[comp.sys.amiga] Another 1.4 request .

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/01/89)

With the advent of MFM.DEVICE, doesn't it sound like 1.4 should
include the same capabilities as the Mac's SuperDrive?  I got very
jealous listening to a radio commercial by Apple about how some
company can collate all their data from all their computers on the
"Mac With SuperDrive" when doing their presentations.

Will 1.4 be able to automatically detect a file system and switch
drivers?  I know that FFS will now read OFS disks (under 1.4) but is
that because it switches drivers or because it handles things as
special cases when there are differences?

If 1.4 can/could autoswitch, it would seem that automatically
detecting MS-DOS/ST disks, FFS, OFS, C-64, etc disks and reading them
would be a VERY big deal.  I *think* the Mac needs special software to
do it; being able to access those files in all the "usual" ways would
be great.

Best of all, this is something that's do-able; not a pipe dream.  (Of
course, everyone would have to update their drivers to support the new
Tscafd Standard... oh, did I mention that I named the standard after
myself :-) [Tom's Super Cool Auto Format Detection])

-Tom
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

THOMAS%HUJIDS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Thomas Shimko) (11/09/89)

Hello Folks !
      -----

Just one thing. Maybe it's allready 'In There' but just in case :
Please let the CLI open to Pal MoreRaws or whatever at startup. I have a
Pal computer and the CLI allways opens up in 640*200 mode, when I have 640*
256. It lookes funny to all my friends and I hate to resize it to the full
hight all the time.

             ****************************************         ///
             *  Decnet :     Hujids::Thomas         *        /// Ibm/Pc ?
             *  Bitnet :     Thomas@Hujids          * \\\   ///
             *  Hebrew University Jerusalem, Israel *  \\\ ///  Is that a
             *             Dental School            *   \\X//     Amiga
             ****************************************    \X/   compatible ?

P.S What happened to all those rumors of a program that would let Pal users
switch to NTSC resolution ?

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO Moderators) (11/13/89)

In article <3728@nigel.udel.EDU> THOMAS%HUJIDS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Thomas Shimko) writes:

>P.S What happened to all those rumors of a program that would let Pal users
>switch to NTSC resolution ?

Sorry to all who waited for a answer or a continuation of the discussions
I started about the 60 Hz Emulator and the SCSI stuff, but in the last
three month I could not access this UNIX system because I wasn't in Zurich.
Feel free to start the discussion again and ask everything about these things.

Current situation:

60 Hz Emulator: It works just great and my friend is going to release it.
We are now looking for a software company that will release the POWER UTILITY.
This is a bit difficult here in Switzerland because there are very few
companys that distribute utilities. If there are any companys on the Net
which are interested in distributing the POWER UTILITY please e-mail.

SCSI stuff: It works, but I have to remove some bugs we found out. I still
haven't had enough time to write something like PREP to write the boot
information on the HD after low-level formatting. This is a real problem,
because you loose the Interleave formatted with SCSIformat when you do
PREP. I will work on this as soon as I can. Probably I will release these
utilities very soon without something like PREP for advanced HD users.

/* Peter Simeon             |       //                             //     */
/* UUCP: ...visinfo@bernina |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */