[comp.sys.amiga] BallBlazer

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (12/27/88)

In article <19933@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>Actuall Ball Blazer was done for the Amiga, and was demostrated at
>BAADG early this year. I don't remember what the story was, but what we saw
>was an early version, hacked together in about a month.
>I belive that it was done in an attempt to pitch it to Lucas.Films.

	Third-hand information follows:

	BallBlazer was indeed written, at least to a proof-of-concept stage,
and was presented to LucasFilm Games.  LFL Games didn't want to deal with
it (they are the source of the "Rounded to the nearest million..." quote).
However, they did demand a hefty chunk of change for the rights to use the
name BallBlazer.  The authors felt it was too exhorbitant, and the project
came to a halt.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (11/13/89)

In Message-ID: <1989Nov1.161434.9922@gdt.bath.ac.uk> > J I L Gold <mapjilg@gdr.
bath.ac.uk> said:

>Many moons ago I played a fantastic (2-player) game on the old Atari
>(whoops dirty word!) 800, a distant relation of Ami. The game was
>called BallBlaster and involved the players chasing a ball over a
>3d checkerboard surface, catching it and attempting to get it in a goal.

 Sounds like you are refering to BallBLAZER.  It, and Rescue on Fractalus were
developed by (I beleive) LucusGames and eventualy marketed by Epex.  I don't
know how much of the marketing rights Epex owns.  Hopefully, not too much or
we may never see these games on the Amiga.  T'would be a shame too.  Rescue on
Fractalus expecially would benefit from the greater horsepower and better
graphics of the Amiga.

Bitnet:    C506634@umcvmb.bitnet                    __________________________
Internet:  C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu             / \.--------.           /  \
"The Amiga just isn't reliable enough unless you   |  | Eric   |---------+    |