[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with STEVIE

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) (11/11/89)

I was working on a text file earlier, when Stevie suddenly bombed
out with the message: "alloc () - not enough chip memory - should
never happen".
Cute. The file in question was around 480 lines - not enough to
eat up the 1 Meg in my stock 2000. I wasn't running anything
else, although I HAD had the Bridgecard up earlier (which I
closed down). Any ideas?

grj@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Gary Jenkins) (11/13/89)

In article <5690@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
>I was working on a text file earlier, when Stevie suddenly bombed
>out with the message: "alloc () - not enough chip memory - should
>never happen".
>Cute. The file in question was around 480 lines - not enough to
>eat up the 1 Meg in my stock 2000. I wasn't running anything
>else, although I HAD had the Bridgecard up earlier (which I
>closed down). Any ideas?

I haven't seen this particular Stevie bug, but I continually get bitten
by another one that everyone should be aware of.  While editing a file, try
writing out a range of lines through colon mode, i.e.

:46,52w somename

Be VERY careful when you leave Stevie.  If you simply do a ZZ, Stevie
will incorrectly assume that your previous write was to the original file
and thus had already saved any changes you had made, so when you do
a ZZ, Stevie will just quit, not write then quit.   Stevie should check
for the filename when you write a file allowing it to know when changes
have really been saved.  I can't count the number to times I have made
drastic changes to a file, wrote out a subsection so it could be included
by another file, then simply ZZ'd out of Stevie.  I was not amused by the
discarding of my changes.

I'm using version 3.35A.  I know there is a newer version out, but it didn't
seem to have this bug fixed, and introduced a new bug with the setlist
and setnumber commands, so I never used it.

grwalter@watfun.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (11/13/89)

>>From: doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy)
>I was working on a text file earlier, when Stevie suddenly bombed
>out with the message: "alloc () - not enough chip memory - should
>never happen".

Try using the latest version (3.7a); the memory allocation routines were
re-written somewhat to make them more robust.

>Cute. The file in question was around 480 lines - not enough to
>eat up the 1 Meg in my stock 2000. I wasn't running anything
>else, although I HAD had the Bridgecard up earlier (which I
>closed down). Any ideas?

Something had badly fragged chip mem on you.

	fred
grwalter@watmath.uwaterloo.ca                  (Canadian domain)
grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu                  (US Internet, including CSNET)
grwalter@watmath.waterloo.cdn                  (CDNnet and some European nets)
watmath!grwalter                               (UUCP)