>Obviously, flicker is a
>real feature when you're talking about video applications, but there are
>times when one may need flicker-free 16-color hi-res.  MicroWay has released
>a modification for the FF to allow the use of a genlock while the FF is still
>plugged in (I assume this mod. just turns interlace back on).

Flicker fixer never turns interlace on or off. It operates in parallel
and simultaneously with the existing display and  has a separate output
connector. Using an inexpensive composite adapter like the A520, you can
have an NTSC composite, interlaced signal at the same time as a high
quality non-interlace display. The problem with genlocks has been that
while in genlock mode, the sync signals upon which flicker fixer depends
are modified. There is no problem using an external genlock on a machine
with a ff in the video slot, but the ff display will be messed up. The
compatibility option is an inexpensive piggyback board which allows
simultaneous non-interlace display with some external genlocks.

>To use the FF, you pay something like $450-599 for the actual board and then
>you need a multi-sync monitor which costs maybe $500+ (not sure of price).
>
>ECS:
>On the other hand, with ECS you can have a Productivity Mode that gives a
>screen res. of 640x480 (note: not 640x400!) like that of a Mac II, but you
>are limited to 4 colors (2-bitplanes) out of a palette of 64 colors.

The ECS operates more or less like other Amiga modes with respect to
overscan. The 640x480 specification for the productivity mode simply
reflects improved support for overscan in 1.4.  Flicker fixer specifies
470 pixels vertical resolution because that is the practical limit of
the wb screen under 1.2/1.3. Most users already set their wb screen size
to about 700 x 470 using morerows and many well behaved applications
(propage, for example) open their screens to that size.  Flicker fixer
supports screens to 704 horizontal by whatever the system allows
vertical (in NTSC). The existing flicker fixer will automatically work
with 640x480 under 1.4.

Note that productivity mode will require a multisync monitor. A
significant drawback of productivity mode will be chip memory
contention. When using a 4 color productivity screen, System
performance will be affected in the same way that 16 color hires
screens affect the current display.  To obtain performance similar
to the current workbench, only 2 colors may be used in productivity
mode. I have outlined other differences in an earlier posting,
<1989Nov3.032037.24321@ssi3b1.zone1.com>.

>This
>is great for a professional looking Workbench, but it may not be adequate for
>hi-res CAD, DTP, or other multi-color work.  I would be interested if anyone
>knows exactly which 64 colors (RGB values) the user can pick from to make the
>4 color screen.

Each of R, G and B may take the values 0,5,10,15.

> One final note:  I read in Amiga Sentry that the ECS also
>supports a 1008x800 greyscale display.  I think that this is an interlaced
>display (i.e. flicker).

This has nothing to do with ECS. This resolution is not possible with ECS.
You have confused the A2024/Hedley/Moniterm with ECS.

>The ECS also has many other special attributes that
>will make it a must-have for video work.

There is no problem using the new Agnus and Denise in a 2000/2500 with
a flicker fixer installed.  All compatible modes are handled fine. Any
incompatible modes are available at the normal RGB connector.

>To use the ECS you need to purchase it when it finally gets here ($ ?) and
>you need a multi-sync or perhaps a Commodore bi-sync (less expensive but non-
>existant right now).
>
>QUESTIONS:
>Does the flicker-fixer work with 1008x800 greyscale displays with the current
>chips and a custom driver/monitor?  I thought that you could open a 1008x800
>window with some custom drivers for a Viking monitor with the current chip
>set.  Is this true?

The A2024 and the Moniterm monitors have their own scan conversion
electronics and do not require ECS. They are 2 bitplane monochrome
monitors. The 1008 x 800 resolution is obtained by sending successive
portions of the image through the Amiga display system. The chunks
are reassembled by the special electronics. You are supposed to be able
to choose either 10Hz or 15Hz rates for complete frame update. The
slower rate produces less chip memory contention.  In the case of the
A2024, the circuits are in the monitor itself. The moniterm has
functionally equivalent circuits implemented as a video slot card.
 A "jumpstart" disk exists which is supposed to allow these products
to be used with 1.3. Support is supposed to be integrated into 1.4.
I believe the A2024 has not been released, the status of the Moniterm
product is unclear.

This display scheme was developed before the ECS was designed. Most
of this information was released at the DevCon before last. It was
repeated at the last DevCon and I expect we will hear still more at
the next DevCon.  The effect of the premature announcement has been
to ensure that no other high quality monochrome displays would be
developed for the Amiga.

>I hope I have given factual info, and maybe someone with ECS knowledge
>and/or knowledge of the 1008x800 resolution could answer the questions I have.

I hope I've helped clarify things.

--
Peter Selverstone ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!pselver
Spy Pond Systems  pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com