[comp.sys.amiga] Vlt bell

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) (11/01/89)

In article <6149@merlin.usc.edu>, aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:
> Quick question about Vlt v4.226:
>
> Is there any way to get rid of that REXX: Can't find/create port'
> when you get a bell from your host?

Quick answer: set the beep volume to 0 in the Operation menu for a visual beep.
              Or, run the accompanying program "ping".

art walker
roadman@portia.stanford.edu
walker@meggie.stanford.edu

kowal@stsci.EDU (Charles Kowal) (11/02/89)

From article <6149@merlin.usc.edu>, by aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry):
> Quick question about Vlt v4.226:
>
> Is there any way to get rid of that REXX: Can't find/create port'
> when you get a bell from your host?
>
> Thanks in advance for (any) replies.

Get into the Macros menu, and turn Program Mode ON.  Then pull down the
Operation menu, and click on Beep Volume.  You will probably see a
requester, with a REXX macro name listed.  Just delete that REXX macro
name, and exit.  Turn off Program Mode, and save your new configuration.

Everything is programmable in VLT - even the beeper!

-Charles Kowal
-Computer Sciences Corp
-Space Telescope Science Institute

menelli@s.cs.uiuc.edu (11/03/89)

    Try turning on program mode and selecting 'Beep Volume'. With program
mode on, you should get a requester asking for the command executed by the
beep function. Just delete all of the text in the requester (it's an ARexx
call to the Ping program), and press RETURN. Voila! Once you turn off
program mode, the Beep Volume option works like you would expect.

    Ron

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (11/03/89)

aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:

>Is there any way to get rid of that REXX: Can't find/create port'
>when you get a bell from your host?

   I'm posting the reply because several people probably have the
same question; an annoying problem if you dont have Arexx.

   This isnt a bug by the way; VLT just comes configured with the
assumption you have Arexx.

   To solve the problem, change the menu option "Program Mode" to "ON".
Then, select the menu option "Beep Volume".  A little requester will pop
up saying something to the effect of "Enter new string/command...".

   Delete ALL the text out of the string requester and hit return.  Turn
off the "program mode" and then "Save configuration".

   If you indeed had Arexx, this requester allows you to create a
custom "beep" to meet your own taste.  If you dont have Arexx, you
must clear out that field, else you will get the annoying error every
time you receive a beep.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

In article <122@coplex.UUCP> dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:
>aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:
>   This isnt a bug by the way; VLT just comes configured with the
>assumption you have Arexx.

This *IS* a bug, BTW. VLT could easily check for the presence of an
installed ARexx and reconfigure itself accordingly (that consumes TWO
lines of code in A-Talk III).  Willy is making the assumption that
everybody has 'his' machine configuration, which of course is not
always the case.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Anthony Adam Hill) (11/15/89)

From 1000's of VLT users THANKS!!!!!!!!![A

   adam hill