[comp.sys.amiga] Music notation software?

weissman@decwrl.dec.com (10/31/89)

I want to buy a computer to use with my MIDI keyboard.  I have two
purposes in mind: sequencing, and making printed scores.

I desperately want to buy an Amiga, since I think it's the best
hardware out there.  There seem to be several good sequencers
available.  What worries me is the lack of notation software.

As near as I can tell, the only notation software available is Dr. T's
Copyist.  I played with it some at the dealer's, and came away
horrified.  The user interface seems horridly baroque.  You may be
able to make beautiful looking scores with it, but it seems like it
would be far too much work.

What I really want is a program that will let me enter notes from MIDI
(either directly or by importing from a sequencer), and that will also
let me *easily* enter notes using the mouse/keyboard.  It should take
care of the horizontal placement of notes and symbols by itself, and
do a reasonable job.  (The last requirement eliminates DMCS.)  I
should be able to tweak the placement of things somewhat (since the
computer isn't always going to get it right), but I don't think I need
the extreme amount of control that Copyist gives.

This isn't a pipe dream.  I've used Professional Composer for the Mac,
and it does all this.  It's far from perfect, but it's good enough for
me.  The thing is, though, that I don't want a Mac.  I want an Amiga.

Can someone please convince me that there is Amiga software to do what
I want?  Either tell me why the Copyist isn't so bad, or inform me of
some software that I don't know about.

Thanks,
Terry Weissman			weissman@wsl.dec.com

P.S.  I hear vague rumors that Passport Systems will be porting their
Encore package to the Amiga.  Is this true?  Any idea when?  Is Encore
any good?  Thanks...

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) (10/31/89)

In article <8910301728.AA27683@gilroy.pa.dec.com> Terry Weissman
 (weissman@wsl.dec.com) writes:
>I want to buy a computer to use with my MIDI keyboard.  I have two
>purposes in mind: sequencing, and making printed scores...

>Can someone please convince me that there is Amiga software to do what
>I want?

There most certainly is!  A company called Blue Ribbon Bakery, here in Atlanta,
is just about to release their new program called "Bars and Pipes."  They
gave a demo at our October user group meeting, earlier this month, and blew
us all away (they wore bakers' hats and passed out cookies too).  This program
does everything! The company consists of a person who's very much an Amiga
programmer (he wrote another commercial program), and a person who's very
musical, who made sure that musicians would be happy with this program.

See the review and ad in the November AmigaWorld, pages 118-9.

David Carter		davidc@pyr.gatech.edu

consp13@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (10/31/89)

weissman@decwrl.dec.com writes:

> I want to buy a computer to use with my MIDI keyboard.  I have two
> purposes in mind: sequencing, and making printed scores.
>
> I desperately want to buy an Amiga, since I think it's the best
> hardware out there.  There seem to be several good sequencers
> available.  What worries me is the lack of notation software.
>
> As near as I can tell, the only notation software available is Dr. T's
> Copyist.  I played with it some at the dealer's, and came away
> horrified.  The user interface seems horridly baroque.  You may be
> able to make beautiful looking scores with it, but it seems like it
> would be far too much work.

	I, too, have need to produce professional-looking scores from MIDI
input, and I
can tell you to take another look at Dr. T's copyist professional,
because it really
has been the ultimate solution for me..

	You don't have to use Dr. T's copyist exclusively for the note entry. If you
also buy Dr. T's MRS (MIDI Recording Studio, $49, a scaled-down version
of KCS), it will
read in anything played on the MIDI keyboard, and then you can port the
information to
Copyist Professional, and print it from there. The results, I've found,
are incredible.

	Give it a try: $150 for Copyist Pro, and $49 for MRS.

	You'll be very happy. I am.

				\marc

weissman@gnome9.pa.dec.com (Terry Weissman) (10/31/89)

In article <9496@pyr.gatech.EDU>, davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) writes:
> There most certainly is!  A company called Blue Ribbon Bakery, here in
> Atlanta, is just about to release their new program called "Bars and
Pipes."  > 	...
> See the review and ad in the November AmigaWorld, pages 118-9.

