[comp.sys.amiga] Hard drive controllers

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan W. McKay) (04/16/89)

I am about to purchase a B2000.  I am going to buy a hard disk for the
think and a have a simple question which has probably been asked a number
of times in one way or another.  The two hard disk controllers I am looking
at are the Commodore 2090A and the GVP controller.  What are the advantages/
disadvantages of each.  I remember hearing something a while ago about the
Commodore drive that made me think 'God, that is horrible' but I can't
remember what it was.  If people could email me some stuff I could summarize
and post the results.
-thanks
--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates           %

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (04/19/89)

Re: Questions about a hard drive controllers in 2000

Along these same lines -- what do folks recommend when it comes to
the drives themselves? I am droolong (slobber) over the prospect
of getting a 2000 soon. I would like to know the advantages or
disadvantages of the 3.5" vs 5.25" hard drives.
(ie 40 MB vs 65MB) I'm leaning toward the 5.25" so far.

The access times are said to be the same, about 40 ms. (I think)

Thanks,

Dave S.

In <2030176@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
> Along these same lines -- what do folks recommend when it comes to
> the drives themselves? I am droolong (slobber) over the prospect
> of getting a 2000 soon. I would like to know the advantages or
> disadvantages of the 3.5" vs 5.25" hard drives.
> (ie 40 MB vs 65MB) I'm leaning toward the 5.25" so far.

> The access times are said to be the same, about 40 ms. (I think)

Huh? 3.5" drives come in many sizes and access times, as do 5 1/4" drives. My
smallest 3.5" is 10 megs, the same as my smallest 5 1/4" drive. My largest 3.5"
drive is 96 megs, which is 20 megs more than my largest 5 1/4" inch drive.

The physical size, within the price range that most hobbyists are likely to
want, doesn't make a whole lot of difference, except for the amount of room
they take up.

Likewise for access times... they are all over the map, in both 3.5 and 5 1/4".

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (04/27/89)

 Larry,

>In <2030176@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>> Along these same lines -- what do folks recommend when it comes to
>> the drives themselves? I am droolong (slobber) over the prospect
>> of getting a 2000 soon. I would like to know the advantages or
>> disadvantages of the 3.5" vs 5.25" hard drives.
>> (ie 40 MB vs 65MB) I'm leaning toward the 5.25" so far.

>> The access times are said to be the same, about 40 ms. (I think)

>Huh? 3.5" drives come in many sizes and access times, as do 5 1/4" drives. My
>smallest 3.5" is 10 megs, same as my smallest 5 1/4" drive. My largest 3.5"
>drive is 96 megs, which is 20 megs more than my largest 5 1/4" inch drive.

Ummm yeah -- so!?!?

>The physical size, within the price range that most hobbyists are likely to
>want, doesn't make a whole lot of difference, except for the amount of room
>they take up.

>Likewise for access times... they are all over the map, in both 3.5 and 5 1/4".

Ummm yeah -- so!?!?

I'm sorry Larry - maybe it's because the kid kept me up last night or
something, but I just don't seem catch the point your trying to make here.

A quick peek at the price list of AMIGA compatible hard disks will show
what you have told me.

Let me give a few more bits of info.

There are two drives I am considering, one a 3.5" 40 MEG and the other
a 5.25" 65 MEG.
The price of the two drives I am considering is also the same.
They both go inside the 2000 box.

I haven't heard of anyone who uses a 5 1/4" HD with their AMIGA. I was
just fishing for a possible reason why. It seems to me that if I can
get 25 MEG more room for the same price then why not go for the
5 1/4" drive. This is particularly true if I end up filling the thing up
like I do at work. (450 MEGs and still could use more.)

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question.
Dave S.

In <2030178@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>>In <2030176@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>>> Along these same lines -- what do folks recommend when it comes to
>>> the drives themselves? I am droolong (slobber) over the prospect
>>> of getting a 2000 soon. I would like to know the advantages or
>>> disadvantages of the 3.5" vs 5.25" hard drives.
>>> (ie 40 MB vs 65MB) I'm leaning toward the 5.25" so far.
>
>>> The access times are said to be the same, about 40 ms. (I think)
>
>>Huh? 3.5" drives come in many sizes and access times, as do 5 1/4" drives. My
>>smallest 3.5" is 10 megs, same as my smallest 5 1/4" drive. My largest 3.5"
>>drive is 96 megs, which is 20 megs more than my largest 5 1/4" inch drive.
>
>Ummm yeah -- so!?!?

