[comp.sys.amiga] New vlt user

estes@iris.ucdavis.edu (Robert Estes) (11/10/89)

I have been using the vt100 program for some time and have just recently
needed to do tek graphics, and , therefore, have downloaded the new version
of vlt.

I downloaded the manual last evening from xanth, scanned it, and was not
able to resolve my questions.

I've got vlt running, but not fully.

1. I get numerous rexx messages on the screen and wish to eliminate them since
   I don't have rexx (and probably don't need it, or do I?). I saw somewhere
   a posting of where I can get arexx (How much is it?).

2. Also, it is suggested that I get WBench in the vlt docs, what is it?

3. When trying to open a tek window, I get an error.  Maybe I don't have
   enough memory...

4. So, I tried to change my default screen to the workbench screen (less
   colors --> less memory?).  Then, I got a font error.  I may be able to
   resolve this one with the help of the documentation I got last night.
   I also just installed version 1.3 of the op. system, and remember reading
   something about fast-fonts.  Is my font problem related to FF, or to not
   having the fonts supplied with the ftp version copied in the right
   location???

I think that is it....Sorry for all the questions, but vlt looks like a good
program, and I would like to get the most out of it.

Thanks for the help......Robert Estes

aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (11/10/89)

In article <5882@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> estes@iris.ucdavis.edu (Robert Estes) writes:

>I have been using the vt100 program for some time and have just recently
>needed to do tek graphics, and , therefore, have downloaded the new version
>of vlt.

[ list of problems deleted ]

You must have vlt's fonts in your FONTS: directory. Either copy them
to your WB disk, or 'assign FONTS: Vlt:fonts'.

Same for the S: directory and the libs: directory. Vlt needs to find
its defaults in the S: directory, and its libraries in the LIBS: directory.

If you have Vlt on a separate disk, before you start it make sure you
type something like this: (the Vlt's disk name being VLT)

   assign FONTS: Vlt:Fonts   (for the 3 vlt fonts)
   assign LIBS:  Vlt:Libs    (for libraries (review.library, arp.library, etc))
   assign S: Vlt:s           (for config files)
   assign REXX: Vlt:rexx     (for macros)

Then configure your system and save the configuration.

                                                     aliu@nunki.usc.edu
                                                       Forwarded (MD)

PS. Thanks to all who helped with the availability of 'find' for the amiga.

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/11/89)

aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:

>PS. Thanks to all who helped with the availability of 'find' for the amiga.

You know, I have two versions of a find for Amiga neither of which I can get
to pipe an appropriate standard input to zoo (zoo aI foo.zoo) as with UNIX
find or Metaware's find for the PC which allows full subdirectory zooing.

Any suggestions?

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato