[comp.sys.amiga] Formatting 3.5" Floppies

jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (11/09/89)

"Robin D. Wilson/1000000" <robin@sabre.uucp> writes:

> mark.ji@canremote.uucp (MARK JI) writes:
> >Something is distinctly wrong with my A500.. Whenever i try to format a
> >new disk, the format procedure always starts up, when after formatting
> >the first track and trying to validate it, the computer tells me that
> >the disk is unreadable.. I know that the disks are not bad, they are
> >
> >Mark

> I agree!  I have the same problem.  When I try the format command from the
> Shell I get exactly the same problem.  I don't have the amigados manual, but
> from the 1.3 Enhancements book that came with my A500 it looks like I am
> typing the right command.  So far I haven't tried the "initialize" option
> from the workbench, but I would still like to know how its done from
> the Shell.

Try this at the shell (or CLI) prompt:

   FORMAT DRIVE DF1: NAME EMPTY
     |      |    |    |    |
     |      |    |    |     \ Volume Name. You may cahage this.
     |      |    |     \ Keyword. Must be NAME.
     |      |     \ May be DF0: or DF1: or DF2: or DF3:
     |       \ Keyword. Must be DRIVE.
      \ Command. You MUST have a file named FORMAT in either your
        current directory or in the directory assigned to C:, or
        in another directory that is included in your search path.

You may follow this with the keyword NOICONS if you do not need to use
the disk with workbench. (i.e.  You don't need a trashcan and you won't
be booting from this disk.)

You may follow this with the keyword QUICK if the disk is a valid,
previously formatted AmigaDos disk and you just want to "erase" it.

zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) (11/10/89)

In article <3730@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>"Robin D. Wilson/1000000" <robin@sabre.uucp> writes:

>> >Something is distinctly wrong with my A500.. Whenever i try to format a
>> >new disk, the format procedure always starts up, when after formatting
>> >the first track and trying to validate it, the computer tells me that
>> >the disk is unreadable..
>> >Mark

I had exactly the same problem for a while, but then I ran my software
on a different machine and had the SAME problem. This caused me to be somewhat
suspicious.

Here's a hint:  Pick up VIRUSx.  Run it, on EVERYTHING.

Then come back and tell everyone your results.
Personally, elimination of the byte bandit virus cleared up all my formatting
problems.
I know this program is available from anon. FTP, but I'm not sure of the
source.

--
|      Sean T. Lamont          |                                         |
|University of Washington      |  "Always be sincere, whether you        |

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (11/10/89)

In article <3730@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>> mark.ji@canremote.uucp (MARK JI) writes:
>> >new disk, the format procedure always starts up, when after formatting
>> >the first track and trying to validate it, the computer tells me that
>> I agree!  I have the same problem.  When I try the format command from the
>
>   FORMAT DRIVE DF1: NAME EMPTY

This is the command that I was using.  I should also add that I have now tried
it from the workbench, and it does work fine??!!  The actual problem I have
(after re-reading the orginal post [see above]) is a little different than
Mark's problem.  The format begins, and goes formating.. vering.. etc. all
the way through to about track 7x.  Somewhere in the seventies it usually dies
with a bad sector message.  The same disk then works fine for a diskcopy, or
"Initialze" from the workbench.  (These are Kodak DSDD diskette, and I assume
they are OK, because they work fine aside from the funny format probs.)

Oh, I almost forgot - the sector that the disks die on varies from one try
to another, and from one disk to another (ie.  the same disk will die on
different tracks on successive tries to format.)

Thanks for the help, in advance.  (If you want to e-mail me, I think I have
the address correct down below -- don't use the Reply-To: line because it will
likely be mucked-up.)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmaus!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                                                          |

In article <658@milton.acs.washington.edu> zeno@milton.acs.washington.edu (Sean Lamont) writes:
>Then come back and tell everyone your results.
>Personally, elimination of the byte bandit virus cleared up all my formatting
>problems.

I really doubt this is my problem.  At the time I first experienced the problem
I had only 4 diskettes of software: Workbench 1.3.2, Extras 1.3.2, Falcon 1.0
Disk 1, and Falcon 1.0 Disk2 (Falcon WAS PURCHASED brand new).  Since then I
have added several fish disks, but other than that, my collection is virgin.
So unless C= is shipping teh virus with their software, or Spectrum Holobyte
with theirs, this is not a virus related problem.