'3.5" vs. 5.25" ... (ie. 40 vs. 65 Mb)'

Sounded a lot like you knew of only two drives, one 40, one 65 megs, one 3.5",
one 5.25".

>>Likewise for access times... they are all over the map, in both 3.5 and 5 1/4".
>
>Ummm yeah -- so!?!?

Same goes for access times.

>I'm sorry Larry - maybe it's because the kid kept me up last night or
>something, but I just don't seem catch the point your trying to make here.

Just letting you know that there are a lot of choices, in both capacity and in
access times.

>There are two drives I am considering, one a 3.5" 40 MEG and the other
>a 5.25" 65 MEG.
>The price of the two drives I am considering is also the same.
>They both go inside the 2000 box.

Ahh... there's the crux of the matter. You were wondering about two specific
models of drive. OK. No problem. Hope my attempt at helping didn't upset you
too much.

>I haven't heard of anyone who uses a 5 1/4" HD with their AMIGA. I was
>just fishing for a possible reason why. It seems to me that if I can
>get 25 MEG more room for the same price then why not go for the
>5 1/4" drive. This is particularly true if I end up filling the thing up
>like I do at work. (450 MEGs and still could use more.)

I see no reason to avoid the 5.25" drive. At various times, I have had 5.25,
3.5, and both together internally, and full height 5.25 units externally. I
have seen people who preferred to leave the 5.25" bay clear in case they ever
want to put a 5.25" floppy and Bridge card into the machine, and some who
wanted the 3.5" bay free for a 3.5" floppy. Personally, I would never have a
need for a 5.25" floppy drive, and don't mind hacking a 3.5 floppy into the
5.25" bay or adding it externally if I need the extra floppy, so I just put
drives wherever they fit, with the preference being internally.

I think your overriding priority should be to get as large a capacity drive as
you can, within your budget constraints. They do tend to fill up.

>Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question.

Again, no problem. Just trying to be helpful.

>Dave S.

-larry

--

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (05/06/89)

>Sounded a lot like you knew of only two drives, one 40, one 65 megs, one 3.5",
>one 5.25".

No - Sometimes what I THINK I say is not what I DO say.

>>I'm sorry Larry - maybe it's because the kid kept me up last night or
>>something, but I just don't seem catch the point your trying to make here.

>Just letting you know that there are a lot of choices, in both capacity and in
>access times.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. It happens sometimes.

>>There are two drives I am considering, one a 3.5" 40 MEG and the other
>>a 5.25" 65 MEG.
>>The price of the two drives I am considering is also the same.
>>They both go inside the 2000 box.

>Ahh... there's the crux of the matter. You were wondering about two specific
>models of drive. OK. No problem. Hope my attempt at helping didn't upset you
>too much.

Not at all - I appreciate the help.

>need for a 5.25" floppy drive, and don't mind hacking a 3.5 floppy into the
>5.25" bay or adding it externally if I need the extra floppy, so I just put
>drives wherever they fit, with the preference being internally.

This is something I never thought of. TWO internal hard drives.
I like it!

>>Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question.

>Again, no problem. Just trying to be helpful.

Thanks.

Dave S.

juan@arrakis.nevada.edu (Juanderful) (11/09/89)

I haven't seen much about the A590 hard drive controller and would
like to know more about it.  I need a SCSI controller with memory
expansion for my A500, I would like to be able to supply my own drive.
I've read reviews about controllers in some magazines, but they all supplied
the drive (and the article left me confused).  I would like to be able
to chain drives, how is this done? I've heard that it can be done easily
with SCSI.  Any suggestions or experiences with SCSI controllers would
be greatly appreciated.

					-John

In article <1003@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> juan@arrakis.nevada.edu.uucp writes:
>I haven't seen much about the A590 hard drive controller and would
>like to know more about it.  I need a SCSI controller with memory
>expansion for my A500, I would like to be able to supply my own drive.

The 590 appears to be a good interface, it is truely unfortunate that
Commodore doesn't sell it without the cheesy 20Mg drive built in for
those folks who don't want it. But it does include a 25pin SCSI connecto
on the back so that you can connect an external fast SCSI drive.
I've found that the Jasmine packages for drives are really nice (they
sell the DirectDrive series of drives for the Mac). Anyway it costs
about the same as the 500 ($590) but you can plug 2M of RAM into it
as well.

--Chuck McManis
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"