[comp.sys.amiga] Transformer

brianr@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (07/08/87)

A week or so ago, I bought an external 5.25" drive for
my Amiga 1000, chiefly so that I could use the Transformer
software which comes with the drive to run some IBM-ish
programs that I use occasionally.  I know they'll run
very slowly under Transformer, but they're not worth
paying more for a Sidecar than the price of a clone.

Though I am using disks patched for Workbench 1.2 by the
people in the computer store, and even though these disks
work fine in the store's A1000 and A500, when I try to use
the Transformer in my machine, it doesn't work.

At the point where Transformer prints up the current IBM
system configuration and options settings, just prior to
plunging into 8086-land,  the ammount of memory listed as
being available for DOS is 9K.  On the store's machines,
there is upwards of 300K available.

My configuration is the Amiga 1000, with CMA's Kickstart
Eliminator kit, and the Insider 1Meg memory expansion.
It occurred to me that the IBM emulator might be fastening upon
the 256K WCS ram bank freed by the Kickstart Eliminator,
(which is not contiguous with the rest of my machine's memory)
for use as the "IBM"s main memory.  If that was so, there might
well be only 9K left over.

To test this, I lifted the pin of the PAL which supplies
the WR* strobe to the WCS ram bank, and strapped the WCS'
WR* line HIGH.  By using a debugger, I verified that my
tampering had indeed "denatured" the WCS ram, but the
Transformer program still wouldn't run, and it STILL
claimed that it only had 9K of memory to work with.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or, better still,
a helpful suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Rhodefer   ...tektronix!tekig4!brianr

PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM.UUCP (07/09/87)

after working on the one at the store.

My transformer quit working after I got extra memory.  I have ASDG's expansion
ram and I have tried his program to hide the extra memory and fixhunk on
the transformer program.  Neither worked.  I threw out the 1.2 version and now
use a different trick.  When I need the transformer, I use the PD program
CHANGEKICKSTART.  I go back to workbench v1.1 (DON'T addmem).  Now I have a
512K machine and transformer works fine.  When I am done, I Change Kickstart
again and it is a quick boot back to 1.2 'cause everything is still in VD0:
where I left it.

For those not interested in the transformer, my apologies as I couldn't email
to his address at this time.

Aubrey Sparkman
DisClaim it all
Pkg.sparkman@mcc.com
-------

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (07/09/87)

The original poster is using the KS Eliminator, and "disks patched
for Workbench 1.2 by the dealer".

I'm not sure what patching was done, but non-hacked versions of the
Transformer software itself run [apparently] only under v1.1 of the
OS.

Transformer poops out if you've switched your CPU to 68010.  I had
been using a 68010 successfully for a while before I got
Transformer.  I was a bit let down that transformer wasn't
compatible with the '010.  I went back to using the '000 so that I
could run transformer, as the performance gain with the '010 was
only a few per cent any way.

I was going to theorize that transformer would get upset by the
"half fast" RAM resulting from the KS eliminator, but that was
tried.  Transformer might get upset with fast RAM if you've got any
of that in your expansion port.

Anybody out there know what the patches are that enable Transformer
to run under 1.2?

Bill
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/15/87)

in article <12316895521.73.PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM>, PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM (Aubrey Sparkman) says:

> When I need the transformer, I use the PD program
> CHANGEKICKSTART.  I go back to workbench v1.1 (DON'T addmem).  Now I have a
> 512K machine and transformer works fine.  When I am done, I Change Kickstart
> again and it is a quick boot back to 1.2 'cause everything is still in VD0:
> where I left it.

One caution about Change Kickstart, don't leave any un-writeprotected
disks in the drives when you activate it. Last night I lost the entire
root track (40) on a disk that was in df1:, Change Kickstart was the
only unusual thing I did, so I suspect it of the damage.

Better safe than sorry.

And thank god (or Dave Haynie) for DiskSalv!! Damage was limited to
loosing two files: .info, and a read.me. THANKS DAVE!!!

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

brianr@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Rhodefer) (07/17/87)

A while back, I posted a whiny article soliciting advice for
making Transformer work under Kickstart/Workbench ver1.2.
I've finally succeeded, and thought it might be useful to
post the details:

For some inexplicable reason, Transformer didn't like my
1 megabyte "Insider" RAM expansion.  I put a switch on the
back of my Amiga which allows me to change the Insider's
address from $C0,0000 to $80,0000;  at $80,0000 (or anywhere
but $C0,0000), the expansion ram isn't automatically added to
the system at power-up.  Powering up with the Insider at $80,0000,
Transformer would work just fine, except that it only claimed
to have some 370K of memory for use by DOS.

