[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga RS232 problems

gest_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (11/09/89)

I am having problems getting my amiga to interface correctly with the phone

system they have here at my school.  The phone system is named ROLM.  The problem
is that the computer is not recognizing ANY of the data send out of the phone's
built in modem.  It is supposed to be a standard RS232.  The amiga works ok on
a regular modem.  Has anyone had experience with this problem or phone system.

Also, is there a way I can get the motherboard in my computer updated. I think
I have revision 4.1 or something like that. I'd like to get it updated since
someone told me that it might be a bug in the hardware.

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (11/11/89)

>I am having problems getting my amiga to interface correctly with the phone
>
>system they have here at my school.  The phone system is named ROLM.  The
>problem
>is that the computer is not recognizing ANY of the data send out of the phone's
>built in modem.  It is supposed to be a standard RS232.  The amiga works ok on
>a regular modem.  Has anyone had experience with this problem or phone system.

Standard RS232 is an oxymoron.  Well, the problem depends on the software you
are using.  If your ROLM system doesn't supply these signals, your cable should:

Pin 5 - Clear to Send  (connect to DTR if NC)
Pin 8 - Carrier Detect (connect to DTR if NC)

Make sure that pins 12...19, and 21...25 are all NC on the Amiga side.

>Also, is there a way I can get the motherboard in my computer updated. I think
>I have revision 4.1 or something like that. I'd like to get it updated since
>someone told me that it might be a bug in the hardware.

It isn't a bug in the hardware.  New motherboards can be ordered from
Commodore.  (The cost would probably be similar to a new A500)  I've hooked
up my machine to many different serial machines.  Each one has required
a different cable.
-ss

sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (11/15/89)

>>I am having problems getting my amiga to interface correctly with the phone
>>system they have here at my school.  The phone system is named ROLM.  The problem
>> is that the computer is not recognizing ANY of the data send out of the phone's

Be careful when you say that something is standard RS232, there hardly
is such a thing.

I had to build a simple cable for my modem - the AMIGA has some
non-standard outputs on it's serial port, and a straight 25 wire
connector won't work because not all 25 pins should be connected to
the modem.   Get the RS 232 specs for the phone, and also
for your Ami.

From Radio Shack you can get an RS232 jumper box and connect only the
pins you'll really need.  Probably pins 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 20 (Or
something like that) will do.   Be sure not to hook up the audio outs
and power outs that appear on the Amiga serial port.

	-Tom

P.S. - I got an RS232 jumper box for $2 from a store called CompuAdd.
Radio Shack will probably charge $8.00.

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (11/15/89)

In article <SHEFFLER.89Nov14115948@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU> sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) writes:

>>>I am having problems getting my amiga to interface correctly with the phone
>>>system they have here at my school.  The phone system is named ROLM.  The problem
>>> is that the computer is not recognizing ANY of the data send out of the phone's

Be alert to the fact that the ROLM phone system is not HAYES compatible.  It
begins to "listen" for characters on the RS232 line when it sees DTR come up
from the computer.  If the machine asserts DTR (which it does with most
terminal/comm packages) in order to signal the modem that the computer side is
alive (hence; Data Terminal Ready -- DTR -- remember the computer is emulating
a Data Terminal), the ROLM phone assumes (incorrectly in my opinion) that the
computer is trying to send data down the line.  The Phone's DATA light comes
on and expect certain sequences from the Terminal to activate it.  At this
point, you should be able to treat the ROLM phone line the same as if you
were a standard VTnnn or ANSI terminal.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmaus!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                                                          |