Thanks for the tip!  I just dashed out and bought the November
AmigaWorld and read the review and ad.  It looks like a wonderful
sequencer, with lots of innovative features and ideas that I haven't
seen before.  However, it doesn't seem to have too much in the way of
making printed scores.  I called them and they confirmed this; there is
some ability to view your stuff in standard music notation form, but no
real printing capability.  They claimed, though, that their package made
a better front-end to the Copyist than other sequencers, since their
internal model is more musical and thus they save more useful
information out to the standard Midi files.  Who knows; it may even be true...

Anyway, they're sending me brochures with lots more information; I'll
try to remember to give a summary when I get it.  I also have pricing
and availability information:

- Starts shipping in three weeks (I never know whether to believe this
kind of cliam).

- Price is $299; there will be a 30-day introductory price of $235.

- They say that in the material that they'll be sending will be a coupon
good for a free demo version.  (The demo won't be able to load or save files.)

For more info, you can contact them at:

Blue Ribbon Bakery
1248 Clairmont Road, Suite 3D
Atlanta, Georgia 30030
(404) 377-1514

If you've actually seen a demo of Bars&Pipes, I'd love to hear what kind
of abilities you saw that related to the printing of musical scores.

- Terry Weissman		weissman@wsl.dec.com

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (10/31/89)

In article <9496@pyr.gatech.EDU> davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) writes:
>There most certainly is!  A company called Blue Ribbon Bakery, here in Atlanta,
>is just about to release their new program called "Bars and Pipes."
>[...]  The company consists of a person who's very much an Amiga
>programmer (he wrote another commercial program), and a person who's very
>musical, who made sure that musicians would be happy with this program.

I believe the "Amiga programmer" in question is Todor Fay, who wrote
Soundscape for Mimetics.  I though Soundscape had a lot of potential,
but never really lived up to it.  Bars and Pipes might be good, or it
might not, but I intend to approach it with a certain amount of caution
(even more than usual).  If the "musical person" did her job right,
then it could be a really nice program, but Todor by himself doesn't
seem to be too great on user interface design or quality control.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (DAVID CARTER) (10/31/89)

In article <9180@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(Daniel S. Riley) writes:
>I believe the "Amiga programmer" in question is Todor Fay, who wrote
>Soundscape for Mimetics.

I purposely did not mention Todor or Soundscape for fear that it might cause
some bias.  So that I am not putting words in his mouth, let me say that it
was my impression that even he was not pleased with how Soundscape turned out.
When talking to people, he repeatedly asked them not to talk about
"Sound******".

>If the "musical person" did her job right, then it could be a really nice
>program

Melissa Gray (the "musical person") did.  And I think Todor has become much
better at user interfaces too.  In any case, you'll have the opportunity to
try the demo version first before you buy.

After the demo, several people (who are into music and own or have used
various other music programs) wanted to place their orders on the spot.

A comment heard from people sitting next to me in middle of the auditorium --
"this blows Dr. T's away."

David Carter		davidc@pyr.gatech.edu

lamb@thumper.bellcore.com (John W. Lamb) (11/01/89)

In article <8910301728.AA27683@gilroy.pa.dec.com>, weissman@decwrl.dec.com writes:
> As near as I can tell, the only notation software available is Dr. T's
> Copyist.  I played with it some at the dealer's, and came away
> horrified.  The user interface seems horridly baroque.  You may be
> able to make beautiful looking scores with it, but it seems like it
> would be far too much work.
>
> What I really want is a program that will let me enter notes from MIDI
> (either directly or by importing from a sequencer), and that will also
> let me *easily* enter notes using the mouse/keyboard.  It should take
> care of the horizontal placement of notes and symbols by itself, and
> do a reasonable job.  (The last requirement eliminates DMCS.)  I
> should be able to tweak the placement of things somewhat (since the
> computer isn't always going to get it right), but I don't think I need
> the extreme amount of control that Copyist gives.

If you are willing to buy both DMCS and The Copyist, you can enter
the score in DMCS, import it into The Copyist, tweak as needed and
then print with good results.  Since I often arrange things at the
(computer) keyboard, I can use DMCS to play the music until I am
satisfied with it and then use The Copyist to get a nice printout.

Actually, the interface in The Copyist is not all that bad once you
have memorized the keyboard equivalents for the commands you use most
often.  I don't have a MIDI compatible instrument, so I can't comment
on entering notes that way.