I've found that by "addmem"ing PART of the Insider's ram, I
can make more than 370K available to DOS.  Addmem 800000 883fff
results in about 550K (I don't remember the exact figure) being
available to DOS;  a little more fiddling will disclose the "magic"
number that nets the full 640K.

I can't figure out why Transformer only says it has 23K available
for DOS if the entire 1Meg is added to the system.  Oh, well...

Having the switchable Insider address also allows the old EA games
which didn't ask for CHIP memory as they should've to work once
more.  It came as quite a shock when, trying to impress a guest,
and saying, "...but, probably the best game of all is ARCHON...",
I blew the dust off the disk, booted it, and noticed that none of
the sprites were visible, and the audio was fribbitzed!

Starting to cope,

Brian Rhodefer

sbmueller@trillium.waterloo.edu (Stephan Mueller) (03/31/88)

A kwik question about Transformer:

I have been running Transformer for a couple of months now using
Phil Staub's WONDERFUL enhancement to the product, PSTrans.  PSTrans
is a replacement loader for the main AT1 file that is the Transformer,
which allows use under WB1.2, works with expanded memory (finally! 640K
available) and although I haven't tested it yet, works with 68010/20.

1) Thanx Phil!

2) the question: does the official Commodore upgrade do all of these?
   Does it do any more than this?

Ad-THANX-vance

APD: |~
(all purpose disclaimer: Or Not)
"Na na na na" - The Beatles|Nylons                      Amiga
"Who Ha, Whoha" - FGTH               This space             //    Bizarre/Design
"Aah, aah" - Queen                   currently             //       Twisted/Fate
"Thunk, thunk" - RoboCop             under             \\ //               DY/DX
"Has anyone seen my marbles?"        construction.      \//          Body/Fisher
 - sbmueller@trillium.waterloo.edu                      Freak
--------------------------------------------@-#$--!@#$--$----#$%^&* parity error

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (04/07/88)

In article <6115@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sbmueller@trillium.waterloo.edu (Stephan Mueller) writes:

>I have been running Transformer for a couple of months now using
>Phil Staub's WONDERFUL enhancement to the product, PSTrans.  PSTrans
>is a replacement loader for the main AT1 file that is the Transformer,
>which allows use under WB1.2, works with expanded memory (finally! 640K
>available) and although I haven't tested it yet, works with 68010/20.
>
>2) the question: does the official Commodore upgrade do all of these?
>   Does it do any more than this?

  The Official CBM release of Transormer 1.2 will run under V1.2 OS and
  does work with expanded memory (IE: 640K avail) - as for working with
  a 010/020 - your out of luck there :-(

> - sbmueller@trillium.waterloo.edu                      Freak
--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/09/88)

In article <3587@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>  The Official CBM release of Transormer 1.2 will run under V1.2 OS and
>  does work with expanded memory (IE: 640K avail) - as for working with
>  a 010/020 - your out of luck there :-(

There are a couple utilites that will patch the transformer to work with
a 010 or 020.  I believe they will work with either version of the
transformer, but the names escape me at the moment.  ('wish' might be
one of them...)

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (06/30/88)

After running around to several Amiga dealers, I have learned
that Amiga Transformer MUST be purchased as a $200 package
complete with a 5-1/4 inch disk drive.  I need to get this
software, but I have absolutely no use for the drive.

Damn frustrating.  I've turned down opportunities to pirate
this program, but am annoyed because it appears I cannot
obtain it any other way.

-scott

papa@pollux.usc.edu.UUCP (07/01/88)

In article <733@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
|After running around to several Amiga dealers, I have learned
|that Amiga Transformer MUST be purchased as a $200 package
|complete with a 5-1/4 inch disk drive.  I need to get this
|software, but I have absolutely no use for the drive.

I hope you understand that it will only work on the Amiga 1000 and 500,
and will NOT work on the A2000.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

Arved@cup.portal.com (07/03/88)

I was given a copy of the latest release of Transformer by "my local Amiga
dealer" after I strongly made it aware to him that I didn't want it if it
wasn't PD/Shareware/otherwise freely distributable.  The dealer promised
that it was, and also noted that it was included free with the external
5.25" disk drive, so is of "no real value."  On that basis, I tried it on
my 2000.

Other than needing the "keyboard fix," it ran fine.

Will someone here from Commodore please confirm or deny IN AN OFFICIAL WAY
that the program is freely distributable?  None of this disclaimer stuff here,
WE NEED A REAL ANSWER!  There seems to be a real concern over the distribution
and many of us who refuse to be pirates are really questioning this issue.

Personally, the lack of any graphics emulation and dismal speed render t
software useless.  I've only used it to verify that it works.  I have not
distributed it.

