[comp.sys.amiga] VLT 4.226 and XPRzmodem problems

macdonald@dickns.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) (11/07/89)

I have encountered a problem with V4.226 VLT and V2.0 XPRzmodem.
When attempted to upload a file, the upload fails and a "Skip
command detected" message is displayed. This happens on approximately
25% of my attempted transfers. Any idea what the cause of this might be?

Also, in VLT, if I do a zmodem transfer and then do a kermit or xmodem
transfer, the transfer status box does not properly indicate the
transfer protocol in use.

Paul

aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (11/08/89)

In article <8911071519.AA25367@decwrl.dec.com> macdonald@dickns.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) writes:

>I have encountered a problem with V4.226 VLT and V2.0 XPRzmodem.
>When attempted to upload a file, the upload fails and a "Skip
>command detected" message is displayed. This happens on approximately
>25% of my attempted transfers. Any idea what the cause of this might be?

It *MIGHT* be that either that file already exists on the host, so the
host (receiver) decides to skip and go on to the next file (if there is
one), or the host cannot create the file (i.e. illegal filename, read-only
directory, etc..), or could be a problem with the receiver zmodem routine.

I've used XprZmodem2.0 both on unix (with rz/sz), and BBS's (WWIV, Atredes)
with no problems. Nice if it supported CRC-32, but I'll take it anyway I can.

(err, found a CRC-32 routine, but since I don't have a C compiler yet, I can't
attempt to modify it yet. If anyone wants to try it tho, mail..)

                                                   aliu@nunki.usc.edu
                                                      Forwarded (MD)

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (11/09/89)

From article <8911071519.AA25367@decwrl.dec.com>, by macdonald@dickns.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30):

> I have encountered a problem with V4.226 VLT and V2.0 XPRzmodem.
> When attempted to upload a file, the upload fails and a "Skip
> command detected" message is displayed. This happens on approximately
> 25% of my attempted transfers. Any idea what the cause of this might be?

I haven't had this problem.

> Also, in VLT, if I do a zmodem transfer and then do a kermit or xmodem
> transfer, the transfer status box does not properly indicate the
> transfer protocol in use.

But this happens to me all the time.

While I'm at it, I might as well make another plea fro VLT jr.  I can't find it anywhere,
and I'm not on BIX.

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (11/10/89)

macdonald@dickns.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) writes:
>I have encountered a problem with V4.226 VLT and V2.0 XPRzmodem.
>When attempted to upload a file, the upload fails and a "Skip
>command detected" message is displayed. This happens on approximately
>25% of my attempted transfers. Any idea what the cause of this might be?

   I had the same problem as you had and got around it by setting the 'text
   mode' option from 'C' to an N or Y (depents on the file transfer), no
   problems anymore since I changed it.

   Besides this very minor point in a very good PD (!) package, there's a
   now known bug in the overwrite options of the xprz .lib.

   To Rick, thanx for xprz, just great !

---
             Michel Langereis -- Above opinions are mine.
        uucp: hp4nl!neabbs!amichel@uunet.uu.net | bix: tmpda