[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Dealers

carlson@betelgeuse.uucp (Richard L. Carlson) (10/29/88)

In article <7414@ut-emx.UUCP> dak@ut-emx.UUCP (Donald A Kassebaum) writes:
>  . . .
>	The point of this article is that it is not lack of Commodore support
>	in Austin (Byte by Byte got a whole lot of that and didn't do well
>	with hardware because of their management), but it is also we, the
>	loyal Amiga user comunity, that must help.  Let's get things moving.
>	No dealership will stay in business unless we support them.
>
>	I am sure that this article applies to many other areas of the country.
>
>	Don Kassebaum

There have been several articles over the past few months arguing to support
your local dealer.  But in spite of the extra support I would expect to
receive from a dealer, I have *never* bought hardware or software (well,
except for blank floppies) from my local dealer.

Why?  Well, out of the four dealers I've been involved with (three in my
"permanent" home town, and one at my current location), *none* has projected
an eagerness to help me when I walked in the store, an impression that I was
an important and valued customer, or even an indication that they really
knew anything non-superficial about the Amiga machines they're supposed to
be selling.  Part of the problem may be that most of these dealers also
handle other brands of computers---in and of itself, this is not a bad
thing; the Amiga is not the optimal computer for all possible applications,
and a good dealer, having the responsibility to help the customer find the
best configuration for his needs, should be able to offer a wide range of
alternatives.  *But*, a dealer is certainly doing *no* service to his
customers if he spreads himself so thinly that he doesn't know everything
he sells inside and out.

And, as far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no excuse for dealers to
treat customers as minor inconveniences, which is exactly how I've felt
several times upon entering a dealer's store.  Now, as has been noted
before on this net, it is unreasonable to expect dealers to be heavy-duty
Amiga programmer-gurus.  But it is quite reasonable (I hope) to expect
them to be courteous and knowledgeable salespeople.

I hope that my experiences are in the minority, but batting 0/4, I'm either
very unlucky, or else these experiences are somewhat representative.  On the
other hand, I'm certainly not inferring that there are no good dealers---on
the contrary, stories of their existence :-) demonstrate to me that it is
reasonable to expect better performance than I have seen.

This was not meant to be a flame, but rather constructive criticism.  I will
be happy to patronize my local dealer (even if it costs me a bit more
money), but *only* if I can see more than dollar signs in his eyes as I am
talking to him.  Support is a two-way street.

-- Richard     (donning his asbestos suit, just in case)
   carlson@ernie.berkeley.edu
   ...!ucbvax!ernie!carlson

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (10/31/88)

in article <26615@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, carlson@betelgeuse.uucp (Richard L. Carlson) says:
> There have been several articles over the past few months arguing to support
> your local dealer.  But in spite of the extra support I would expect to
> receive from a dealer, I have *never* bought hardware or software (well,
> except for blank floppies) from my local dealer.
>
> Why?  Well, out of the four dealers I've been involved with (three in my
> "permanent" home town, and one at my current location), *none* has projected
> an eagerness to help me when I walked in the store, an impression that I was
> an important and valued customer, or even an indication that they really
> knew anything non-superficial about the Amiga machines they're supposed to
> be selling.

If they sell other brands of computers, chances are that they recieve
the majority of their income from business contracts. It is becoming
almost impossible to support a computer store on walk-in business
alone, and, in fact, in many instances, walk-in business is an almost
trivial part of their total income.
     Needless to say, the temptation to dismiss walk-in business as a
nuisance becomes strong in such a situation. The only time you might
see them really get enthusiastic about walk-ins is if it's someone in
a conservative business suit who looks like a middle manager (i.e.,
NOT your typical Amiga customer).
     Even so, you might not get anywhere. For example, my boss and I
went into the local Macintosh dealership to look at the Mac II. He was
in suit and tie, and I, as techie(Typical Amiga Owner), was of course
in jeans and jogging shoes. He got prompt attention, especially when
he let it be known that he was thinking about 20 or 30 of the
beasties.  BUT, the sales person had been on the job for a whole 2
weeks, and knew even less about the Mac II than I did.  After a whole
30 minutes of getting nowhere, we turned around and left. I guess I
should have insisted on talking to their techie, but I wasn't enthused
enough about Macs to bother....