- Arved     Arved@cup.portal.com or !sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Arved        //
"Based on my verbal skills, they thought I should be a mime."             \X/

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/05/88)

In article <7080@cup.portal.com> Arved@cup.portal.com writes:
>Will someone here from Commodore please confirm or deny IN AN OFFICIAL WAY
>that the program is freely distributable?  None of this disclaimer stuff here,

It's not freely distributable.  (However, Commodore dealers can distribute
it...they are authorized.)

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Un*x is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very
carefully.

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (04/11/89)

     What is the current status of the Transformer?  I would be
 Interested in emulating Messy-DOS, but have no intention on purchacing
 the Bridgeboard.  I have heard of all sorts of patches to let it run
 under 1.2 and possibly ever use the Amiga 3.5 as a 720k IBM drive.
 Is it still available and where?

jay@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jay Kumarasingam) (04/13/89)

In article <12841@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

>     What is the current status of the Transformer?  I would be
> Interested in emulating Messy-DOS, but have no intention on purchacing
> the Bridgeboard.  I have heard of all sorts of patches to let it run
> under 1.2 and possibly ever use the Amiga 3.5 as a 720k IBM drive.
> Is it still available and where?

I too would be interested in finding out the current status of the Transformer.
I have the Amiga 1000 and use the Transformer with Kickstart 1.1.
I would like to be able to use it with it 1.2 or 1.3 and the Lucas Board when I get around to building it.
Can you purchase the Lucas Board ready built ?

--
J.(Jay) Kumarasingam
UUCP:	{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4,utcsri}!garfield!jay

hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (04/15/89)

In article <5177@garfield.MUN.EDU> jay@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:
>In article <12841@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>>
>>     What is the current status of the Transformer?  I would be
>> Interested in emulating Messy-DOS, but have no intention on purchacing
>> the Bridgeboard.  I have heard of all sorts of patches to let it run
>> under 1.2 and possibly ever use the Amiga 3.5 as a 720k IBM drive.
>> Is it still available and where?
>
>I too would be interested in finding out the current status of the Transformer.
>I have the Amiga 1000 and use the Transformer with Kickstart 1.1.

There is a patch program called "pstransformer" that will allow transformer
to deal with expanded memory and more current versions of kickstart. It
doesn't do anything about the speed, though. I have used it on an A500 with
no problems. However, it doesn't work with my 2000, as it seems to lock out
the keyboard. I have one of the "old" keyboards, with small Fkeys, and have
never had it modified. This is the only program it has problems with.

Transformer is unfortunately a dead issue as far as CBM is concerned. I
understand the economics, with the current emphasis on the Bridgecard as the
MSD*S compatability solution. Unfortunately, there are many like me who
aren't thrilled at the opportunity to use MSD*S on their Amigas, but
occasionaly have to. A bridgecard is simply too expensive a solution for
such a small amount of usage. On the other hand, the Bridgecard is by far a
more elegant solution.

PStransformer is available on one of the Fish disks, as well your local BBS.
The last version I saw was 1.2, and it appeared stable.

--hal

--
----------------
hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu              "Everything is a reaction"

8642420@wwu.edu (eric cosky) (04/17/89)

	Well, if it's true that Transformer is Dead, then I wonder if it
would be possible for CBM to release it to PD? I'd like to check out source
for this program. Slow it may be, but the idea in action is _very_ impressive
to me.

-eric cosky
InterNet: 8642420@wwu.edu
ATT: 206-733-1331

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/18/89)

In article <13232@louie.udel.EDU> 8642420@wwu.edu (eric cosky) writes:

>	Well, if it's true that Transformer is Dead, then I wonder if it
>would be possible for CBM to release it to PD? I'd like to check out source
>for this program. Slow it may be, but the idea in action is _very_ impressive
>to me.

The Transformer is a product developed for C-A by a third party (the
same people who sell PC-Ditto for the ST, actually).  So we couldn't release
any source to it (even if we had it :-)  )

I believe you can get the PD source to a CP/M emulator on one of the
fish disks, if looking into emulators is your thing.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

- "Stupid of me not to have seen it before."
- "Not really, deathgod."

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/09/89)

   My newsfeed site had drive problems and it appears that news has been lost.
  I received mail from someone asking about my previous Transformer 010 patch
  message.

   The patch I posted was tested on Transformer V1.1, there are two versions
  of Transformer (V1.1 & V1.2) and I have no idea if it works with V1.2 ....

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

grego@darkeyes.sgi.com (Greg Orsini) (06/10/89)

I keep hearing about Transformer 1.1 and v1.2.  I've still got 1.0.  Does any-
body have any idea how to upgrade the thing?

