[comp.sys.amiga] Question for owners of Populous

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (11/09/89)

Last night, a friend and I were at the local WaldenSoft (replaced WaldenKids
stores), and we asked the salesman if he could demo Populous.  "Sure, if it
will run on our system."  After finding that the system was an A500 with the
A501 expansion, my friend and I agreed that there should be no problem. BUT,
alas, there was a problem.  The game would not load past the title screen,
but GURUed with a "Not enough memory" error.  "Wow, must be a tight fit if it
won't run in approx. 910-920k at startup.  Let's try unplugging the external
drive."  Well, we did that since the drive would be eating a little CHIP RAM
and we got about 948k out of it at startup.  So we started the game and it
worked!  Or, did it?  Ok, here's my questions:

1. What system (or minimum system if you have tried it) do you/have you
   definitely gotten Populous to run on?  The system we used was A500+A501
   with only the internal drive (had to unplug the external).  Are there
   any people who have played Populous on a 1 meg A2000 with TWO internal
   drives?  The reason I ask is because that is my system and if I get this
   game, I want it to *run* (and I can't very well unplug my df1: !!)

2. Once we got the game running, it threw garbage on the screen sometimes and
   the garbage didn't go away.  Has anyone noticed *anything* like this?
   If this is a really cool game, that's one thing...BUT if this is a really
   cool game except for the occasional screen garbage, I don't want it.
   (FYI, the garbage looked kinda like random characters from a custom
    character set though I don't know what it really was.)

3. I know that Populous has problems with 68010, 68020, 68030 CPUs, but this
   couldn't be the problem because this A500 must have had a 68000.  (Oh sure,
   the WaldenSoft salesguy did say something about a special mod. he performed
   to put a '030 in it.  :-)  yeah, right.  gimme a break)

Well, that's it.  Reply via email if you can since we've already talked about
Poopulous here (no, that's not a typo :-).  Thanks for any help or advice.
I don't have this game, but I was *considering* getting it.

# Baird McIntosh  "Oh it doesn't seem like this Blue Sky's here for me..."   #
# INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

S6SR@unb.ca (Acker Hum) (11/13/89)

> Last night, a friend and I were at the local WaldenSoft (replaced WaldenKids
> stores), and we asked the salesman if he could demo Populous.  "Sure, if it
> will run on our system."  After finding that the system was an A500 with the
> A501 expansion, my friend and I agreed that there should be no problem. BUT,
> alas, there was a problem.  The game would not load past the title screen,
> but GURUed with a "Not enough memory" error.  "Wow, must be a tight fit if it
> won't run in approx. 910-920k at startup.  Let's try unplugging the external
> drive."  Well, we did that since the drive would be eating a little CHIP RAM
> and we got about 948k out of it at startup.  So we started the game and it
> worked!  Or, did it?  Ok, here's my questions:

HI, long time owner of Populous here... I have an A500 and A501 and an
external drive (ie. AirDrive)... I haven't had any problems with my
setup... And I don't need to un-plug anything so it must be something
else....

BITNET ONLY: A0NJ@UNB.CA

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (11/13/89)

In article <3930@nigel.udel.EDU> S6SR@unb.ca (Acker Hum) writes:
[Deleted problems running Populous]
<< alas, there was a problem.  The game would not load past the title screen,
<< but GURUed with a "Not enough memory" error.  "Wow, must be a tight fit if it
<< won't run in approx. 910-920k at startup.  Let's try unplugging the external
<< drive."  Well, we did that since the drive would be eating a little CHIP RAM
<< and we got about 948k out of it at startup.  So we started the game and it
<< worked!  Or, did it?  Ok, here's my questions:
<<
<HI, long time owner of Populous here... I have an A500 and A501 and an
<external drive (ie. AirDrive)... I haven't had any problems with my
<setup... And I don't need to un-plug anything so it must be something
<else....

I know of one dealer in the area that received several bad copies of Populous.
I have Populous and have run it successfully on a 1 Mb 2000 with an external
3.5" drive.  A friend of mine (the same one that's had problems with his
Agnus chip) has run it successfully several times on his A500 with A501
and an external 3.5" drive.

It's a great game.

<BITNET ONLY: A0NJ@UNB.CA

Rodney
--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson

Rodney Ricks,   Morehouse College