[comp.sys.amiga] Software Shop

northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) (11/13/89)

In article <7010@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux)
>In article <936700002@cdp> mhershede@cdp.UUCP writes:
>>I got a Plug 'n' Print for my Okimate 20 from the Software Shop and had a
>>lot of trouble doing it. It took 5-6 weeks witrh a credit card
>
>This wouldn't happen to be the Software Shop in Worcester, MA, would it?  When
>I had been to this store before.  For all that they boast, it's a hole in the
>wall in the basement of a run down mall in the middle of a run down section
>of Worcester.  The guy I talked to is the manager/owner (at least he has a

I live just a five minute walk from the Software Shop here in Worcester
(yes, just 5 minutes from one of the many run down sections of this town;
pitty me, or better yet, offer me a job).

Anyway, if I'm downtown shopping or something, I often stop in at the
Software Shop, so I go there enough to know the place pretty well, and
to be recognized by the people who work there.

The only reason I would ever buy anything there is because it is just five
minutes away.  Other than that, there's not much to commend it.  It is in
a run-down section of town, in a run-down old mall that they stopped
renovating half-way through the job, years ago.  Their "showroom" looks
more like a sleazy warehouse.

The guy who runs the place has never been too terribly honest with me
either.  I went in just last week looking for Power Windows.  "Oh yeah,
we have that."  "Great, can I have a copy?"  "Uh....let me make check
and make sure we have a copy.....no we don't have a copy."  "When will
you have a copy?"  "Uh...Wednesday."  Of course, that was nearly two
weeks ago now; two Wednesdays have passed, I've stopped in three times,
and they still don't have it.  I don't mind them being out of stock, I
do mind unrealistic answers to my queries.

I get the impression that the guy has no compunction about saying whatever
it is he thinks you want to hear.  Even with this place within easy
_walking_ distance I'm always so tempted just to mail order from someplace
more reliable.

In fairness, I'll list its good points.  The prices are good, they do have
a large inventory.  The guy who runs the place lacks personality, but
he does know what he's talking about.  He has about 3 Amigas set up in the
place, and he's usually messing around with one of them, digitizing or
trying out new hardware or something.  He has two young guys who work for
him sometimes who aren't nearly as knowledgeable, but a lot more reliable.
The young guys do check the inventory before promising you software, and
they're a heck of a lot friendlier.  The older guy isn't very friendly at
all, even when he recognizes you as a repeat customer.  Actually, I'm
amazed that they stay in business.

Hope this helps those of you considering mail-order shopping.  Note that
I'm in no way associated with anybody of interest, etc.; usual disclaimers,
etc.