Thanks,  Greg Orsini
(408) 476-5292     grego@darkeyes.sgi.com    ucbvax!sgi.com!grego

--
---
Greg Orsini, contractor at large

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (06/11/89)

In article <8492.AA8492@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:

>   My newsfeed site had drive problems and it appears that news has been lost.
>  I received mail from someone asking about my previous Transformer 010 patch
>  message.             ^^^^^^^
>
>   The patch I posted was tested on Transformer V1.1, there are two versions
>  of Transformer (V1.1 & V1.2) and I have no idea if it works with V1.2 ....
>
>  Sneakers

Well, that was *ME* who asked that, but it was really just a general question
as to *WHAT* version you had tested it on... as Dan stated, he tested it on
the V1.1 Transformer and changed 4 Hex strings.  Whereas *I* used it on
V1.2 Transformer and changed *3* Hex strings, there were NO 40c4 strings in
V1.2 just the other three: 40c2, 40c6, 40c7 Hex strings.  It also worked
PERFECTLY, no problems AT ALL to date, the Transformer booted and loaded DOS
correclty the very 1st try, so THANKS DAN!  As I posted earlier I was UNABLE
to get Fix68010 to fix my Transformer (at1 to be exact) it changed 190 strings
but Transformer would still NOT boot DOS, it flashed the power light and asked
for the WorkBench again...  also, I am using V1.2 Transformer with KS/WB 1.3
on a 1000...  so *I* can say, try Fix68010, if that does NOT work, use Dans
way, checking for ALL the Hex strings, mine may be different than others
and I do NOT want people to NOT hunt for Hex 40c4, look for em all, if it is
not there, fine, if it is change it as per Dans posting...

Thanks again Dan, and hope this helps other people out who still want to use
Transformer...

p.s. to DAN, I did get a hold of Mike, thanks for the corrected phone #!

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/13/89)

In Message <7688@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:

>Well, that was *ME* who asked that, but it was really just a general question
>as to *WHAT* version you had tested it on... as Dan stated, he tested it on
>the V1.1 Transformer and changed 4 Hex strings.  Whereas *I* used it on
>V1.2 Transformer and changed *3* Hex strings, there were NO 40c4 strings in
>V1.2 just the other three: 40c2, 40c6, 40c7 Hex strings.  It also worked
>PERFECTLY, no problems AT ALL to date, the Transformer booted and loaded DOS
>correclty the very 1st try, so THANKS DAN!

 Im glad it worked but boy does that make me feel old. I sent that to Tansactor
before there was an Amiga version.... My how time flys ;-)

>p.s. to DAN, I did get a hold of Mike, thanks for the corrected phone #!

 Great.

>*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

 I saw a sign similar to this in the Janus2.0 dept. at CBM but it read:

 *-"If it does work, we DIDN'T do it!"--------------------------------*

  Just kidding Bill ;-)

 Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS
    Sneakers Computing              ////   80+ Megs of software & messages
    2455 McKinley Ave.      ___    ////         12/2400 Baud - 24 Hrs
    West Lawn, PA 19609     \\\\  ////              215/678-7691
                             \\\\////
    {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers

davidb@psych.toronto.edu (David Brodbeck) (10/03/89)

Hi!  Listen, I bought an A1020 to use with my 500 a while back.  Its a
fine place to store extra commands but I thought I'd like to use the
Transformer with it.  However, this didn't come with it (was it supposed
to?)  If not can I get a hold of Transformer 1.2 or is it no longer
available (My Dad's business partner has 1.1 but he never registered his
purchases and never upgraded, since he bought a 2000 w/ a bridge, he
was willing to give it to me, but...).  Does anybody have one they want
to sell (for relatively cheap :-)).
Please respond via email since its kinda tough to keep up w/ comp.sys.amiga
Thanks in advance
Dave
--
      //  | Dave Brodbeck - University of Toronto Psychology |   GO
     //   | davidb@psych.toronto.edu                         | HABS

ls33+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lewis I. Sibley) (11/08/89)

   I've heard people mention a product named "Transformer", which is supposed
to allow IBM files to run on the Amiga.  As this was probably covered ages ago
on the Net, could someone please e-mail me some info about it, like where to
get it and how well it works?  Thanks.
  Lewis Sibley

  (ls33+@andrew.cmu.edu) (Internet/BITNET)
  (WHAT@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU) (BITNET only)

arao@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aswath.k.rao) (11/10/89)

From article <QZJtNaa00WB6M5DHUL@andrew.cmu.edu>, by ls33+@andrew.cmu.edu (Lewis I. Sibley):

>    I've heard people mention a product named "Transformer", which is supposed
> to allow IBM files to run on the Amiga.  As this was probably covered ages ago
> on the Net, could someone please e-mail me some info about it, like where to
> get it and how well it works?  Thanks.
>   Lewis Sibley
>
>   (ls33+@andrew.cmu.edu) (Internet/BITNET)
>   (WHAT@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU) (BITNET only)
Can you please post it to the net? Thanks..Aswath