--

Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

In article <5959@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>in article <26615@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, carlson@betelgeuse.uucp (Richard L. Carlson) says:
>> Why?  Well, out of the four dealers I've been involved with (three in my
>> "permanent" home town, and one at my current location), *none* has projected
>> an eagerness to help me when I walked in the store, an impression that I was
>> an important and valued customer, or even an indication that they really
>> knew anything non-superficial about the Amiga machines they're supposed to
>> be selling.

>If they sell other brands of computers, chances are that they recieve
>the majority of their income from business contracts. It is becoming
>almost impossible to support a computer store on walk-in business
>alone, and, in fact, in many instances, walk-in business is an almost
>trivial part of their total income.

	There are exceptions to this, such as Software & Such just outside
of Schenectady, NY.  Great service, very friendly, well run, is quite
willing to let you try programs in the store to decide if you want them,
only hardware sold is Amiga, and has a good selection.  The type of store
every Amiga dealer should be.  The store has even arranged a trip to
World of Commmodore here in Philadelphia later this week, I'm told, for
interested Amiga owners.

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

koeppel@porthos.rutgers.edu (jess) (11/03/88)

I was thinking of buying an A500. As a matter of fact, I was ready to
buy it before I walked into the store. The store was DOS Computer Center
on Rt. 22 in N.J. I had seen the 500 advertised for $700 and had read
on the net various reports of prices around $600. The store had been
suggested by an Amiga enthusiast (I assume - he appears to run the
Jersey Amiga Users Group) so I was expecting decent service and good
prices. Well, I was terribly dissapointed. The salesman wouldn't shut
up about different promotions and deals that were avalable. I said
"Look, I know what I wnat already. I'd like to buy the A500, no extra
anythings, o.k.?" He went on to insist that I would need such and such
and how could I pass up this offer... Well, he finished by saying "So,
that comes to $1300." "No", I said, "I came in willing and wanting to
spend 6 to 7 hundred because that's what I've got to spend right now and I
know exactly what I expect to get from it, and that's just fine."
"But..." I wouldn't let him continue - I said that we'd have to think
about it. I regret having been so nice.
      I haven't been able to find any other place to buy an Amiga
around here. Can they be bought directly from the company? Would that
by any chance be cheaper? How much can I really expect to pay for an A500?
Did people really get them for $600? Actually, never mind some of
those questions, some of my situations have changed recently, and it
looks like I'll be willing to wait a little longer and get the A2000.
So reapply those questions to the A2000. How much can I expect to pay
for one? Where can I get one? I am more than willing to go into New
York City if that would be cheaper. (Or even just possible) I _will not_
It might be easier if you reply to send e-mail to me in addition to
posting. This group gets so much, I only get to read it when I've got
enough time, and that's not very often. Thanks in advance.

		 			jess
			   koeppel@porthos.rutgers.edu
			   or any rutgers UNIX machine

tiger@agora.UUCP (Kelly Baxter) (03/04/89)

Does anybody out there know of the best dealers that sell Amigas?
| tiger (Kelly Baxter)                  | CompuServe: 74775,1545              |
| tiger@agora.hf.intel.COM              |                                     |
| ..!tektronix!tessi!agora!tiger        | Portland, OR                        |
|             "Practice safe computing.  Wear a write-protect tab."           |

griff@intelob.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (03/08/89)

In article <1394@agora.UUCP> tiger@agora.UUCP (Kelly Baxter) writes:

 >Does anybody out there know of the best dealers that sell Amigas?
 >| tiger (Kelly Baxter)                  | CompuServe: 74775,1545             |
 >| tiger@agora.hf.intel.COM              |                                    |
 >| ..!tektronix!tessi!agora!tiger        | Portland, OR                       |
 >|             "Practice safe computing.  Wear a write-protect tab."          |

 Tiger -

   If someone hasn't already told you:

      It depends on what you're after.  Computron has great prices, but
 questionable marketing and equipment, and poor customer support.  Clackamas
 Computers has slightly higher prices, but far better equipment, marketing
 policies, and support.  (I bought mine there :-), say hi to Larry :-)  They
 have a shop in Beaverton...

