[comp.sys.amiga] Various

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (11/05/89)

Well, I went and did it. I bought a 2000 and a bunch of manuals to go
with it. A friend came over and we copied all of his
(distributable) stuff (Thanks, Rocky and Rich!). So now I have my
questions:

I seek more hardware, especially a memory board which will take 8 megs
(the max.?) but it must be able to be semi-populated. I am also looking
for another 3.5 internal floppy. There seem to be so many about. I don't
think I'll worry about harddrives yet...

Also, for a continuing project I would like to use this wondrous piece
of new hardware. In particular, I need to be able to display still-frame
images from a VCR, and to then be able to paint over those images and
store only the painted portions, for later use in animation (for use in
athletic analysis). I think a genlock would do, just not sure. Also, are
there any digitisers which will grab frames from video input. All the
ones I see advertised get their input from pictures.

As for the Demo wars, American has three Amiga's demoing in their
computer department, on their main aisle, closest to their main entrance
(Madison store), a 500, a 2000HD, and a 2500HD. Usually, the 2000 runs
the Space Ace demo and the 2500 runs the walker demo, although I have
seen others occasionally. The 500 seems to get use as the machine to
demo programs for prospective buyers.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (11/09/89)

In article <2645@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
> I need to be able to display still-frame images from a VCR, and to then be
> able to paint over those images and store only the painted portions, for
> later use in animation.

You can do that with just a genlock if you have a VCR with a rock-solid
freeze-frame and can display that image for more than 10 minutes.  Not many
VCRs can do that.

If you use a digitizer or frame grabber and save the picture as a 32-color
image, you can tell Delexe Paint read in the picture and to fix the
background as a stencil.  DPaint allows you to draw on top of the stencil,
and then pick up the stuff you drew and save that to disk.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms