[comp.sys.amiga] archivers and encoders

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (11/08/89)

Hello,

I maintain an archive-server that runs under Unix.  One of the things
that this archive-server does is take many files and convert them into
one file (eg. Unix-tar or shar).  It also converts binary files into
text (eg.  uuencode).

wI currently have arc, dclshar, shar, tar, zoo for archivers and btoa,
rscs, uuencode for encoders.

I would like to be able to support amiga people.  So what I would like
from you are archivers and encoders that will run under Unix (or at
least written in fairly portable C code) that will produce files that
amiga people will like.  Or if you already use one of the progs
that I am currently using I would like to know that.

Please email to me.  I don't read this group.

thanks
--

Michael DeCorte // H215-546-0497 W386-8164 Fax386-8252 // mrd@clutx.bitnet
2300 Naudain St. "H", Phil, PA 19146 // mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) (11/09/89)

>/ hpdml93:comp.sys.amiga / aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) / 12:26 am  Nov  8, 1989 /
>In article <987@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> maniac@arrakis.nevada.edu.uucp (ERIC SCHWERTFEGER) writes:
>>What version of Zoo do you have?  I have 2.01, and I have to specify every
>>directory myself.  Yes, zoo will store the full path name, but in order to
>>zoo the fonts directory, and all subdirectories, for example, you would
>>need to "zoo a foobar fonts:*" then "zoo a foobar fonts:topaz/*", etc, for
>>each individual subdirectory.
>>
>I have 2.01 running on Unix, (at least I think it is 2.01), and to
>store whole directories I move to the top directory and send a:

>find * -print | zoo aI archivename

>'find' will output a list with all the paths, which gets piped to zoo.

>However, I haven't figured out how to do this on Amiga yet. Anyone knows of
>a 'find' program for the Amiga? I'm running Cshell v3.03a. Any other way?

Yes, there is an Amiga find.  I have been using it for quite a while
now.  I think I got it off this net (comp.sources.amiga).  Source was
include.  The ARP (Amiga Replacment Project) shell (also known as ASH)
can do unix style piping (using the PIP: device that comes with ConMan)
and you should be able to pipe the output of find into zoo as shown
above.

I just got through uploading find to BIX.  Maybe it should be
(re-?)posted here?

Ok, I found it (here at work).  It was written by Rodney Lewis.  I have
the source, and its version 1.2.  It was posted in comp.sources.amiga
in march of this year (1989).

--
Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)
              or(rodger%hpdml93@hplabs.hp.com)