[comp.sys.amiga] Looks OK on CBM annual report

morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) (10/31/89)

Despite the fourth quarter loos, Commodore Int'l still has a profitable year.
With a net income of $1.59/share, it seems to me that Commodore International
is actually doing good!

By the way, here is a bit info from the annual report for those who didn't see
it:
	Amiga sales now account for 45% of company's revenue, C64C/C128D for
31% and PC for 24%.  The major sales territory is still in Europe which
accounts for 69%, 24% in North America (it means US is even less!), and 7%
in Australia and Far East (where?).  The best quarter for CBM for last fiscal
year is the second quarter (from 10/1/88 to 12/31/88) which the income is
$1.2 per share compared with $0.69 per share in fiscal 1988, 2nd quarter.
It means Christmas is the best time for Amiga, with the new ad campaign,
the Amiga should be hot in this Christmas!

A penny-worth info:
"The latest addition to the Amiga 2000 series is the Amiga 2500UX... features
a 100 MB hard drive and a 25 MHz, 32-bit Motorola 68030 processor..."

Wow!!!  It doesn't mention the A3000.  But if A2500UX comes with 25 MHz '030
in the CPU slot, that means the A3000 is going to be a 32-bit machine!!!

"Government applications include the utilization of the Amiga in a range of
mission - critical assignments by the U.S. Department of Defense."

The 1989 Commodore Internation Annual Report was designed and produced with
Amiga 2500 and PC 40-III.  Digi-View Gold, Digi-Paint 3, Deluxe Paint III,
Professional Draw, and Professional Page.

+---------+----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|      ///| Morris Y. L. Ng            | Usenet: morris-ng@cup.portal.com |
|     /// | Computer Science & Finance | Portal: Yuklung Morris Ng        |
|    ///  | San Jose State University  | Home  : (###)###-#### (Guess?!)  |
|\\\///   +----------------------------+----------------------------------+
| \XX/    |          "Be my Amiga!  And I will be your Amigo!"            |
+---------+---------------------------------------------------------------+

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (11/03/89)

In article <23539@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) writes:
>"Government applications include the utilization of the Amiga in a range of
>mission - critical assignments by the U.S. Department of Defense."

Great.  Who's making the Ada compiler and where can I contact them?
	     -- Darren

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (11/03/89)

In article <3215@nigel.udel.EDU>, new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> In article <23539@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) writes:
> >"Government applications include the utilization of the Amiga in a range of
> >mission - critical assignments by the U.S. Department of Defense."
>
> Great.  Who's making the Ada compiler and where can I contact them?
> 	     -- Darren

Just because they are being used by DOD doesn't mean that they are using Amigas
for Ada. We've got about 500 - 600 programmers here at the DLA System
Automation Center and there is more 'C' than Ada, and more COBOL (yuck) than
'C' and Ada put together.

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again  |  Michael Figg
Heavy on the thirty weight!"  |  DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/04/89)

In article <20332@ut-emx.UUCP> hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:
|In article <23539@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) writes:
|>
|>A penny-worth info:
|>"The latest addition to the Amiga 2000 series is the Amiga 2500UX... features
|>a 100 MB hard drive and a 25 MHz, 32-bit Motorola 68030 processor..."
|
|	Does this mean that the delay in shipping Amix was caused by a bug in
|the 2620 MMU?  Or just that an O'30 doesn't cost much, compared to an unix
|license?

	The 3 biggest problems in shipping Amix are

		1. Support
		1. Support
		1. Support

	There needs to be a "CUTS" like CATS; there is
	no dealer support; and no formal C= marketing
	strategy as far as can be seen.

	If Amix were released today, who would answer
	the questions & sort out the problems for both
	developers & end-users? How will C= look after
	marketing the system?

	The hardware & software are only a part of the
	picture...

Cheers,
--
  .::.	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (11/10/89)

In article <3215@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>In article <23539@cup.portal.com> morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) writes:
>>"Government applications include the utilization of the Amiga in a range of
>>mission - critical assignments by the U.S. Department of Defense."
>
>Great.  Who's making the Ada compiler and where can I contact them?
>	     -- Darren

Ada is only needed for mission critical (COTS) projects.  Dear, sweet Ami is
used for things like SDI scenerio simulations ( ssssssh don't tell the guy who
wrote the license for the WB upgrade).  Other places of fun and frolic,
such as Lawerence Livermoore labs, some little lab in New Mexico, and others
use the Amiga.  I posted a Federal Computer Week article on several BBS last
year that talked about some of the places that used the Amiga.

By the way, all of you federal types:

I have spoken to R and R Software, JANUS Ada compiler, and was told if they
had enough request for an Amiga port they would definitly consider it.  JANUS
is a fully validated compiler and it sells for about US$300 for their baby
blue version.  The next cheapest validated compiler I found was US$2,300.
If anyone is interested email you response to me and I will compile (?) them
and forward to R and R.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

echarne@orion.oac.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (11/10/89)

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) writes:

>In article <3215@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:

>Ada is only needed for mission critical (COTS) projects.

  Funny, to my understanding it's only required in embedded systems (that's
  why I'm not programmin in Ada currently)

  But I guess embedded systems are generally mission critical ;)

					     -Eli
--
Bitnet: zebcharne@uci.bitnet
Internet: echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu

Ng) writes:
>>>"Government applications include the utilization of the Amiga in a range of
>>>mission - critical assignments by the U.S. Department of Defense."
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Great.  Who's making the Ada compiler and where can I contact them?
>>        -- Darren
>
>Ada is only needed for mission critical (COTS) projects.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

? So where is it then?
Unless the first post was mistaken, it said "mission - critical"

I'm confused, anyone else?
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
The next sentence is true.  The previous sentence is false.

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (11/15/89)

From article <7381@ingr.com>, by phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson):
;>> In article <3215@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
;>> [bunches removed....]
;>> I have spoken to R and R Software, JANUS Ada compiler, and was told if they
;>> had enough request for an Amiga port they would definitly consider it.  JANUS
;>> [...]--
;>> Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
;>> MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497
;>> MY opinion!

There has also been discussions on Lattice's BBS about the possibility of
a Lattice ADA.  I haven't followed the thread closely, but from what I've
seen, Lattice is being fairly non-comittal.  They do, however, seem to
listen to their customer base.  Try contacting Lattice sales about
ADA possibilities, (then let us know)...

Art Mercer
Associate Director, Academic Computing Resources.
040T Library Annex
Wright State University
Dayton, OH 45435

BITNET:  amercer@wsu.bitnet