[comp.sys.amiga] Is there LIFE out there?

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (10/31/89)

Is there anyone out there that can email me a FAST version of Conway's
LIFE program?  Iv'e never seen it on the Amiga, and my homemade c-128
version, well, just won't cut it.  Also, has anyone heard of a "gravity
simulator?"  It animates celestial bodies according to their gravitational
interactions.  (There was an article in Scientific American a few years
back)
    I'd be much obliged!!
				Jason Nyberg

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (11/06/89)

In article <1989Oct30.193813.4661@uunet!unhd>, jwn770@uunet!unhd (Jason W Nyberg) writes:
> Is there anyone out there that can email me a FAST version of Conway's
> LIFE program?  Iv'e never seen it on the Amiga, and my homemade c-128
> version, well, just won't cut it.  Also, has anyone heard of a "gravity
> simulator?"  It animates celestial bodies according to their gravitational
> interactions.  (There was an article in Scientific American a few years
> back)

There's a disk called Gizmoz with a whole load of utilities on it including a
pretty good version of Life (320 x 200, about 17Hz), sorry I can't email the
Life program but it's not PD.

Gravity simulator should be easy enough to program in C, I've a version of it
myself I've been meaning to finish for the last few months.

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin
rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (11/08/89)

In article <3343@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>In article <1989Oct30.193813.4661@uunet!unhd>, jwn770@uunet!unhd (Jason W Nyberg) writes:
>> Is there anyone out there that can email me a FAST version of Conway's
>> LIFE program?  Iv'e never seen it on the Amiga, and my homemade c-128
>There's a disk called Gizmoz with a whole load of utilities on it including a
>pretty good version of Life (320 x 200, about 17Hz), sorry I can't email the
>Gravity simulator should be easy enough to program in C, I've a version of it
There was a LIFE that used the blitter to get something like 19 generations
per second released a long time back. I forget who wrote it (Rokicki maybe?)
but it is on one or more of the fish disks (I would guess somewhere between
50 and 80). There was also a PD 3D LIFE that was slow, but interesting.
The gravity simulator has been done also. I recently downloaded it from BIX
(within the last 2 or 3 months). I don't know if it has made it to Fish disks
yet, but it is pretty good. You can put it into record mode and then play
back the interactions very quickly, optionally leave trails, etc. I seem
to recall it used pop-up menus to modify the mass and velocity of the
interacting bodies.

| James Gary, BA,MS,SWM | U. of Kentucky | jgary@ms.uky.edu |

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (11/08/89)

In article <3343@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>> version, well, just won't cut it.  Also, has anyone heard of a "gravity
>> simulator?"  It animates celestial bodies according to their gravitational
>> interactions.  (There was an article in Scientific American a few years
>> back)

   Yes, there is already a gravity simulator around.  I believe it was
   distributed via one of the amiga binary groups.  The program also
   resides (in zoo'ed form) on Amiga Lore BBS here in Tallahassee.
   Dial 904-561-6708 at 1200 or 2400 baud.  If you catch the SysOp
   while he's there, he'll verify you immediately.  By the way, use of
   the BBS is free--you're only paying for long-distance charges.
   It works really well, except when two planets get closer than kissing
   close.  Gravity goes infinite and one planet will zoom through the other
   at ludicrous speeds.  Except for this case, though, everything is very
   well behaved.  C source is also included.
   ---Prem Subrahmanyam (prem@geomag.gly.fsu.edu)

There is also around an implementation of Life that I did as part of a
giant Intuition example program. The binary is/was freely distributable
and the source was licensable. That got to be too much of a bother so
I've reverted to a flat $25.00 fee for the source (which is well commented)
but don't bother with the commentary on Intuition programming.

The only interesting features of my version were that various life forms
could be saved and restored, and the rules could be dynamically altered
for 1 or 2 species lifeforms. One species could act as "feeders" on the
others, and various other modes could be designed.

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (11/08/89)

	Fish Disk 131 contains Tom Rokicki's very fast LIFE program,
complete with a macro language for designing your own opening
configurations of cells.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

bradch@microsoft.UUCP (Bradford Christian ms1) (11/11/89)

I have a life game that supports a 65536x65536 universe.  The calculation
speed is dependant on the complexity of the object.  With a single tumbler
on the universe, I found that I had to add a slow down command because it
was calculating so fast that it appeared to move real slow (>60 generations
per second).  Cells may be 1x1, 2x2, 4x4, or 8x8 pixels and only hires/
interlace/1-plane is supported.  Life forms may be saved to in files, but
the user interface here really sucks.  Other than that, though, it makes a
good demo (if your audiance can appreciate Life)!

As usual with my programs, anyone who mails me can have a copy, but not
the source.

					 ***
		   This has nothing	* | * "It's not just a sign,
	BradCh	      to do with	*/|\*    it's a way of life."
		      Microsoft.	 ***