No matter how you do it, producing good looking sheet music is a
lot of work.  After using both programs separately and together
many times, it still takes me 1 or 2 hours per page to get
something I'm happy with.

bchivers@smiley.uucp (Brent Chivers) (11/09/89)

In article <1766@thumper.bellcore.com> lamb@thumper.bellcore.com (John W. Lamb) writes:
>If you are willing to buy both DMCS and The Copyist, you can enter
>the score in DMCS, import it into The Copyist, tweak as needed and
>then print with good results.
>
>I don't have a MIDI compatible instrument, so I can't comment
>on entering notes that way.

Using a MIDI keyboard with DMCS is an adequate, but not good, way
to enter music.  I haven't found anything better yet.  It is far
faster than using the mouse.  The main headache is that DMCS's
concept of keypress duration is non linear.  And adding ties to
notes is a nuisance.  There should be some command (with keyboard
equiv) to add ties backwards from the active (last-entered) note.
This would be less of a problem if DMCS could count time past the
end of a measure -- to continue and automatically tie the notes,
instead of making you enter 2 (or more) separate notes.  And I
find that DMCS tends to crash more than one desires from a working
tool, especially if you're going fast and the score is large.

On the other hand, I've tried using several MIDI sequencers that
can save SMUS files, but their quantize functions have all done an
abysmal job of turning what I played into what I want to see.  You
may say that the problem is my style of playing, but I have reason
to believe that I am a competent musician, so if the software can't
understand me I've got no use for it.

	-----------------------+-----------------------------------
	Brent Chivers          |  bchivers%mwunix@gateway.mitre.org
	W154-Z646              |

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (11/13/89)

In article <1766@thumper.bellcore.com> lamb@thumper.bellcore.com (John W. Lamb) writes:

>If you are willing to buy both DMCS and The Copyist, you can enter
>the score in DMCS, import it into The Copyist, tweak as needed and
>
>No matter how you do it, producing good looking sheet music is a
>lot of work.  After using both programs separately and together
>many times, it still takes me 1 or 2 hours per page to get
>something I'm happy with.

I have just begun reading the AMiga newsgroup.
I have an ATARI 1040ST .. am considering the Amiga 3000 or the Atari TTx

Music:  I use NOTATOR for the Atari.  While The Copyist is also
available for the ATARI, i can't see spending 1-2 hours per page.
I did close to 300 pages one week for the Pacific Northwest ballet.
Notation and midi-event data are fully integrated.  No file conversion
or program switching is necessary.

I am reading this newsgroup to find out if anything like NOTATOR
even exists for the AMiga... as i am growing very interested in the
open architecture of the Amiga line and may in fact leave the ATARI world.

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/13/89)

:>
:
:I have just begun reading the AMiga newsgroup.
:I have an ATARI 1040ST .. am considering the Amiga 3000 or the Atari TTx
:
:Music:  I use NOTATOR for the Atari.  While The Copyist is also
:available for the ATARI, i can't see spending 1-2 hours per page.
:I did close to 300 pages one week for the Pacific Northwest ballet.
:Notation and midi-event data are fully integrated.  No file conversion
:or program switching is necessary.
:
:I am reading this newsgroup to find out if anything like NOTATOR
:even exists for the AMiga... as i am growing very interested in the
:open architecture of the Amiga line and may in fact leave the ATARI world.

Unfortunately there is nothing close to the power of Notator for the Amiga.
It really is a pitty because the Amiga could probably blow the Atari
version from the water.  Still, no one has really maxed the Amiga out in terms
of midi software or notation software.  Notator is a remarkable feet of
software engineering on an average to above average piece of hardware.
I do wish the Amiga software developers would not rely so heavily on
the Amiga's hardware magic and instead (in addition to) push their software
creativity to the limits, as was done with Notator.  I would give anything
to see C-Lab do Notator on the Amiga.  Sigh, What a dream.

(To those Amiga users who have never seen Notator by C-LAB, I HIGHLY recommend
you run down to the nearest Music dealer who knows the Atari and Notator and
watch it run.  You will be Amazed.  I wish some Amiga music-software developers
would look at it and get inspired!)
:-kevin
:ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

Joel Swan