[comp.sys.amiga] Hardframe Format Problem

MHALL@ducvax.auburn.edu (MARK HALL) (10/27/89)

	I am having trouble formatting a hard drive mounted on a
Microbotics Hardframe.  The drive is a Seagate 157N.  The problem
is as follows:  every time I try to do a low-level format, or try
to define partitions, the Microbotics installation software tells
me that the Hardframe.driver is not in memory, and that I must
run Binddrivers before I can use the configuration software.
When I run Binddrivers, the DF0: drive lamp and the DH0: drive
lamp come on, and the machine locks up.
	My system is configured as described in the Hardframe
directions.  The Hardframe is NOT configured for Auto-boot.  The
Hardframe device driver and associated icon are stored in the
Expansion drawer of the boot diskette.  The cables (power and
data) are correctly connected.  The power for the disk comes form
the Amiga power supply, and not the power jumper on the
Hardframe.  I am also running the Microbotics 8-Up board w/2 Meg.
The Amiga has 1.3 Roms, a 1 Meg Agnus, and a version 6.2
motherboard.  The Hardframe is autoconfiguring, but this feature
may be over-ridden.
  	So far, I have tried removing the 8-Up board and re-booting,
swapping slots for the Hardframe and re-booting, and re-booting
followed by manually mounting the device and then running
Binddrivers, only to achieve the same results.
	I suspect a bad or missing piece of software, but I'm open
to suggestions.  Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

Mark Hall                        Bitnet:  MHALL@AUDUCVAX.BITNET
144 Parker Hall                Internet:  MHALL@AUBURN.DUCVAX.EDU
Auburn University, AL  36849      Phone:  (205) 844-4512

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (10/28/89)

In article <2666@nigel.udel.EDU> MHALL@ducvax.auburn.edu (MARK HALL) writes:

>	I am having trouble formatting a hard drive mounted on a
>Microbotics Hardframe.

>The Amiga has 1.3 Roms, a 1 Meg Agnus, and a version 6.2
>motherboard.                                         ^^^

>Mark Hall                        Bitnet:  MHALL@AUDUCVAX.BITNET

There was a lot of traffic about this when the rev 6.x mother boards started
shipping.  Hardframes simply refused to work with the new motherboards, and
both Commodore and Microbotics were looking into the problem.  I believe
that the troublemaker was identified as the MC68000!  It was not a Motorola
made chip, but something made by another company (under licence?), and was
somehow incompatible.  I do not know what fix was suggested, although
replacing the 68000 seems to be a reasonable suggestion.  Hopefully other
heads more knowledgeable about the problem can verify (or discredit) this.

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

rps2@conexch.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (10/31/89)

In article <2666@nigel.udel.EDU> MHALL@ducvax.auburn.edu (MARK HALL) writes:

>	I am having trouble formatting a hard drive mounted on a
>Microbotics Hardframe.  The drive is a Seagate 157N.  The problem
>is as follows:  every time I try to do a low-level format, or try
>to define partitions, the Microbotics installation software tells
>me that the Hardframe.driver is not in memory, and that I must
>run Binddrivers before I can use the configuration software.
>When I run Binddrivers, the DF0: drive lamp and the DH0: drive
>lamp come on, and the machine locks up.

[other things deleted]

There are problems with some rev 6.x motherboards and some DMA devices
out there. As to what the actual problems are, I don't know, but it is
a known condition.

--
| "A day without sunshine is like...night!"              |
|  [O O] Rick Stevens                                    |

lar@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Lane Robert) (11/03/89)

In article <2670@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> cdouty@jarthur.UUCP (Christopher Douty) writes:
>In article <2666@nigel.udel.EDU> MHALL@ducvax.auburn.edu (MARK HALL) writes:
>
>>	I am having trouble formatting a hard drive mounted on a
>>Microbotics Hardframe.
>
>>The Amiga has 1.3 Roms, a 1 Meg Agnus, and a version 6.2
>>motherboard.                                         ^^^
>
>>Mark Hall                        Bitnet:  MHALL@AUDUCVAX.BITNET
>
>There was a lot of traffic about this when the rev 6.x mother boards started
>shipping.  Hardframes simply refused to work with the new motherboards, and
>both Commodore and Microbotics were looking into the problem.  I believe
>that the troublemaker was identified as the MC68000!  It was not a Motorola
>made chip, but something made by another company (under licence?), and was
>somehow incompatible.

>				Christopher Douty
>			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

I am currently having the same problem with a HardFrame and ST296N on
a rev. 4.5 motherboard.  The 68000 does not have the Motorola logo
on it, so I am wondering if this could be my problem.  The part number
is SCN68000C8N64 and the company logo is a large square S.  Anyone
have any idea if this could be the guilty party?  Please enlighten
me while I still have some hair left! :-)  Also, does anyone have any
experience with the HardFrame in a 68010 equipped Amiga?  I've been
considering the upgrade for a while, and this just may give me the
excuse.

Any other ideas would of course be welcome.

Thanx in advance,
Lane

lar@usl.edu	...!uunet!dalsqnt!usl!lar	...!texbell!rouge!lar

cogswell@egrunix.UUCP (Dan Cogswell) (11/07/89)

In article <9994@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> lar@usl.edu (Lane Robert) writes:
>I am currently having the same problem with a HardFrame and ST296N on
>a rev. 4.5 motherboard.  The 68000 does not have the Motorola logo
>on it, so I am wondering if this could be my problem.  The part number
>is SCN68000C8N64 and the company logo is a large square S.  Anyone
>have any idea if this could be the guilty party?  Please enlighten
>me while I still have some hair left! :-)  Also, does anyone have any
>experience with the HardFrame in a 68010 equipped Amiga?  I've been
>considering the upgrade for a while, and this just may give me the
>excuse.
>
>Any other ideas would of course be welcome.
>
>Thanx in advance,
>Lane
>
>lar@usl.edu	...!uunet!dalsqnt!usl!lar	...!texbell!rouge!lar

I've had a 2000 w/6.0 motherboard for about four months now and it's
worked absolutley flawlessly with my HardFrame/ST138N and 8-UP! (2 megs,
100 ns parts, if that matters..).  The caveat:  I replaced the Motorola (!)
68000 with a 10 MHz Motorola 68010 (ceramic, if that matters... :).  I've
been very pleased with the machine considering all the problems I had with
my 500 when I had it!

BTW, I think that part you mention is made by SGS-Thomson, but don't quote
me on that.