			       - griff

* Richard E. Griffith      * "...The game never ends when your whole     *
*    "griff"		   *  world depends on the turn of a friendly    *
* BiiN, Hillsboro Ore.	   *  card."    - Alan Parsons                   *
* ARPA: <@intel-iwarp.arpa:griff@intelob>                                *
* UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!griff                                 *
* These opinions are mine only, `cuz nobody'd pay for drivel like this!  *

* Richard E. Griffith      * "...The game never ends when your whole     *
*    "griff"		   *  world depends on the turn of a friendly    *
* BiiN, Hillsboro Ore.	   *  card."    - Alan Parsons                   *
* ARPA: <@intel-iwarp.arpa:griff@intelob>                                *
* UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!griff                                 *
* These opinions are mine only, `cuz nobody'd pay for drivel like this!  *

wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) (11/06/89)

moved to Sunnyvale, CA (just in time for the earthquake, thank you very
much), and was ready to buy an Amiga.  He found a dealer just 5 minutes
from his home, bought an A500 and peripherals, and was given 10 free disks
of demo and PD software.  A week or two later, he received a phone call
from the dealer asking him whether he had any questions about his new
computer and just generally checking to be sure that everything was ok.
Now *THAT'S* what I call good dealer support!

Wally

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (11/06/89)

In article <210@pallas.UUCP> wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) writes:
[something was missing from the original article here...]
>moved to Sunnyvale, CA (just in time for the earthquake, thank you very
>much), and was ready to buy an Amiga.  He found a dealer just 5 minutes
>from his home, bought an A500 and peripherals, and was given 10 free disks
>of demo and PD software.  A week or two later, he received a phone call
>from the dealer asking him whether he had any questions about his new
>computer and just generally checking to be sure that everything was ok.
>Now *THAT'S* what I call good dealer support!

Sounds like HT Electronics in Sunnyvale.  There are definitely GREAT
dealerships out there; unfortunately, they're the exception not the rule.
I will vouch for HT and for Winners Circle Systems in Berkeley (GREAT for
the technically oriented; a bit brusque and always JAM PACKED in their tiny
shop, perhaps not great for non-computerphiles).  Anyone else have any
strong positive stories about dealers?  It seems to me that one of the best
things we can do for the machine is to support good dealers...

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (11/07/89)

Stuff deleted for sake of viewers.

>Sounds like HT Electronics in Sunnyvale.  There are definitely GREAT
>dealerships out there; unfortunately, they're the exception not the rule.
>I will vouch for HT and for Winners Circle Systems in Berkeley (GREAT for
>the technically oriented; a bit brusque and always JAM PACKED in their tiny
>shop, perhaps not great for non-computerphiles).  Anyone else have any
>strong positive stories about dealers?  It seems to me that one of the best
>things we can do for the machine is to support good dealers...

    Here in Anchorage, Alaska we have a very good dealer.  They are Best
Electronics.  They mostly sell software(Lots of it).  They are very
knowledgable, friendly, and they really love the Amiga.  It is a family run
operation but it is run really well.  There enthusiasm for the machine is
unbelievable and there support of the machine is fantastic.  They also
are very eager to please there customers.  Having owned an ST for for many
years and having to deal with the Atari store here, I am very happy I
switched to the Amy.  Best Electronics is by far the best Amiga dealer
in Alaska.  (We don't have many commodoore stores here)

dickp@sequoia.UUCP (Dick Parshall) (11/10/89)

In article <643@milton.acs.washington.edu> axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:

>>Sounds like HT Electronics in Sunnyvale.  There are definitely GREAT
>>dealerships out there; unfortunately, they're the exception not the rule.
>>strong positive stories about dealers?  It seems to me that one of the best
>>things we can do for the machine is to support good dealers...
>>
>    Here in Anchorage, Alaska we have a very good dealer.  They are Best
>Electronics.  They mostly sell software(Lots of it).  They are very
>knowledgable, friendly, and they really love the Amiga.  It is a family run

For those people out in the "boondocks", mail-order may in fact be the only
way to purchase hardware, but why does that automatically mean going to a
discount mail-order house selling unwarranteed grey market machines?  How
about calling one of these really great dealers we occasionally hear about.
Seems like a purchase could be arranged over the phone with them, even though
they don't have a catalog or an ad in AmigaWhirled every month.  Granted, the
price would be higher, but you'd be supporting a quality dealer, and would
have a place to a) send-it/take-it for warranty work, and b) call for technical
help.  Anybody try this?

Dick Parshall                         |      ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!dickp
Execucom Systems Corporation          |        execu!dickp@cs.utexas.edu
Austin, Texas                         |      dickp%execu.uucp@cs.utexas.edu
All comments are garbage.                                     Pay no attention.